Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2014, 11:33 AM   #1

Electrical Question

Today I was looking underneath my 2012 2650 and at the left of the entry door I noticed that all the DC electrical wires from the coach terminated and were connected into an electrical bus located just outside the battery compartment under the step. This termination point (bus and electrical wires) is open to the elements and covered in foam insulation sprayed from the factory as well as dirt and mud.

This bus could have easily been located in the nearby storage compartment and protected; but my question is whether this is an issue I should be concerned about. Thanks for any input.
TomG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:47 AM   #2

IMHO any time electrical terminations are exposed to the elements, you've got troubles. Mostly stray currents from dirt/dampness causing corrosion. Spraying them with foam, if done well enough to completely insolate them would work for a while, if perfectly done; but likely its not.
Geri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:49 AM   #3

sorry
maybe if you could build your own box over the connections
Geri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:42 PM   #4

I would check the connections and clean them up if you find corrosion. Then get some insulating foam at a home supply store and seal things up.
Since you are in Fla you don't have to worry about driving on salted roads so you should be OK.
It amazes me that some people drive these things in winter on salted roads as here is an example of why they are not built to handle it.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:03 PM   #5

It would be my choice to clean..coat with brush on electrical tape..cover with something(inner tube or plastic wrap or something)...then insulate with whatever. First choice of course... Junction box. Hardly any except military are going to be "water-proof" so problem will still exist. IMHO
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:44 PM   #6

You can also try some dielectric grease. I have a lot of exposed contacts on my ATV that I use for plowing, and anything exposed is coated with the grease. It keeps the elements off and maintains electrical continuity.
Agewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:15 PM   #7

Most vehicle engine starter/solenoid (including the Ford V-10) are located in the wettest, grimiest of environments and seem to do OK. The generator is next (right in-line with the front wheel spray)
My coach was similar but I noticed the FR sprays the terminals with red anti-corrosion spray; something seldom seen even in the automotive industry.
If you think it might make the connectors safer, install vacuum caps over the terminals. It's what we did on our boat.

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:53 AM   #8

The box to the left of the entry door is the Battery Control Center. It connects the battery to the disconnect switch in the stairwell, the connections between house and chassis battery, convertor/charger, etc. Like any battery connections to engine, starter, etc. that are under the hood, the connections are made to withstand some exposure to the elements. The general DC connections to various circuits in the MH are located inside at the back of the fuse panel.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:59 AM   #9

RVBill.......I understand; but the placement of the bus and house DC connections are to the outside of the battery control control box, (directly adjacent to it), but outside where the bus and wires are exposed to the weather, water, mud etc.
I don't see how I can build a box to protect the junction, but I will try some of the spray-on protectorants mentioned. I don't know what models of Sunseeker have this DC wire connection placement issue (or maybe I am the only one wondering if I should be concerned about it?)
TomG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:12 AM   #10
Commercial Member

It's a molded plug so there aren't any issues. It's the same way with cars, all the 12V systems can get wet, dirt, grime etc. All models get routed to the BCC that is located in the step well. Ground wires are sprayed with the red anti corrosion coating. The foam that is there is not for the wires, but over spray from getting all the cracks and crevices. (preventing mice and dust).

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:40 PM   #11

I have the same arrangement in my 2011 2300. I was concerned about it at first for the same reason; didn't like the idea of possible long term effects from road spray etc. It definitely would have been nice if FR had solved the problem in the factory! I thought about trying to fabricate a somewhat waterproof cover for the cable termination area but with all the cables coming and going there was no straightforward solution.

In the end I just marked it down as a yearly maintenance item to check that whole area, making sure all the connections are clean and tight.

Cheers!

Jim G.
jgrant911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical