Old 09-23-2014, 06:52 PM   #1

Emptying the black tank

I have learned how to empty out my black tank, even did a trial run with just " liquids" if you know what I mean. Question is if there is solid waste that goes into the tank with my dissolving tablets and water mixture, about how long will it take for it to dissolve down? I don't want to dump too soon if it hasn't has time to break down with the chemicals. Thanks again to all you seasoned veterans for the help you have been providing. I'm a big fan of this forum, learning a lot more than what the dealership explained.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:00 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The solids will probably never break down in your black tank.
With or without chemicals.
Best practice is to wait till the black tank is completely full before emptying.
Then flush after every trip if you have a black tank flush.
Always leave a few gallons in your tank when traveling and not in use.

Using the geo method is a great solution as well.
Search geo method on this forum.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:37 PM   #3

Use lots of water when using the toilet...water is your best friend to carry solids out the tank when dumping.
Chemicals are useless...this is just a holding tank, doesn't stay in the tank long enough for it to work.
After dumping I back flush the tank and then put a few gallons back in the tank and hit the road.
Never had an issue yet.
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:38 PM   #4

Yeah, the only thing that "breaks it down" is driving on Ok highways!

The chemicals mask the smell and that's about all. I don't even us them most of the time except for storage between trips.

I dump every time I disembark a campground with full hookups and/or when its full. Full for my family of five is about 4-5 days.

I have a black tank flush I added to the tank directly. So, full or not I dump as I'm leaving one campground and headed to the next 8 hours away. It's just part of my disconnect procedure. I only do this at sites with full hookups, which is pretty much 90% of my travels.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:30 PM   #5

don't wear flip flops when opening the cover of your black tank flush
Old 09-24-2014, 01:12 AM   #6
Site Team

I never got any results from the chemicals. We switched to the Geo method a few years ago and haven't looked back. Best thing is too dump when 2/3 or more full. If you don't want to let it sit in your tank then you can fill the tank with water before dumping. Follow dumping with flushing the tank well with either a toilet wand or a black tank flush. Fill tank up a bit and dump again. Repeat until tank runs clear coming out. We have a clear elbow so we can see what is coming out and know when it is clear. When done put a few gallons of water back into the black tank. Never leave a black tank empty unless you want the dreaded stone mountain to appear. Also empty your grey tank after you empty your black tank.
asquared is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:05 AM   #7
L2R

I always put a bag of ice down the toilet just before leaving the campsite to let it scrub the tank while driving until it melts.

The GEO method looks good and going to try it. I still think the ice is a good idea to help scrub it if it needs scrubbing, I don't think ice melts in 5 minutes..
Old 09-24-2014, 07:18 AM   #8

I donít agree with the others. I believe the chemicals do help to break down the solid human waste rather quickly. However, I donít think the toilet chemicals do anything to break down toilet paper so I always use one-ply toilet paper that dissolves rather quickly.

This is based on my observation since I have a clear elbow on my sewer hose. We are completing our eleventh season of RVing and havenít had an issue with the black tank yet.

As others have said, use plenty of water when flushing solids and donít dump the black tank until it is about three quarter full or more. If your Sunseeker has a black tank flush use it as often as you can.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:25 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I don’t agree with the others. I believe the chemicals do help to break down the solid human waste rather quickly. However, I don’t think the toilet chemicals do anything to break down toilet paper so I always use one-ply toilet paper that dissolves rather quickly.

This is based on my observation since I have a clear elbow on my sewer hose. We are completing our eleventh season of RVing and haven’t had an issue with the black tank yet.

As others have said, use plenty of water when flushing solids and don’t dump the black tank until it is about three quarter full or more. If your Sunseeker has a black tank flush use it as often as you can.
X2 , But I have to say this GEO method sounds interesting.
2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:27 AM   #10

I need to figure all this stuff out as well. Just took delivery of the pop up and have to learn this black tank stuff.

Great comments here.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank