Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #1

Eternabond application

I have a 2011 Sunseeker 2300. I am wondering if anyone has applied Eternabond to the molding where the front face of the cab-over compartment meets the sides of the compartment? (I am referring to the older-style construction, not the new fiberglass caps.) I realize that the Eternabond should probably not be wrapped around the edge of the molding, but is there any reason it should not be applied to the forward-facing surface to protect against water infiltration? (This application would result in part of the Eternabond being “upside down.” See the following.)

As a related question, has anyone applied Eternabond to the molding that covers the bottom seam of the cab-over compartment? (I am referring to the molding that runs across the bottom of the compartment directly above the cab.) In this case, the Eternabond would be attached to the underside of a horizontal surface. In other words, it would be “hanging” on the surface rather that “resting” on it. I wonder if anyone has had any success in using it in this inverted orientation. I know it is sticky as all get out, but am not sure if it is designed for this application.

Input from those in the know would be appreciated.
Al Fresco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #2

I tend to over do things. After cleaning edges with acetone I wrapped Externabond from roof over front and rear edges. Rubber roof to aluminum side edges. Then used Decor and caulked the edges of of Externabond. I also used a J roller when I was applying
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #3

Jim44646,

Thanks for the info. It is good to know that Eternabond can be successfully applied over the edges of moldings. I am still curious, though, if anyone has used it in the applications specified in my opening post.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Fresco View Post
I have a 2011 Sunseeker 2300. I am wondering if anyone has applied Eternabond to the molding where the front face of the cab-over compartment meets the sides of the compartment? (I am referring to the older-style construction, not the new fiberglass caps.) I realize that the Eternabond should probably not be wrapped around the edge of the molding, but is there any reason it should not be applied to the forward-facing surface to protect against water infiltration? (This application would result in part of the Eternabond being “upside down.” See the following.)
You say to see following but I don't see any attachments. This stuff is so sticky it sticks to itself for lapping corners
Old 01-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
Lottery Non-Winner

I think he's specifically asking if Eternabond can be successfully used UNDER an overhanging surface where gravity might tend to pull it down over time since it would not be on top of the repair site.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovair View Post
I think he's specifically asking if Eternabond can be successfully used UNDER an overhanging surface where gravity might tend to pull it down over time since it would not be on top of the repair site.
I've never used it like that but I don't think there would be a problem. I used it on the front seam where the siding meets the roof. Putting it on the roof and lapping it over the front side. With all the wind forces working on it while being towed it hasn't shown any signs of coming loose or blowing off. it's been up there a couple of years and many miles. The trick is good prep. Nothing pulls that stuff loose.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #7

I have some Eternabond to use to seal my TT when I finish
repairing the rot. I had also thought of using it to create an
extra seal around the windows. (wrap it from outside skin,
over the wood and overlap the internal panel. then seal
the normal way - putty, etc.)

But my son, an architect, suggested that I use rubber
membrane to seal the windows. The kind that is 4" wide
and sticky as heck on one side. Then seal the normal way.
It seems to me that the rubber would conform to the curves
better than eternabond..???.. And it's self sealing.

Has anyone had experience with using this stuff on an RV?
Results?

thanks,
johnd
Medical research shows that men have a "biological clock" too. The older we get, the greater the NEED to drive a TRUCK!
dnaraG_1M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim44646 View Post
Externabond is rubbery very sticky and conforming. Externabond more expensive but comes in white. The stuff don't come off easy. check externabond web site. Not sure how it would stick to wood, never tried it.
As I said, I already have some eternabond for the roof / seams.
My concern is how well it will stick and how flexible.
Thus, my questions for someone who has used the rubber
membrane. The family architect says it's great for normal
buildings. I *KNOW* it sticks to wood; don't ask how I know!!!!
(It also comes in white, but that doesn't matter as I would trim
it to be behind the trim pieces and not show......)

cheers,
johnd
Medical research shows that men have a "biological clock" too. The older we get, the greater the NEED to drive a TRUCK!
dnaraG_1M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #9

As a matter of clarification, when I wrote "See the following," I was referring to the next paragraph. Sorry for not being more specific.

Tags
eternabond