Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2016, 08:46 PM   #1

Electrical issues

Hello I just bought a 2008 2860 sunseeker about six months ago. Been running great. This past weekend was running off generator. It all of a sudden quit and now generator starts but there is no power from generator in the unit. No furnace no lights fridge ect... anyone have any ideas? Checked breakers and fuses under bed. they seem ok. Are there any anywhere else that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

Michael
Princephilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:50 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

You didn't mention what make and model of generator you have. That may help.

Do any of your electrical items work if you're powered from a power outlet at a campground or your house?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:55 PM   #3

Hi it is a cummins Onan rv generator. I haven't tried to plug into my house. Will do tommorrow and see if it works on shore power.

Thanks

Michael
Old 10-10-2016, 09:47 PM   #4

Might check the breaker on the generator itself. Those items you said didn't work are DC powered and don't need generator AC power to work if your coach battery is charged.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:18 PM   #5

Hi guys. I just checked and it doesn't work off shore power either.

I also tried the breaker on the generator and it is not the problem.

Thank you for the ideas.

Michael.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:15 PM   #6

I had a similar thing happen. Try wiggling your battery cut-off switch. Turn off, then on, etc. If the generator starts, then the battery is working so it's related to the 12v side, somewhere between your battery and your 12v accessories. It could also be a "master" 12v fuse coming off the battery (if it exists). I don't know anything about your particular unit, but just offering general information.
Demco Glide Ride pin box
Demco Hijacker UMS 21K hitch
mlatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:47 AM   #7

It may be that the automatic transfer switch (assuming you have one) went bad (or something inside it) and now there's no connection to shore or generator? Just a wild guess. Where that switch is I have no idea, but its there somewhere.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:04 PM   #8

In my Sunseeker 2300, the transfer switch is under the bed. Access by removing 4-6 screws and lifting off a half sheet or so of plywood. I've not had any trouble with mine as of yet, but since I'm a retired industrial electrician, exploring the electrical systems was high on my priority list! If your 120 volt/12 volt power box isn't in the bed base, look for the power change over relay somewhere nearby. It is a metal box around an 8" cube, and is marked as to what it is. Since you have checked all the breakers and fuses (all of the 120 volt stuff is on breakers)but still have no power on shore or generator, double check your main breaker (30 amp) You have to push the breaker handle firmly to the off position before you can reset them, just like home breakers. This should at least get you in the ball park!

A really handy tool to have is a non-contact circuit tester, available from Home Depot or Lowes, or any electrical supply house. It will light up and beep when the end gets near a wire or connection that is live, even through the insulation. This saves a lot of time, as well as shocks!
Photo Lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 07:24 PM   #9

Hello after checking everything it was the converter. Which is located in the power outlet storage compartment. About 300 shipped cnd.

Thank you for all your replies.

Happy camping.

Michael.

Tags
electric, electrical