Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2014, 08:14 AM   #1

Entry door problem

I am the second owner of a 2014 3500SS. From the beginning, I noticed a lot of road noise from the entry door area. One night on the road I looked over my shoulder and noticed that I could see the street lights over the top of the door...the next morning I had a closer look and found that there was a huge gap between the top of the door and the door frame. On next trip to the dealer, that was on my list to have looked at, to see what they could do to close up the gap. Their solution was to remove the door and re-install it 1/2 inch higher.

Now, it squeaks like crazy going down the road since the catch could not be adjusted up high enough to accommodate the new door location, the graphics on the door don't line up with the graphics on the side, and there is still a gap over the door. I'm not interested in returning it to the dealer for another attempt...will probably re-install the door to its original location to get rid of the squeak (drives me NUTS going down the road) and try to take up the gap over the door.

Any suggestions on taking up that gap would be appreciated....
rad_jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:26 AM   #2

I had a similar problem , but mine was at the bottom of the door, Took it to the dealer and forest river said to replace the door, When i picked it up now there was a huge gap along the side of it, could see light outside, Due to other problems, I then took it to the factory and they installed another new door, this time it was done correctly. No more problems.
Kevin & Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:01 PM   #3

First don't take anything to that dealer again!! Removing and replacing the door frame properly may not even work if the door cutout is too high. I would put the door back the way it was to get your graphics lined up, find a scrap door frame for parts, graft in 1/2" of the top section to take up the space and give the door gasket something to seal against. With some cutting and filing you should be able to massage it to look good. A few screws would hold it fine to the original door frame.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVer View Post
First don't take anything to that dealer again!! Removing and replacing the door frame properly may not even work if the door cutout is too high. I would put the door back the way it was to get your graphics lined up, find a scrap door frame for parts, graft in 1/2" of the top section to take up the space and give the door gasket something to seal against. With some cutting and filing you should be able to massage it to look good. A few screws would hold it fine to the original door frame.
Best Idea yet.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:40 AM   #5

OK...finally got around to putting the door back the way it was...I've attached a picture of what I found when I started taking the hinges off. The larger lower triangle are the holes where the dealer "fixed" it.
Note that in each set of the original holes, there is a broken off screw in the original hole.
Also note that the dealer drilled holes are bigger and in some cases pretty close to the original holes. If I reuse the screws I have, I'm concerned about the integrity of the holes. If I go with smaller screws I have the same concern. Not sure what to do here...thinking it's possible this door is junk at this point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1429461607392.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	74671  
rad_jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:10 PM   #6

since the door is mass produced...odds are that the placement in the casement was fine. rift the hinge side of the casement up or the striker side down. if the graphics were applied after the incorrect install....cest la vie. is it a warranty issue? new door at this point, the hinge point is a spaghetti strainer...

edit: okay...second owner. original holes, see if the gap at the top angles, indicating incorrect alignment in casement.
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:20 PM   #7

This looks like the work of a Chimpanzee with a drill and no clue what to do with it.

Take it back to the stealership and made them redo it on their nickel.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:27 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

You can salvage the door by gluing wood in all the holes and let it set for at least 12 hours and then start over from scratch at hanging it.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:05 PM   #9

^^^two more good posts^^^
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:07 PM   #10

If there is a wood frame inside the door, okay but I thought the framing was aluminum like the rest of the walls. I would remove the door and take it to a weld shop who can weld up the holes in the aluminum grind them smooth so you can start over and rehang the door.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:12 PM   #11

I would consider this door trash and replace it with an entire door, screen and frame assembly. Use the old door for parts. Just me.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote