Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #1

Factory customizations?

Hi guys,
I'm looking to buy a new motorhome but I have a problem... I'm 6'9" and finding something under 35' that fits is a really challege. We're looking at a Sunseeker 3170 and like most everything about it except for the 74" long mattress. It appears you can't put in an 80" mattress because it would interfere with the cabinets when the slide is in.

So I guess my question is does FR ever make 1 off customizations? I've seen other models where they put an 80" mattress in the slide by making the cabinets tall enough to slide over the top of the mattress.

Or does anyone have a suggestion on a motorhome that wouldfit a really tall guy better?

Thanks,
Eric
efinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:37 PM   #2

You want to take a look at Coachmen including either the Freelander or Shamrock lines (Coachmen is a different division of Forest River). They use an 80" mattress in most models. Also, a lot of their showers are corner models which seems a little more spacious. Some of the downsides are they use a rubber roof, their gray / black tanks are smaller, & there are less standard options.
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:35 PM   #3

The Georgetown XL 350 has a king size bed and 4" more in ceiling height then other Motorhomes.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #4

Thanks for the Coachman suggestion. We saw that info online but we can't actually find one in person to look at. I do like the options and features of the sunseeker better but being able to actually sleep at night trumps all of those other features.

We also really like the Georgetown XL with bunks but it is 35' which is getting awfully big for the places we like to go.
efinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:14 AM   #5

We have the 3170DS, I am 5'10" and my feet hang off the end of the bed a little bit. You would think, How is that possible...the bed is 74" and I am 70". Let's be realistic, Who sleeps with thier head touching the wall?

Anyway, when the slideouts are pushed out we solved this by pulling the mattress off the bed about 6inches and filling the gap between the mattress and wall with a large rolled up comforter. The pillows rest on top of this gap and the extra length gives us plenty of leg room. Now our 74" bed is 80"s.... Best of Luck on your RV choice..
Old 06-18-2012, 07:41 AM   #6
Commercial Member

^^What hunt247 said^^. I have seen another Sunseeker owner stuff a 6" piece of foam @ the head of the bed. Comforter seems to be a more efficient use of materials.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #7

Correction...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
You want to take a look at Coachmen including either the Freelander or Shamrock lines (Coachmen is a different division of Forest River). They use an 80" mattress in most models. Also, a lot of their showers are corner models which seems a little more spacious. Some of the downsides are they use a rubber roof, their gray / black tanks are smaller, & there are less standard options.
Meant to say Leprechaun instead of Shamrock. Got the Irish connection right at least.

Great idea on sliding the mattress down & putting the comforter in the open space up there. I am 6 ft 2 in so have similar problems.
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #8

Another option I saw in an RV magazine is to install an 80" mattress and prop it up to about a 45 degree angle which will give enough room to close the slide.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote