Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2014, 05:52 PM   #1

Emptying the black tank

I have learned how to empty out my black tank, even did a trial run with just " liquids" if you know what I mean. Question is if there is solid waste that goes into the tank with my dissolving tablets and water mixture, about how long will it take for it to dissolve down? I don't want to dump too soon if it hasn't has time to break down with the chemicals. Thanks again to all you seasoned veterans for the help you have been providing. I'm a big fan of this forum, learning a lot more than what the dealership explained.
beachbum107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:00 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The solids will probably never break down in your black tank.
With or without chemicals.
Best practice is to wait till the black tank is completely full before emptying.
Then flush after every trip if you have a black tank flush.
Always leave a few gallons in your tank when traveling and not in use.

Using the geo method is a great solution as well.
Search geo method on this forum.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:37 PM   #3

Use lots of water when using the toilet...water is your best friend to carry solids out the tank when dumping.
Chemicals are useless...this is just a holding tank, doesn't stay in the tank long enough for it to work.
After dumping I back flush the tank and then put a few gallons back in the tank and hit the road.
Never had an issue yet.
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:38 PM   #4

Yeah, the only thing that "breaks it down" is driving on Ok highways!

The chemicals mask the smell and that's about all. I don't even us them most of the time except for storage between trips.

I dump every time I disembark a campground with full hookups and/or when its full. Full for my family of five is about 4-5 days.

I have a black tank flush I added to the tank directly. So, full or not I dump as I'm leaving one campground and headed to the next 8 hours away. It's just part of my disconnect procedure. I only do this at sites with full hookups, which is pretty much 90% of my travels.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:30 PM   #5

don't wear flip flops when opening the cover of your black tank flush
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:12 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I never got any results from the chemicals. We switched to the Geo method a few years ago and haven't looked back. Best thing is too dump when 2/3 or more full. If you don't want to let it sit in your tank then you can fill the tank with water before dumping. Follow dumping with flushing the tank well with either a toilet wand or a black tank flush. Fill tank up a bit and dump again. Repeat until tank runs clear coming out. We have a clear elbow so we can see what is coming out and know when it is clear. When done put a few gallons of water back into the black tank. Never leave a black tank empty unless you want the dreaded stone mountain to appear. Also empty your grey tank after you empty your black tank.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:05 AM   #7
L2R

I always put a bag of ice down the toilet just before leaving the campsite to let it scrub the tank while driving until it melts.

The GEO method looks good and going to try it. I still think the ice is a good idea to help scrub it if it needs scrubbing, I don't think ice melts in 5 minutes..
L2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:18 AM   #8

I don’t agree with the others. I believe the chemicals do help to break down the solid human waste rather quickly. However, I don’t think the toilet chemicals do anything to break down toilet paper so I always use one-ply toilet paper that dissolves rather quickly.

This is based on my observation since I have a clear elbow on my sewer hose. We are completing our eleventh season of RVing and haven’t had an issue with the black tank yet.

As others have said, use plenty of water when flushing solids and don’t dump the black tank until it is about three quarter full or more. If your Sunseeker has a black tank flush use it as often as you can.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:25 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I don’t agree with the others. I believe the chemicals do help to break down the solid human waste rather quickly. However, I don’t think the toilet chemicals do anything to break down toilet paper so I always use one-ply toilet paper that dissolves rather quickly.

This is based on my observation since I have a clear elbow on my sewer hose. We are completing our eleventh season of RVing and haven’t had an issue with the black tank yet.

As others have said, use plenty of water when flushing solids and don’t dump the black tank until it is about three quarter full or more. If your Sunseeker has a black tank flush use it as often as you can.
X2 , But I have to say this GEO method sounds interesting.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:27 AM   #10

I need to figure all this stuff out as well. Just took delivery of the pop up and have to learn this black tank stuff.

Great comments here.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:29 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
X2 , But I have to say this GEO method sounds interesting.
It works if your diligent in its use.

Hardest part is installing the geo method after dumping to leave cg and adding a few gallons of water.

Turbs
Old 09-24-2014, 06:49 AM   #12

Unique RV Digest-it works for me. I've been using it for the last couple of years now. It seems to break down the solids. I also use a water softener to make things slippery & a couple of capfuls of liquid laundry detergent. I have a clear elbow and watch what drains out. So exciting!!!! As said use water. We dry camp most of the time.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:05 AM   #13

My experience with a BLACK tank
Yes I use Chemical the kind that looks like Rid X in a little pouch.
Yes I wait till the tank is near full
Yes I have a clear elbow
Yes I add a bag of Ice for the ride home after I dumped (new pouch)
Yes I back flush after second dump at home into my sewer clean out in my front yard (oh so that's what that capped pipe in my yard is)
Yes I back flush till running clear
Yes new pouch and a couple gallons for storage and next trip.
Happy Black Tank!!!
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:00 AM   #14
Dazed & Confused

Here is what I use to really get the tank clean. RV Swivel Stik Tank Rinser
M&K Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:01 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
It works if your diligent in its use.

Hardest part is installing the geo method after dumping to leave cg and adding a few gallons of water.

Turbs
When traveling with the camper it may be harder or more of a pain. But with the seasonal site we have this year it should be a can of corn

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:04 AM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
When traveling with the camper it may be harder or more of a pain. But with the seasonal site we have this year it should be a can of corn
Perfect!

Turbs
Old 09-24-2014, 08:13 AM   #17

I read the Geo method and it sounds interesting
But my research says the the rid x style of RV toilet packets breaks down solids in 2to4 days (enough to keep things semi liquid during a normal trip.
Also I added a bag of Ice to a empty tank (2gallons water) and drove 20 minutes to my home then took another 10-15 to set up my dump and there was a light crackle in the tube from the tiny bit of ice still in the system
Sooo no, it doesn't melt (standard gas station bag) in 5 minutes and yes the melted ice is nice and brown on the second dump
Did you ever look at the little detergent cups and softener cups your better half uses to do laundry?
Ours are all sticky and gummed up with residual product
I don't want that in my tanks
Best thing to do is back flush till running clear
If you don't have back flush just refill the entire tank with water after the ice dump and let her fly again
Have fun and do what works for you
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:14 AM   #18

I've been using the geo method since I read about it on these forums, plus I put a "potty tab" into the black tank as well. Calgon water softener, Purex laundry detergent, and a potty tab in the black, Calgon/Purex only in the gray. I always fill the tanks before dumping. Before I had a black tank flush, I'd just refill my black tank with clean water and dump again, then add the chemicals for the next trip and some water. Never had any issue with buildup or smell. Now the black tank flusher takes the place of that 2nd fill/dump, but I still do that with my gray tank.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:25 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfinder5 View Post
Yeah, the only thing that "breaks it down" is driving on Ok highways!
Now, now, that's not fair...... You forgot about Detroit's highways!

My family's not shy to use the black tank, so I'm often at 1.5-2 days before I'm full. No time at all for chemicals to really do any good other than masking smell.

To take care of solids I just use the tank flush to fill 'er up 2-3 times after the initial dump and then dump again. Usually that 2nd or 3rd dump I no longer see brown or paper bits in the elbow, so I figure I'm 'clean enough'. Throw in a couple of gallons, some TST, and then drive home.

The TST I put in before I leave the campground sits there until we get back to a campground for our next trip. Sometimes next weekend, sometimes next month. If it's sat for a while I might throw some more TST in when we get there, but usually I don't and just rely on what was added before going home the previous trip.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:55 AM   #20

Always an interesting topic. Here is a site The Fit RV that may shed some light on a few myths. (just cause the clear elbow shows clear, it ain't necessarily so) I also use the geo method. Our dumping ritual is really simple. Since we have a black tank flush, we first fill the black tank using the flush. DW watches the indicator lights (ours actually work) and when the tank is full we pull the valve. We repeat this usually twice. At that point DW has the water softener and soap mix ready and we put that down the toilet. Done per the method, that's about 4 gallons of water and mix sloshing around for the next X miles. Total time involved ant the dump station is around 15/20 minutes. Bottom line, no smells and no problems. Our kids use the chemical (Happy Camper) method. Not so good. We notice the difference right away when we visit their camper.
The "fitRV" guy also tested the ice in the tank cleaning method. Interesting results. He's also going to test some different chemical options in the future.
Finally, we are somewhat minimalist in the use of bleach. A cup per holding tank with about a gallon of water seems to work for us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_5999 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	515.9 KB
ID:	63457  
Currently enjoying second childhood
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank