Old 02-01-2014, 01:44 PM   #1

Emergency brake goes to floor

I recently bought a 2011 Sunseeker 3120. The problem is the emergency brake goes all the way to
the floor. Is there an adjustment somewhere? Thanks

Old 02-01-2014, 02:09 PM   #2

I would be more concerned with the brake pad/shoe being worn out or a broken cable on one side.
Something is not right and further investigation is warranted.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:18 PM   #3

Just looked at my chassis 2010 e450 with a 3170 on it so it should be the same. I did not find any adjustment for the e brake cable did you check to see if you have a broken cable
Old 02-01-2014, 02:30 PM   #4

Good comments, I'll start with the cable and track it back. I couldn't imagine the rear brakes would be worn out at 21,000 miles, but I'll check them if I can't find any cable issues. Thanks for the response.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:34 PM   #5

If your chassis is a Ford Triton V10 it may have a parking brake that is not the same as an emergency brake. The parking brake applies brake shoes to the output shaft of the transmission (mounted on the aft end of the transmission). The set up for this is within a housing containing a fluid which applies brake shoe pressure to the transmission (drive shaft) output shaft. A steel cable runs from your parking brake foot lever to the housing to accomplish this. It may be that the housing is low on fluid but more often than not the housing has failed and all fluid has drained out. The housing is not a repairable item and only option is replacing it. I believe the cost is around $400, give or take not counting installation. Of course this is predicated upon your parking brake being of this type and maybe it's just a cable problem. Good luck.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:51 PM   #6

If there was an adjustment I don't think that it would be able to compensate for it going all the way to the floor. Can you ask the former owner what he thinks about the e-brake issue. imo, I would not think the brake pads would be worn down after so few years of service unless this unit was on the road a lot and had a lot of miles on it. imo, cable came loose or broke for some reason. cable should not have broken on such a new unit. If the brake pads have been changed, the e-cable may not have been put back on correctly. just know for now that you can not trust the the e-brake until the problem is found. Do the hydrolic brakes work fine and are firm?

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy P View Post
Good comments, I'll start with the cable and track it back. I couldn't imagine the rear brakes would be worn out at 21,000 miles, but I'll check them if I can't find any cable issues. Thanks for the response.
Pad/shoe wear could be attributed to unintentionally driving with the brake on or partially on.
Not saying you did, but someone else may have.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:57 PM   #8

I do have the ford v10. The brakes are firm, no excessive travel or anything. They stop the rig fine. Definitely need to have checked out. Great comments
Old 02-01-2014, 08:10 PM   #9

I would suggest you move quick. This should be covered under Ford's 3 / 36 warranty I would think. So if the unit went into service on 3/1/11 (as an example), you have this month to get it fixed under warranty.

'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes