Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #1

Extended Service Plans

I was looking for opions and information about extended service plans-the good, bad, and ugly,any input would be appreciated.Thanks.
Six Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:54 AM   #2

I priced some for my 2012 2300. Considering that the engine and drivetrain have 5 years/50,000 miles from GM, and everything else has some warranty, it was very expensive. I decided against it. Just MHO, it would be cheaper to "self insure" by keeping the money in my bank account.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:23 AM   #3

I also declined the extended warranty on our 2011 Sunseeker 3100, which is on a Ford chassis. It appears that the chassis seldom gives problems (how many used RV ads state trans or engine has been rebuilt?) and has a long warranty. The appliances had a 2 year warranty so the extended warranty would only be covering the third year. The cost of it would have paid for a new refrigerator and then some.

If you can fix things yourself, or educate yourself to the point where you can, you would probably come out ahead without the extended warranty, even if something broke. Look on line at prices for a replacement air conditioner, furnace, water heater, and refrigerator. You can replace any of these yourself. A convertor may require electrical troubleshooting that some aren't comfortable doing. Same with the generator but I don't hear of many failing electrically.

The main questions are how much will you do yourself and how much risk are you comfortable with. Also consider how much will you have to pay for service anyway as deductibles each time you take it in.

In two years we've driven ours 21,000 miles and camped about 250 nights. I've only changed the oil and filter in the chassis. I had to modify the hood vent flap (it was junk) and adjust the water heater ignitor electrodes. Those are the only repair issues I've had. We've had some minor problems (cabinet door lift struts, 12 volt receptacle pulled out, etc.) but they were easily and cheaply repaired.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:03 AM   #4

Guess I should learn how to spell before I post anything else. Opion??? That's called two finger typing one finger brain.Thanks for the replies,you bring up some very good points.My experience in the past has been with trailers and on the last one, a Prowler, I had a lot of electrical problems,heater relay,circuit board in the water heater,even the thermostat and many other things,it got expensive after a while.Thanks guys.
Six Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #5

Here's my view on extended warranties (using fictional numbers):

Let's assume you buy one from Company A. It costs you $100. Now, Company A has to pay their expenses & make a profit. So, they need to pay out less than $100, maybe something like $90.

In order for an Company A to remain in business, they must charge more than they pay out.

That said, there are people on RV forums (& other items you can buy extended warranties for) that have stories of paying $100 for an extended warranty but having a $200 repair covered. That is the excepton & not the rule. Again, the house must win more than they lose in order to remain in business.

So, given that, assuming the law of averages for your RV, most people would do better by NOT buying the extended warranty.
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote