Old 06-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
Mega Member

Dual Rear Tire

I want to replace a vale extension on the Outside rear dual tire on my 2004 3100 Sunseeker. Rather than deal with jacks, etc. I was wondering if there would be a problem driving that one inside tire up on a leveler, leaving the outside tire raised and able to be removed to get the extension properly seated and tightened. Would this cause undo strain to the chasie? Seems if you can drive the unit for a short while to get a tire replaced (a recent post I read below), you should be able to do this...but....I want the wisdom of others and experience. Thanks!

Old 06-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #2

Years ago that is how we would install snow chains on an outside rear Fire Apparatus/Engine tire. We just carefully drove it up on a handmade ramp and threw chains around the outside tire. But, I would drive both rear duals (left & right) up on the ramp at the same time. Then place a jack stand under the axle near the side you are going to remove a wheel.

2013 Forester #3051SF
2009 Toyoda Tacoma (toad)
2010 Newmar Dutchstar (Sold)
2011 Fleetwood Bounder (Sold)
trwmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:25 PM   #3

That wold work if you had Budd style lugs. I am betting that you don't, it will have a single nut that holds on wheels.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRollingRoadblock View Post
That wold work if you had Budd style lugs. I am betting that you don't, it will have a single nut that holds on wheels.
How can a person with duals tell which they have?
Old 06-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #5

I agree it may not have dual locking nuts. This is usually found on heavy trucks. Use caution safest way would be a floor jack to raise the rear axle and then heavy jack stands one on each side near the wheel. If you are not sure then don't risk damage and possible injury.

2013 Forester #3051SF
2009 Toyoda Tacoma (toad)
2010 Newmar Dutchstar (Sold)
2011 Fleetwood Bounder (Sold)
trwmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
How can a person with duals tell which they have?
The inner wheels are held on with a nut/bolt with a square end that holds the outer tire which is held on with a regular lug nut. It has a tapered end to hold and center the inner wheel. You can run the truck with one wheel whereas the other style both wheels are held on with lug nuts. In other words, if you can take the lug nuts off and remove both wheels, you do NOT have the Budd style lugs.