Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2015, 06:55 AM   #1

Electric Socket Under Kitchen Cabinet in Sunseeker 3050

Anyone have any solutions for the electric socket under overhead cabinet over sink on right side ,very awkward. Appliance cords do not reach, have to plug in surge and bring across window area and not liking the look and feel it is not safe so close to water faucet. Has anyone come up with better solution, are installed new socket on left of cabinet. Love my kitchen, but, evidently someone wasn't thinking when they designed where to install the socket. Thanks for any solutions !
Sunnyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:32 AM   #2

Plug

I just plugged a power strip in and velcroed it to wall under the plug on counter. Wire tied wire to window trim.

J. V.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:34 AM   #3

Any reason why it can't be relocated? You could put a faceplate over the old location to hide the hole.
biznsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:29 AM   #4

Yes, I was thinking about the Velcro , but, just don't like the look of the power strip. I was also thinking about getting another outlet installed on the left underside of cabinet. Has anyone had that done. We would have to have someone do it, since my husband doesn't do that sort of thing. Wondering if so, can it be done and how much cost. Thanks biznsa and J.V. for your thoughts.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:19 AM   #5

They install the outlet into the upper cabinet because you can't put an outlet into the exterior wall. You could easily mount another outlet wired in series with an existing outlet to another area of your under counter cabinets. Don't worry about danger of shock from the over cabinet outlet it should be GFCI protected.
Handydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 04:37 PM   #6
Retired

We have the sunseeker also and have our coffee pot there next to the sink. We put that putty on the bottom of the coffee maker and it stays there. We have over 17,000 miles on our sunseeker and traveled up & down mountains and it has not moved. If we wanted to move it we just use a little force and pick it up and then to put it back in that spot take the old putty off and put new putty down. The putty is made by Duck and is called poster putty at Walmart or Lowes. The coffee maker's cord is short and does not lay on the counter. My sister had used the putty for that purpose and told me about it.
tennlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyfun View Post
Yes, I was thinking about the Velcro , but, just don't like the look of the power strip. I was also thinking about getting another outlet installed on the left underside of cabinet. Has anyone had that done. We would have to have someone do it, since my husband doesn't do that sort of thing. Wondering if so, can it be done and how much cost. Thanks biznsa and J.V. for your thoughts.
X2. When we get back home next week, we're going to check with an electrician to see about having an outlet installed on the left underside of that cabinet. It's definitely inconvenient where it is now as no appliance fits to the right of the trash opening.
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:24 PM   #8

Sklpn Terri, I totally agree, not sure what they were thinking when they put it on the right side. Our 3050 is a 2014, I think I saw where the 2015 has it on the left. I will probably end up with doing what you are going to do. That is the only thing I don't like in our Sunseeker, so I guess that's not too bad.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennlady View Post
We have the sunseeker also and have our coffee pot there next to the sink. We put that putty on the bottom of the coffee maker and it stays there. We have over 17,000 miles on our sunseeker and traveled up & down mountains and it has not moved. If we wanted to move it we just use a little force and pick it up and then to put it back in that spot take the old putty off and put new putty down. The putty is made by Duck and is called poster putty at Walmart or Lowes. The coffee maker's cord is short and does not lay on the counter. My sister had used the putty for that purpose and told me about it.
Thanks tennlady, that sounds like I could use the putty to keep the surge socket in place too.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyfun View Post
Have an outlet like that also....I just bought another outlet...box and cover and wired the new on in by splicing into the wires of the original box. Moved it a lot closer to the coffee makers. The original one is still functional. I use it for charging the cell phones and my cordless drill.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:41 PM   #11

Was going to do the same until I took the existing outlet out and saw its a splecial all-in-one outlet and encloser for very shallow spaces. If you can find/order an outlet type like what's there, it would be a 10 min job as it's one shared cavity.

That requires too much advanced planning for me... So I buttoned it back up and plugged back in our white appliance extention cord stuck up under cabinet and plugged the coffee pot back in. 😘
Old 05-17-2015, 02:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfinder5 View Post
Was going to do the same until I took the existing outlet out and saw its a splecial all-in-one outlet and encloser for very shallow spaces. If you can find/order an outlet type like what's there, it would be a 10 min job as it's one shared cavity.

That requires too much advanced planning for me... So I buttoned it back up and plugged back in our white appliance extention cord stuck up under cabinet and plugged the coffee pot back in. 😘
Sounds like it isn't so easy to change, thanks for the info. Maybe at the rally I will find out if they have that special type outlet of course we will need to pay someone to put it in.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
Have an outlet like that also....I just bought another outlet...box and cover and wired the new on in by splicing into the wires of the original box. Moved it a lot closer to the coffee makers. The original one is still functional. I use it for charging the cell phones and my cordless drill.
Sounds like that works, now all I need is to find someone who can do it, without charging a arm and leg. Terrific ! Thanks

Tags
305, electric, sunseeker