Old 08-14-2015, 01:58 PM   #1

Fiberglass?

Just looked on top of my 3010DS for the first time (making sure Maxxair II vent covers would be unimpeded before I ordered them) and was more than a little astonished to find that my fiberglass roof is really Marlite, gooped up with heavy caulk around all the vents and other rooftop miscellany. When I say Marlite I mean white, bumpy, gas-station-bathroom Marlite. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, given my experience to-date with the unit, but I kind of thought full body paint meant...oh, IDK, FULL BODY PAINT. I guess the roof isn't part of the body? Am I naive to be unpleasantly surprised?

2015 Sunseeker 3010DS
2005 Honda Element (toad)
Now, Voyager, sail thou forth, to seek and find.
widogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:39 PM   #2

Probably the roof membrane which is either TPO or EPDM is what you see

read more here:

Where the Rubber Meets the Roof | RV PRO

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
Probably the roof membrane which is either TPO or EPDM is what you see

read more here:

Where the Rubber Meets the Roof | RV PRO
That's a good though, but this is definitely shiny, white Marlite. I tried to attach a picture of the only exemplar I could find online (hey, it's not something people take pictures of. Will try to get up on the RV roof to take a photo of the actual deal.

2015 Sunseeker 3010DS
Old 08-14-2015, 02:47 PM   #4

It is my understanding that the roofs of the Sunseekers are fiberglass with a textured, non-slip finish. I believe that is what you are seeing.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:57 PM   #5

OK, got a picture to upload. I get wanting to have it nonskid, and I appreciate that...but this looks like the inside of a 1982 Conoco station's bathroom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunseeker_Roof_08_14_15_3_.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	85664  

2015 Sunseeker 3010DS
Old 08-14-2015, 03:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacklem View Post
It is my understanding that the roofs of the Sunseekers are fiberglass with a textured, non-slip finish. I believe that is what you are seeing.
That's how mine is (textured fiberglass). Much nicer to walk on when necessary. I don't think the OP is questioning the material as much as the fact that it's not painted perhaps (?). The unit has full body paint.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsDad View Post
I don't think the OP is questioning the material as much as the fact that it's not painted perhaps (?). The unit has full body paint.
That's essentially it. I really kind of expected the top to look more like the rest of it...well, that, and the caulking around the roof furnishings looks like it was done by two-toed sloths on quaaludes. Kind of serves me right for not looking up there on the walk-through.

2015 Sunseeker 3010DS
Old 08-14-2015, 05:30 PM   #8
GM

No one paints the roof. White reflects sunlight, colors do not. Its designed to keep the coach cooler. I don't know of one single RV manufacturer that paints the roof. We paint the edges (of what you can see and that is it). Even school buses these days are white on the roof. Might be paint, but its still white. Do a google search for Newmar Roof. That is a Class A that runs from $200k to probably $800k. They paint the corners and leave the roof white.

As for the material. That is "Filon Flex Roof" from Crane composites. Its easy to clean and durable which is why they use it in bathroom walls.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:47 PM   #9

OK, well, you're in the industry and I am not, bclemens, so I don't know what "no-one" does or does not do. I know what the sales guy and the dude who did the walk-through told me; I never heard "Full body paint, except for the roof, which is Filon Flex Roof," and I'm not given to going Way Up High unless I have a compelling reason (which I did, today). As I said, my bad for not checking it out at time of purchase. Didn't mean to spin you up.

2015 Sunseeker 3010DS
Old 08-14-2015, 05:54 PM   #10

a quote from roof article
Quote:
However, there’s a good reason for going with the white, Smith adds. Even with a gray or tan roof, sitting on a dealer’s lot that unit may be as much as 10 degrees warmer than a unit next to it with a white roof.

“If it’s that much hotter, you can feel the difference,” he says.
There are many posts here that complain about AC not cooling off the interior as much as people want. A painted roof would make that situation worse.

IMO you got what you needed and not what you thought you wanted...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass