Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2016, 01:20 PM   #1

electric awning not extending

Tried to extend the electric awning but would not extend. Noticed the fuse was blown, changed it and blew again. Jumped the switch and there is power to the switch but the switch is acting funny, not a smooth "push". Could the problem be the switch or the motor?
mbbrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:35 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Try hooking 12v to the motor leads on the awning.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:47 PM   #3
Site Team

The problem could be either. The switch could be shorting internally or the motor could be bad. OC suggesting connecting straight to the motor. That would tell you if the motor is good.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:26 PM   #4

That's the way to do it. Bypass the protective device with power; what's the worse that can happen. Don't you have a meter to check the motor?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:49 PM   #5
Sky&Scuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
That's the way to do it. Bypass the protective device with power; what's the worse that can happen. Don't you have a meter to check the motor?
I don't think there is a protective device at all going to a power awning. Just 12VDC power and a switch. I was just rewired the brand new camper.

Could just be a bad switch or loose connection. Wife and I just traded the Flagstaff 25KS for the Catalina 253 RKS and as I was tearing apart the new camper I found several crimp ends very loose and was able to just pull right off. I usually fix as I am installing my upgrades.

Here is a pic of the dimmer I installed for the awning LED lights. Right behind that panel is the switch for the lights and the power awning switch.

Old 07-05-2016, 04:11 PM   #6
Site Team

No one said to bypass the protective device (fuse). If the OP just bypasses the switch with jumpers the fuse is still in the circuit and still protecting the motor.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:42 PM   #7
Sky&Scuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
No one said to bypass the protective device (fuse). If the OP just bypasses the switch with jumpers the fuse is still in the circuit and still protecting the motor.
Yea I usually keep a little fuse block that I can change fuses a 3 or 5 amp is a good start. I have it with two alligator clips one on each end for situations just like this. Just clip it in line with the Pos side and you protected if you are worried about over amp'n and burning something up.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
And I quote "Try hooking 12v to the motor leads on the awning" and there was an X2 asserting that was the way to go. And evidently another input did not read the OP's issue where the FUSE blew and when changed blew again. Typically, the awning is fused directly off the battery (15 amp I think, maybe less) and I know 12 volts is classified as low voltage. Just suggested a meter that would assure no motor short to ground.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:09 PM   #9

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
2 things,,,,make sure your locking knobs aren't binding the attempt,,,,and look for the obvious.....any bare wires touching metal?
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:01 AM   #10

electric awning not extending

I am by no means an electrical expert
But when my awning was doing what yours was doing my (junk) factory batteries were the problem
They would show a full charge but came down very quickly
Other problems led me to test batteries and after I dropped in two new Interstates,the awning quit popping fuses and Has worked perfectly ever since (over a year)
Good luck it's a frustrating problem and I hope it's a simple fix like mine was minus the two months of trouble shooting switch/motor/connections etc

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, electric