Old 03-18-2019, 02:53 PM   #1

Question Driving or parked level?

Searched, didn't see anything relative to this question ... When stopped the front end is low - Sunseeker 2300. So leveling usually has to be done (front needs to go up 2-3 inches). Consequently, as our motorhome is going down the road, the front is low. My air bags have 10 lbs. pressure, increasing bag pressure raises the rear presumably to help the suspension springs on a heavier load. . . My question; Is there a reason the front is low? As other vehicles on the road including RV's are relatively level. I understand there should be a small variance from level when parked for shower drain, rain runoff, etc. Is there a way to level the motorhome to start with? That would save some aggravation when parked on a level concrete pad or ground and still have to "level" the motorhome.

ja4781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:00 PM   #2

I have never heard that before, have you measured the frame on a flat surface so you know it's not an illusion. Even with air bags the frame should be level, maybe I'm wrong. If I am I'm sure a member will set me straight.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:14 PM   #3
PPST Wannabe

Just so the doctor doesnít feel neglected.....

Itís not that heís wrong, itís that heís not often right.

Just sayiní

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:36 PM   #4

Geez, I always get a warm feeling when I read your posts,

Old 03-18-2019, 04:02 PM   #5

Are there any handling issues (wandering) at highway speeds.

Being nose down reduces the runtime +caster.

Ford ships all E350/E450 cut aways with identical fixed, non adjustable
caster/camber sleeves, "one size fits all".

The RV builder almost never changes the Ford sleeves, as a result:

If the final RV build is nose down one degree then the runtime caster will be about +3.5 degrees. These units can have a real wandering problem.

If the final RV build is nose level then the runtime caster will be about +4.5 degrees. These units are probably indifferent.

If the final RV build is nose up one degree then the runtime caster will be about +5.5 degrees. These units are probably just fine, possibly excepting the 31 footers.

So, some RVs have a problem and some do not have a problem. JMO.

POPULAR MECHANICS MAY 1973:
START QUOTE:
If too little caster exists, the car will wander and weave,
thus necessitating constant corrections in steering.
END QUOTE:
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
I have never heard that before, have you measured the frame on a flat surface so you know it's not an illusion. Even with air bags the frame should be level, maybe I'm wrong. If I am I'm sure a member will set me straight.
I've not measured the frame to ground. Even so, the interior of the motor home leans forward (nose down). Don't know how to insert photos but I used a level on the frame & the floor, both are 3/4 bubble off. The rear wall outside. leans forward, again 3/4 of a bubble. It is definitely walking uphill from front to back ... It's been this way since I bought it new. Never gave it much thought ... I'm thinking it should be somewhat close to level. No "wandering" issues while driving ... It is a Chevrolet chassis. What say you?
ja4781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja4781 View Post
... It is a Chevrolet chassis. What say you?
duh ... but still interesting to know the difference.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:16 PM   #8

Chevys do tend to have a low front end. Ours is the same, but it drives very nice, so I won't change it. It does take more blocks under the front tires to level when parked, thus I tend to find spots that raise the nose if possible.
If you observe other vehicles such as ambulances & school busses on Chevy/GMC, they all run nose low.

The fridge is the only thing that is sensitive to level, but only when parked. Yet, the fridge tolerates 6 degrees front to back (door to condenser), and 3 - 4 degrees side to side. The Chevy chassis has a 1 to 2 degree slope, so the fridge is fine while parked on a level surface.

It looks odd, especially compared to other chassis, but that's the way it is.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemc View Post
Chevys do tend to have a low front end. Ours is the same, but it drives very nice, so I won't change it. It does take more blocks under the front tires to level when parked, thus I tend to find spots that raise the nose if possible.
If you observe other vehicles such as ambulances & school busses on Chevy/GMC, they all run nose low.

The fridge is the only thing that is sensitive to level, but only when parked. Yet, the fridge tolerates 6 degrees front to back (door to condenser), and 3 - 4 degrees side to side. The Chevy chassis has a 1 to 2 degree slope, so the fridge is fine while parked on a level surface.

It looks odd, especially compared to other chassis, but that's the way it is.
You know I have a Chevy chassis, and I have never noticed that the front end was lower, looks pretty much the same front and back when on level ground, my unit is in my sloped driveway right now so I can't check, if it is it certainly never bothered me, and it drives fine, all I did was add a steering damper from etrailer mostly for front blowouts and it helps my wife to stop over steering. I never had a problem, but she did. Now no problem for her.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:52 AM   #10

One thing I have read on this thread is that adjusting the castors can raise or lower the front end height. Did I read that right? I googled what adjusting a castor does, I at least couldn't find that, but I know nothing about cars or trucks, I leave that up to my mechanic. But found that interesting to read if it's correct, like I said I have not found that, maybe someone can point me in the right direction to find that..interesting point.