Old 01-02-2016, 03:10 PM   #1
Electrical Woes

Getting ready to flee the cold for Fl. We hadn't used the RV much since summer but would plug into external power for a day or two each month. Today, when going to start, I found the truck battery dead and thought - no problem I'll use the alternate batteries only to find them really dead (4.5v). I tried disconnecting the batteries and found that only a volt or so was incoming from the aux power system. Went back to the power pack which normally hums when active - all quiet. Two fuzes in the power pack, checked both, both good. When I replaced fuzes after checking, I noted a little spark as each was plug in - somethings drawing a little current. Batteries full of water. Any ideas where to go next short of the shop? Any more fuzes that I missed?

Geri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:11 PM   #2
Any chance you just need to leave it plugged in for a few days to fully charge everything? Also, if you're plugged in, can you check the voltage at the battery(ies) to see if you're actually charging? When you say "1 volt coming in from the aux power system," do you mean the converter? We may be able to help ID your problem but need more info/symptoms.

2015 XLR Hyperlite 30HFS5 (mods being performed regularly)
2009 Salem LA 292fkds (gone)
Nights- ('12)23 ('13)23 ('14)15 ('15)31 ('16)25
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2014 VW Jetta TDI (diesel sipper, camping support vehicle)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:30 PM   #3
Site Team
If your 12V battery reads 1V DC when at rest, and you plug in the RV, the converter will try send a high current to the battery to attempt to charge it. In many cases the current will be high enough to blow one or both of the high current fuses in the converter and the battery will not charge. Try charging the battery ( out of the RV for safety) with a standard automotive battery charger. Once it is charged and you check the fuses, you can continue to troubleshoot if necessary. Battery may not be salvegable

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:35 PM   #4
If your battery reads 1 volt..

Chances are, you're going to need a new battery.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Kenny kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:13 PM   #5
I would pull the battery's and charge them each at a time , then take them and have a load test performed. If OK then put back in and start looking for a problem. If you don't have, get yourself a volt/ohm meter to test with.
2012 SunSeeker 3100SS Toad-1962 Futura
A32Deuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 03:37 PM   #6
Adding to Flybob's post, I have a small (5 amp) charger that simply overloads if I try to charge a dead battery. I connect the dead battery to a vehicle, start the vehicle, and let it charge the battery for a while. This puts a "surface charge" on the battery. My low amp charger will then work to complete the charge.

2011 Sunseeker 3100
1997 Pathfinder Toad
RamblerGuy is online now   Reply With Quote

electric, electrical