Old 01-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Pack View Post
Just wondering guys,don't they still sell those hand pumps (camco I think)to winterize from the kitchen sink?I used that method on my three trailers and many of my friends rv's for many years.All you had to do was drain the lines,blow them out,pump in the antifreeze and open the faucets at each location until you saw pink and add to the traps and toilet.

Agreed, I drain all I can, air blow everything from the shore connection then pump in antifreeze. using the main pump and a hand pump for the shore connection line.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #32

Water heater drained?

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
If you did not get the anode out; how did you drain it? Using the plumbing to drain the hot water heater has risks. Bits of anode (a normal process) and calcium deposits can get swept into the cold water pipes when using the low point drains to drain the hot water heater.

When you hook up fresh water in the spring, that rubbish in the pipes can be pushed into faucets and the flush valve on the toilet causing low pressure and flush problems.

I would not use that technique next year.

Close the bypass system first, then using the appropriate socket, extension, and wrench to remove the anode and using a flush wand made for flushing out the heater (or a homemade one, like the photo) flush out the garbage from the bottom of the water heater.
Ok, we got a 1 1/16" socket, removed the anode... expected undrained water to spill out but it was dry. Is it safe to assume that the plumbing to HWH is safely drained? Should we try to fashion a wand to rinse out the heater now... is there likely "gunk" in there? Should we clean the anode in any way?Then replace the anode or plug?

Guess we will deal with the possibility of minerals and gunk in the plumbing when we dewinterize.

I'm afraid to do much of anything any more without confirmation here.... seems that the manual is not a reliable source of information.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:13 PM   #33

Need to push antifreeze into the shore connection line?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVer View Post
Agreed, I drain all I can, air blow everything from the shore connection then pump in antifreeze. using the main pump and a hand pump for the shore connection line.
Ok.... do we need to do this or risk those pipes freezing?? Nothing mentioned in manual about this. If so... what kind of hand pump do I need to look for and where?
Old 01-24-2013, 06:27 PM   #34

To help you understand the process better " google" rv winterization on u tube. Watch several different video's. They vary slightly, but will give you a better understanding of the process
Old 01-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #35

Quote:
There is a 3 way valve they screw into the input line. It is all fixed up with threaded fittings so you don't do any plumbing except hand tighten the fittings till they do not leak.

Camco RV Winterizing Pump Converter Kit by Camco 36543

Camco RV Pump Converter Winterizing Kit - Mills Fleet Farm

If 13 bucks is a bit high, you can just buy a plastic 1/2 inch NPT female to 1/2 inch barb fitting. Just screw the hose fitting going to the fresh water tank and hook this up to the inlet screen filter on the suction side of the water pump.

Nylon Hose Barb x Female Pipe (NPT)

TFS44 TFS44 -- 1/2" Hose Barb x 1/2" NPT Female Pipe (Nylon) $2.15

There is a fuse right at the water pump that I use to turn the pump on and off so I can monitor the level in the 1 gallon jug so the pump does not suck air.
Interesting the dealer does something like this temporarily to winterize my unit but quotes me a couple hundred bucks to install a winterization line to the water pump (again, they were saying it was because the space was tight & they would need to remove some of the wall in the storage area to get at the water pump for the install). Maybe the permanent solution is different than the temporary solution.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #36
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Pack View Post
Just wondering guys,don't they still sell those hand pumps (camco I think)to winterize from the kitchen sink?I used that method on my three trailers and many of my friends rv's for many years.All you had to do was drain the lines,blow them out,pump in the antifreeze and open the faucets at each location until you saw pink and add to the traps and toilet.
Yep CAMCO sure does. Very handy little gadget.
RV Hand Pump Antifreeze Winterize Winterizing Kit | eBay

I use my outside shower hose to flush out all the check valves using this adapter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WATTS A-663.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	23416   Click image for larger version

Name:	WATTS A-663 in use.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	23417  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:56 PM   #37
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

This little diagram helped me understand winterizing a lot better.

Name:	watersystem.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	23418
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #38

I bought this pump at harbor freight (it's on sale for $5 now) , an air blow mail adapter to connect it from the pump outlet line to the city water hose female connection (about $2 at Walmart) , and small hose clamp.

Multi-Use Transfer Pump
Old 01-24-2013, 09:05 PM   #39

Quote:
Yep CAMCO sure does. Very handy little gadget.
RV Hand Pump Antifreeze Winterize Winterizing Kit | eBay

I use my outside shower hose to flush out all the check valves using this adapter.

Good point, you don't want to forget about the black and gray water flushers if you have them.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:00 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post

Interesting the dealer does something like this temporarily to winterize my unit but quotes me a couple hundred bucks to install a winterization line to the water pump (again, they were saying it was because the space was tight & they would need to remove some of the wall in the storage area to get at the water pump for the install). Maybe the permanent solution is different than the temporary solution.
Here is how I installed the winterizing valve in a tight space.

Before

Name:	ForumRunner_20130124_215858.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	23421

After

Name:	ForumRunner_20130124_215953.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	23422