Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2016, 11:44 PM   #1
Member
 
17Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 90
Driving down mountains

What is the proper way to drive a Chevy 2300 Sunseeker/Forester with six speed auto down steep grades?


Use manual and limit gears used or use drive and the cruise control? But as soon as you touch the brakes the speed control is shut off?

Thanks in advance for your help.
__________________

__________________
2014 Forester 2301 - Chevy
17Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 12:08 AM   #2
Member
 
Zooming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Montreal
Posts: 63
When driving heavy vehicles up and down hills, you want to go down in the same gear you would go up.
And do your slowing down at the top before starting down a steep hill to reduce gaining too much speed.
If braking, let the brakes cool by braking down about 10 mph and release, when speed increases by 10 mph,
repeating braking down 10 mph. Don't use cruise control.
__________________

__________________
Zooming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 12:35 AM   #3
Member
 
17Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 90
My question is directly related to down hill with Chevy six speed.
Your answer is just a generic answer, and is not directly related to using the Chevy six speed offerings and information on using drive or the manual setting.
__________________
2014 Forester 2301 - Chevy
17Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 01:32 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 138
Driving down mountains

the the advice given was solid. so add the word Chevy in each sentence. use the "m" setting to choose the gear you need. or if in tow haul mode "d" will provide some engine braking, but given it can't tell exactly which hill you are driving down, it is better in manual shift. give the owners manual a read.
__________________
poorbuthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:06 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
geeman53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 2,149
tow / haul mode = engine braking !
__________________
2016 sunseeker 2250slec
1988 Jayco p.u.,Coleman Plantation p.u.,1989 Jayco class c, Coachman TT,1995 Little Eddie fthwheel,2007 Heartland Sundance 2500 lS fthwheel
geeman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 12:32 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Media, PA
Posts: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorbuthappy View Post
the the advice given was solid. so add the word Chevy in each sentence. use the "m" setting to choose the gear you need. or if in tow haul mode "d" will provide some engine braking, but given it can't tell exactly which hill you are driving down, it is better in manual shift. give the owners manual a read.
I have not used the M setting yet in my travels but my understanding is that it will not go higher than the highest gear you set it to. That should help with a mountain decent.

I do use the tow/haul option quite often on the steep hills in my area and it definetly helps.
__________________
2017 Dynamax REV 24RB

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:22 PM   #7
Member
 
17Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
I have not used the M setting yet in my travels but my understanding is that it will not go higher than the highest gear you set it to. That should help with a mountain decent.

I do use the tow/haul option quite often on the steep hills in my area and it definetly helps.
Thank you Delco bobby for your input. I have read the Chevy manual and just wanted to touch base on the newer six speed trans and the options given for downhill driving.
This is what I feel the owner’s manual is saying and just wanted to verify that I am understanding it correctly:


For more or less straight down hills were speeds can be controlled by the “Normal Mode Grade Braking”. Which would mean using regular drive selection with cruise control set to speed wished. And with the Tow/haul selection made to add to the effect if needed. I believe the normal mode grade braking is dependent on the cruise being set to the speed desired.


For steeper grades were slowing down for road conditions is mandatory it would be best to use “Manual Mode” to select the highest gear that can be used on the fly and without the cruise control. And this would not give you the automatic grade braking as above. Tow/haul could be used to increase the effect if needed.


I thought it was a simple question and I realize the importance of reading the manual. But I cannot say I never made a mistake in reading some instructions and thought better to check out the details on the Chevy six speed before testing on a steep downgrade. That is why I emphasized Chevy six speed and clearly stating using regular drive verses manual mode. Wanted trans information as this trans offers different options.
__________________
2014 Forester 2301 - Chevy
17Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:50 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Media, PA
Posts: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Racer View Post
Thank you Delco bobby for your input. I have read the Chevy manual and just wanted to touch base on the newer six speed trans and the options given for downhill driving.
This is what I feel the owner’s manual is saying and just wanted to verify that I am understanding it correctly:


For more or less straight down hills were speeds can be controlled by the “Normal Mode Grade Braking”. Which would mean using regular drive selection with cruise control set to speed wished. And with the Tow/haul selection made to add to the effect if needed. I believe the normal mode grade braking is dependent on the cruise being set to the speed desired.


For steeper grades were slowing down for road conditions is mandatory it would be best to use “Manual Mode” to select the highest gear that can be used on the fly and without the cruise control. And this would not give you the automatic grade braking as above. Tow/haul could be used to increase the effect if needed.


I thought it was a simple question and I realize the importance of reading the manual. But I cannot say I never made a mistake in reading some instructions and thought better to check out the details on the Chevy six speed before testing on a steep downgrade. That is why I emphasized Chevy six speed and clearly stating using regular drive verses manual mode. Wanted trans information as this trans offers different options.
I just read the manual on this again. It could be made clearer.

I have the 6 speed trans on my 2013 2250 Sunseeker on a 2012 Chevy 4500 Express Van chassis.

It seems to me that the "range selection mode" offers the option to limit the highest gear used. From the manual, "The Range Selection Mode helps control the
vehicle's transmission and vehicle speed while driving down hill or towing a trailer by letting you select a desired range of gears." (Excuse the formatting)

The manual does recommend using the tow/haul mode for downhill driving. I believe this is also referred to as "grade braking." If I understand this correctly, grade braking is not available if the range selection mode is activated.

I believe that the "manual mode" discussed is referring to the 4 speed transmission.

Personally, I would deactivate cruise control on steep downhill sections. I don't think we have an interactive cruise control as some of my recent cars have had. Your vehicle is newer and that may have been added.

I also don't like cruise control on some uphill legs because when the trans downshifts my speed may increase as much as 5mph before I cancel it. this happened on a recent trip on Interstates. I had to cancel the cruise control or ram the vehicle in front of me. My cruise control was set for 65 but I hit 70 before cancelling.

Anyway, I hope this reply makes sense.

Bobby
__________________
2017 Dynamax REV 24RB

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:13 PM   #9
Member
 
17Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 90
Bobby,
Thanks again for your input. I agree with just about everything you stated. Especially about the manual not being the clearest.


I have used the grade braking feature but only on slight downgrades. It does require you to be in Drive and with the cruise on. But if you need to touch the brakes the cruise shuts off which seems to deactivate grade braking and also allows the trans to up shift. That combination of results is just what you don’t want and is very disliked by me.


I am going to use the range selection mode more often now to get use to the different uses it offers. You do give up the auto grade braking option but it does offer more manual control. Before I get some really steep twisty roads I want to be more aware and comfortable with it.


And it does seem that tow/haul might program the trans for better results.


The cruise control is not the greatest in many ways. It does seem to jump just as you say and can’t be shut off quick enough on up hills. And also when going slower than 10 mph under your set speed and touching resume. Trans jumps down 2 gears in attempt to get back up to speed when all I wanted was just too smoothly increase the speed. I wish it had some type of adjustment for the rate of speed increase. But for most interstate driving it is a plus. Again thanks for understanding my question and replying. Just needed a wall to bounce it off of.
__________________
2014 Forester 2301 - Chevy
17Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:19 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Media, PA
Posts: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Racer View Post
Bobby,
Thanks again for your input. I agree with just about everything you stated. Especially about the manual not being the clearest.


I have used the grade braking feature but only on slight downgrades. It does require you to be in Drive and with the cruise on. But if you need to touch the brakes the cruise shuts off which seems to deactivate grade braking and also allows the trans to up shift. That combination of results is just what you don’t want and is very disliked by me.


I am going to use the range selection mode more often now to get use to the different uses it offers. You do give up the auto grade braking option but it does offer more manual control. Before I get some really steep twisty roads I want to be more aware and comfortable with it.


And it does seem that tow/haul might program the trans for better results.


The cruise control is not the greatest in many ways. It does seem to jump just as you say and can’t be shut off quick enough on up hills. And also when going slower than 10 mph under your set speed and touching resume. Trans jumps down 2 gears in attempt to get back up to speed when all I wanted was just too smoothly increase the speed. I wish it had some type of adjustment for the rate of speed increase. But for most interstate driving it is a plus. Again thanks for understanding my question and replying. Just needed a wall to bounce it off of.
First I want to say that I am glad that you brought this subject up on this forum. I had read that section of the manual many times and did not fully digest it. So you gave me a reason to review it again and now I believe I understand what Chevy intended to convey.

Are you positive that the grade braking only works with the cruise on? When I use the tow/haul mode and not in cruise control it seems to be working.

I should also get used to the manual mode before I find myself coming down a steep Pennsylvania mountain.
__________________

__________________
2017 Dynamax REV 24RB

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mount

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00 PM.