Old 12-22-2017, 04:44 PM   #1

Electrical Issue. Holiday Ruined!

Attempted to go camping in our 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS over the holidays. First night the power went out. We were plugged into shore power (30amp). Only thing powered on was the tv. We were able to reset and the power was restored until the next day. This time, the tv was on and when we went to use the microwave the power went out again. Tried previous methods to restore and nothing worked. Checked the surge protector and it showed normal conditions. We decided to unplug our cord from our coach and was surprised to find that it was burnt. Holiday trip came to an abrupt end! Please see pics. Has anyone experience this?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4493.jpg
Views:	1066
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	158815Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4494.jpg
Views:	1103
Size:	350.6 KB
ID:	158816

twochicksandarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 04:49 PM   #2

I have seen that when the plug is damaged creating heat. Looks like you will need to replace the coach plug receptacle and the power cord. Is your surge protector at the pedastol your hardwired?

sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 04:52 PM   #3
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
I have seen that when the plug is damaged creating heat. Looks like you will need to replace the coach plug receptacle and the power cord. Is your surge protector at the pedastol your hardwired?

X2. ^^^
Old 12-22-2017, 04:53 PM   #4
llr

if there is any RV dealer / parts store in your area you should at least be able to find enough for a temporary fix. I had the plug end melt once and just used the generator over night and got a plug the next day.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:54 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
Is your surge protector at the pedastol your hardwired?
I think I see it on the ground in the second picture.

Depending on your skill set or maybe a mobile RV tech, this can can be repaired fairly easily, so you could continue your trip. The hardest thing may be finding the parts this close to Christmas.

Are you close to a Camping World, or RV dealer?

Just imagine, for a moment, if there were no hypothetical situations.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 04:57 PM   #6

It is an easy fix. I replaced the receptacle on my coach in less than 15 minutes. Three screws removes it from coach and the connections are right there. As noted the trick is finding a replacememt.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:00 PM   #7

Yes, I had the exact same thing happen last summer. We never lost power but discovered the issue when we smelled it. The cord was fused on.

In our case, when I removed the burnt plug, the screws on the bank were so lose the wires barely were in the plug. My theory is the loose wires caused the heat.

FYI...ours is also a 2015 3010
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:01 PM   #8
Fulltime family RVer

Two Chicks, have you abandoned your trip already? Don't let this hassle ruin it! A mobile RV tech can typically come to the rescue or give it a whirl on your own. Worst cast scenario, do you have a generator? Just run off of your own power until you can get a proper fix.

But don't let it ruin the trip. Trust me when I tell you- I seem to have trouble following me and we try to not let it get us down. Just ask me about getting stuck last weekend in a Walmart parking on a Sunday needing a mobile mechanic and a leaf spring replaced!
Old 12-22-2017, 05:01 PM   #9
Site Team

overheated prong most likely due to a loose connection on either the power cord or back side of the trailer mounted male. Many times it is on the trailer side. If the connections are not tight, high current draw will cause the connector lug to heat up. Eventually it can arc and eat away the lug.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
overheated prong most likely due to a loose connection on either the power cord or back side of the trailer mounted male. Many times it is on the trailer side. If the connections are not tight, high current draw will cause the connector lug to heat up. Eventually it can arc and eat away the lug.
Agree, seeing that the whole blade terminal came out and the wire is still visible in the hole there's a good chance it wasn't tightened down properly.

TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical