Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2015, 02:52 PM   #1

Draing Fresh water tank on 3170DS

I have read through probably 100 pages on this forum, and have learned a TON about my RV. First trip was great, and cannot wait to go again.

How do you drain the fw tank? I found the hose under the RV, and removed the cap. Only a few drips came out. I then opened a faucet, and nothing. I ended up running my pump to get the water out of there. I am sure I am missing something. Please let me know. Thanks!
desant89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:04 PM   #2

On the passenger side behind the rear wheel there is a storage compartment. Inside that compartment is a black plastic hatch cover. Behind that you will find your water pump and filter. There should also be a water line with a valve on it. If you open this up it will drain out of tube underneath your TV without the cap on it.
rsscully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:08 PM   #3

The capped line (Red) under the coach is hot side drain
The blue should be next to it valve location as described above
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:10 PM   #4

Both mine are blue. Go figure. [emoji1]
rsscully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsscully View Post
Both mine are blue. Go figure. [emoji1]
Mine are both blue also
Old 08-05-2015, 07:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by desant89 View Post
Mine are both blue also
Is one capped? The capped one is probably the low point drain for the hot water. The uncapped one would be the fresh tank drain. Well, based on my recent experience, that would be my guess. My fresh tank drain is in a panel inside the basement compartment right behind the passenger rear wheel. Open the panel and you will see water line going down with a valve. Turn the valve and you can then see which line the water drains from (should be the uncapped line).
Old 08-05-2015, 09:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsscully View Post
On the passenger side behind the rear wheel there is a storage compartment. Inside that compartment is a black plastic hatch cover. Behind that you will find your water pump and filter. There should also be a water line with a valve on it. If you open this up it will drain out of tube underneath your TV without the cap on it.

The quarter turn valve is actually behind the panel, to the right of the filter. A little difficult to get to. Just feel for it. You may scrap the back of your hand so, be gentle.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:31 AM   #8

Draing Fresh water tank on 3170DS

Agree on above posts
As I mentioned my capped,red is low point hot
I stated on other threads that I put a shut off valve on the red one too (in the little water compartment ) cause some road debris broke and knocked the cap off of mine while driving one trip and all the hot side including the hot water tank water sucked out from the air pressure flowing over the open hole,
Not really a big deal but all the minerals in the hot tank sprayed back and stained my trailer and I still can't get it "clean" not to mention if I would have turned on my electrical heater on arrival it would have burnt up the element with no water and who carries a spare cap for the low point hot water drain???
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacklem View Post
Is one capped? The capped one is probably the low point drain for the hot water. The uncapped one would be the fresh tank drain. Well, based on my recent experience, that would be my guess. My fresh tank drain is in a panel inside the basement compartment right behind the passenger rear wheel. Open the panel and you will see water line going down with a valve. Turn the valve and you can then see which line the water drains from (should be the uncapped line).
One is capped. That one I have removed the cap,and ran my water pump to drain it. I guess if it were hot, it would still have drained that way. Both lines are blue. I am not with the RV as I keep it at a storage facility, but I will go try to get some pics. Again though, if that is the hot line, when I removed the cap nothing happened until pump was turned on. Of course it did empty my tank with pump though.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:57 PM   #10

I have 2014 3170ds,i found my drain exactly where everyone said ,behind panel in storage area. you do have to look closely to see it as its tucked beside filter,,thx for everyones help
sonny bransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:44 PM   #11

Quote:
One is capped. That one I have removed the cap,and ran my water pump to drain it. I guess if it were hot, it would still have drained that way. Both lines are blue. I am not with the RV as I keep it at a storage facility, but I will go try to get some pics. Again though, if that is the hot line, when I removed the cap nothing happened until pump was turned on. Of course it did empty my tank with pump though.

The capped one is your low point drain. Yes, the pump will pump it out the low point drain.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:48 AM   #12

I'm sorry but I have to ask,,,
If there are that many people that were never shown how to drain FWT,,,
How are they going to Winterize ???
Our lines are 1 Red with cap,,, 1 Blue with out !!!
Red Hot - Blue Cold !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:52 AM   #13
Wait till next year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Red Hot - Blue Cold !!!
They're not. Dealer ploy for business
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by n-e-d View Post
They're not. Dealer ploy for business
Right ON ned !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:41 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Red Hot - Blue Cold !!!
Remember every hour a tech spends doing a PDI is $80-$120 the dealer can not bill someone for service.
Moral: Go to your PDI with a comprehensive list and don't sign until you have completed it.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:28 AM   #16
Wait till next year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Remember every hour a tech spends doing a PDI is $80-$120 the dealer can not bill someone for service.
Moral: Go to your PDI with a comprehensive list and don't sign until you have completed it.
I had a list ,actually a couple that I found here and on the web. I had gone over them to make sure I had them down pat. The only thing I actually did off the list was trying the micro wave with water from the tap. Everything else was choreographed by the "demonstrator" a good ol'boy who was quite entertaining. I was shown the basics. Nothing on the TV,surround system,hot and cold drains,gps,and everything else I found by using the MH. I signed off because it was my bright shinny new toy and because I had a 2hr ride home thru rush hour traffic. Will I do a different PDI next time- You Betcha. But I think this is the problem with a majority new buyers. Next time I will ask the right questions and ask to be shown the how and whys of the systems. In my opinion the best advice for a first time buyer would be to have an experienced RVer with them to ask where the drains etc. are.
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:41 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Agreed, but closely review the checklist to ensure it is correct for your unit.

I created a 10 page list by combining lists found here and other web sources. None of the check lists I found covered the entertainment center "stuff" or other add-on dash electronics. More surprisingly not one covered the generator set either. The chassis was also barely mentioned in even the motor home specific lists I found. But after some cutting and pasting, and adding sections, I have a checklist customized for our 2400W.

When my unit gets back from M-B, they are replacing the DEF Pump, we'll give the PDI another try...
2021 F-150 4X2 SuperCrew Lariat 502A, 3.5L Powerboost Hybrid, 3.55 gears, Tow Technology Package, Tow Mirrors, 1,840# Cargo, 7,000# Tow, 7.2KW Pro Power, Sumo Springs, A.R.E. Z2 Topper

It is better to have too much truck than to have too much trailer.
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:52 AM   #18
geezer with gadgets

Quote:
Red Hot - Blue Cold !!!
Not everyone purchases their MH new or from a dealer. I purchased mine from an individual and had never owned a MH before. I, too, have two blue lines. One with a cap and one without. Very interested in learning about this. Glad the OP asked this question.

Love learning from all the more experienced owners willing to share their knowledge with us rookies!

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 30
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Dave View Post
Not everyone purchases their MH new or from a dealer. I purchased mine from an individual and had never owned a MH before. I, too, have two blue lines. One with a cap and one without. Very interested in learning about this. Glad the OP asked this question.

Love learning from all the more experienced owners willing to share their knowledge with us rookies!

I agree. I bought mine from an older gentleman that had it for one season, and put 2k on it. He was the second owner, and really knew nothing at all about it. He likely paid for winterization (I hope).
Old 08-07-2015, 10:02 AM   #20
geezer with gadgets

Quote:
I agree. I bought mine from an older gentleman that had it for one season, and put 2k on it. He was the second owner, and really knew nothing at all about it. He likely paid for winterization (I hope).
Yea, we purchased ours from a young couple in the middle of a divorce and neither were in the mood to answer a lot of questions! They did let us take it to an RV repair shop and have them check it out, but that wasn't a PDI. It has turned out to be in great shape and we are enjoying the heck out of it. Just glad this forum exists and everyone is willing to share information.

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 30
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3170, drain, fresh water, tank, water, water tank