Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2015, 06:08 PM   #1

Failed propane regulator

Just sharing a recent experience.

The night before leaving for a trip, I had the fridge running on propane and batteries (no shore power). I went out to lock things up and I heard this load flow noise from the vicinity of the propane hatch (passenger side). I had never heard such a sound and given the fridge used VERY little propane, I investigated further. Short version of the story, the first stage of my regulator had failed and propane was dumping out the vent hole.

So, I shut off propane and we started our trip with a large cooler filled with our food and ice in the back of the toad.

Along the way to our destination I was able to stop and buy a new regulator at a RV store. Cost me about $50. I quick and easy to replace and I was back in business, less the money and about 1/4 tank of propane.

Lesson learned for me is to buy a spare regulator and carry it with us. From my research these things fail fairly often and I don't ever want to be stuck without propane during one of our trips.

The regulator that came with our unit lasted less than three seasons, one like this Amazon.com - Mr. Heater F273763 Propane Two Stage Regulator 1/4" Female Pipe Thread(inlet) X 3/8"Female Pipe Thread (Outlet) - Gas Pressure Regulator.

This regulator was highly recommended so I just ordered one as a backup.

Amazon.com: Marshall Excelsior (MEGR-295) Compact Integral Two-Stage Regulator: Automotive

Wes
Old 07-17-2015, 06:21 PM   #2

Wes, how come you didn't run the fridge with your Generator? Save bringing the cooler along. Good thing you got it fixed and can enjoy the trip.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:11 PM   #3

Many of us have had failed regulators. Mine was less than a year old when it did the same thing. Now always carry a spare and (of course) have had no further problems. I recommend everyone get a spare. Only a matter of time...

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 07-17-2015, 11:05 PM   #4

No time for the fridge to get cold before loading up food, cooler was no problem at all! Running generator was not option at the condo!

2014 Sunseeker 3050S

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 07-17-2015, 11:19 PM   #5

I had no idea folks were seeing newer reg failures. I did just install a new camco on a motorhome and had it creep where the pressure just kept increasing on the low pressure side with No appliances on. It was on a old winnebago with the built in manometer at the rear of the fridge. Otherwise it would not have been caught. I switched to marshall excelsior to give them a try.

BTW, thats the correct reg with the vent facing down...vent always faces within 45 degrees of down.
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 06:22 AM   #6

Makes it clear, thought you were on the road Wes.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:10 PM   #7

A couple years ago, my regulator evidently cracked going over broken pavement in Jacksonville, FL - didn't realize it until I got into the campground and got my 2860 DS Class C all set up. This was the 2860's maiden voyage btw... Then I smelled it... !! That was before I used to tow a car. Not easy to take the rig off the site, plus it was after hours on a Sunday, had some epoxy that I used to try to seal the crack. It worked to some degre. I kept the leak to a minumum with the epoxy and duct tape until we moved to another park a few days later when I was able to get another regulator. I too carry a spare with me now.
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:16 PM   #8

I am not sure of the details...prolly get a Fisher regulator and never have to do it again. IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, propane