Old 02-25-2016, 05:47 PM   #1
Expanding Foam

I'm installing a battery monitor which has necessitated me having to chip away some of that brown expanding foam that seals the exterior openings to the bottom of the rig (to run a cable).

I know you can buy the regular home grade stuff to refill the openings in any hardware store, but do I need to use a special "grade" or type of it since some of it will be exterior (on the bottom)?

Any recommendations are appreciated.

jeffreymhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:02 PM   #2
If you get it from Lowes be sure to purchase the minimum expanding stuff and not the big gap sealer. Let it cure fully then trim with a utility knife.

1999 F250 w/7.3L Diesel
2014 Silhouette 299RKDS
Nights Camped 2016 - 21

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:43 AM   #3
"Great stuff" makes a version of expanding foam that is designed for "varmints". I guess it tastes bad to them! It seems they would ALL taste bad to me, but you never know with mice. I had to seal the underside of my Solera in 6 places where the factory failed to completely seal openings cut for wires and pipes. Lead to mouse in the house syndrome. They chewed my heating duct runs under the kitchen cabinets. The way I identified the openings was to shine a very bright light under the rig at night, and look for projections inside where there was inadequate sealing. Took me three days to find them all. Some were so large I had to use wire mesh to create a location to attach the expanding foam to. Otherwise it would just fall down on me. If I didn't have safety glasses on at the time I'd have lost an eye! Dangerous stuff, that great stuff!
Eric Jackson
Ottawa Ontario Canada
2015 Solera 24R
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 02:04 PM   #4
You can use regular hardware store foam. The only thing you have to worry about is exposure to sunlight, and you won't have that.
2014 Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Snowman9000 is offline   Reply With Quote