Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2015, 12:58 PM   #1

Fiberglass?

Just looked on top of my 3010DS for the first time (making sure Maxxair II vent covers would be unimpeded before I ordered them) and was more than a little astonished to find that my fiberglass roof is really Marlite, gooped up with heavy caulk around all the vents and other rooftop miscellany. When I say Marlite I mean white, bumpy, gas-station-bathroom Marlite. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, given my experience to-date with the unit, but I kind of thought full body paint meant...oh, IDK, FULL BODY PAINT. I guess the roof isn't part of the body? Am I naive to be unpleasantly surprised?

2015 Sunseeker 3010DS
2005 Honda Element (toad)
Now, Voyager, sail thou forth, to seek and find.
widogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:39 PM   #2

Probably the roof membrane which is either TPO or EPDM is what you see

read more here:

Where the Rubber Meets the Roof | RV PRO

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
Probably the roof membrane which is either TPO or EPDM is what you see

read more here:

Where the Rubber Meets the Roof | RV PRO
That's a good though, but this is definitely shiny, white Marlite. I tried to attach a picture of the only exemplar I could find online (hey, it's not something people take pictures of. Will try to get up on the RV roof to take a photo of the actual deal.

2015 Sunseeker 3010DS
Old 08-14-2015, 01:47 PM   #4

It is my understanding that the roofs of the Sunseekers are fiberglass with a textured, non-slip finish. I believe that is what you are seeing.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:57 PM   #5

OK, got a picture to upload. I get wanting to have it nonskid, and I appreciate that...but this looks like the inside of a 1982 Conoco station's bathroom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunseeker_Roof_08_14_15_3_.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	85664  

2015 Sunseeker 3010DS
Old 08-14-2015, 02:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacklem View Post
It is my understanding that the roofs of the Sunseekers are fiberglass with a textured, non-slip finish. I believe that is what you are seeing.
That's how mine is (textured fiberglass). Much nicer to walk on when necessary. I don't think the OP is questioning the material as much as the fact that it's not painted perhaps (?). The unit has full body paint.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsDad View Post
I don't think the OP is questioning the material as much as the fact that it's not painted perhaps (?). The unit has full body paint.
That's essentially it. I really kind of expected the top to look more like the rest of it...well, that, and the caulking around the roof furnishings looks like it was done by two-toed sloths on quaaludes. Kind of serves me right for not looking up there on the walk-through.

2015 Sunseeker 3010DS
Old 08-14-2015, 04:30 PM   #8
Commercial Member

No one paints the roof. White reflects sunlight, colors do not. Its designed to keep the coach cooler. I don't know of one single RV manufacturer that paints the roof. We paint the edges (of what you can see and that is it). Even school buses these days are white on the roof. Might be paint, but its still white. Do a google search for Newmar Roof. That is a Class A that runs from $200k to probably $800k. They paint the corners and leave the roof white.

As for the material. That is "Filon Flex Roof" from Crane composites. Its easy to clean and durable which is why they use it in bathroom walls.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:47 PM   #9

OK, well, you're in the industry and I am not, bclemens, so I don't know what "no-one" does or does not do. I know what the sales guy and the dude who did the walk-through told me; I never heard "Full body paint, except for the roof, which is Filon Flex Roof," and I'm not given to going Way Up High unless I have a compelling reason (which I did, today). As I said, my bad for not checking it out at time of purchase. Didn't mean to spin you up.

2015 Sunseeker 3010DS
Old 08-14-2015, 04:54 PM   #10

a quote from roof article
Quote:
However, there’s a good reason for going with the white, Smith adds. Even with a gray or tan roof, sitting on a dealer’s lot that unit may be as much as 10 degrees warmer than a unit next to it with a white roof.

“If it’s that much hotter, you can feel the difference,” he says.
There are many posts here that complain about AC not cooling off the interior as much as people want. A painted roof would make that situation worse.

IMO you got what you needed and not what you thought you wanted...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:54 PM   #11
Commercial Member

I apologize if you feel like I am "spun up", I am not at all. I was simply trying to provide the facts you were looking for.

There were other responses above that were "guesses" as to the roof material. I just wanted to clarify, not only what we use but why we use it and that it is pretty much industry standard.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
a quote from roof article

There are many posts here that complain about AC not cooling off the interior as much as people want. A painted roof would make that situation worse.

IMO you got what you needed and not what you thought you wanted...
I WANTED the salesman and the dude who did the walk-through to tell me the whole story. I seriously doubt if a painted, textured roof in the predominant beige color of the unit would be substantially warmer than white, and, since we camp in Wisconsin on mostly treed sites, it's not really that much of an issue. Haven't had a 90-degree day where we are in over 700 days. The caulking is another story and is fairly consistent with what I've run across in other parts of the unit as far as workmanship goes.

2015 Sunseeker 3010DS
Old 08-14-2015, 05:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I apologize if you feel like I am "spun up", I am not at all. I was simply trying to provide the facts you were looking for.

There were other responses above that were "guesses" as to the roof material. I just wanted to clarify, not only what we use but why we use it and that it is pretty much industry standard.
I'm glad I didn't upset you; thank you very much for providing the information.

2015 Sunseeker 3010DS
Old 08-14-2015, 06:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by widogmom View Post
I WANTED the salesman and the dude who did the walk-through to tell me the whole story. I seriously doubt if a painted, textured roof in the predominant beige color of the unit would be substantially warmer than white, and, since we camp in Wisconsin on mostly treed sites, it's not really that much of an issue. Haven't had a 90-degree day where we are in over 700 days. The caulking is another story and is fairly consistent with what I've run across in other parts of the unit as far as workmanship goes.
Sounds like your expectations are not lining up with reality. RV dealers, car dealers, lawyers... All have the same internal quest for commission. There are some good ones out there, but just as many bad ones too.

As far as your messy over-the-top caulking, better than a water leak.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:37 PM   #15
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfinder5 View Post
As far as your messy over-the-top caulking, better than a water leak.
RV roof caulking done right looks like crap. They did a good job. Really. If it was neat it would probably leak.

In a thread about heat reduction in RVs, one poster commented he felt his 5th wheel was noticeably cooler after he had cleaned his roof, taking it from a grayish back to full white again. Perhaps he was right.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:47 AM   #16

Fiberglass?

I know you are disappointed but the reality is that caulking whether it's done perfectly neat by a computer operated machine or the Jr guy at the factory with his trusty caulk gun,is going to need attention year after year
Again,whether you do it or pay an RV shop to do it the reapplication of self leveling Dicor over the old is not only not "pretty" but builds up year after year and sorry to say is gonna look down right messy
I do my own so it's as quality as can be
You want coverage and no leaks.

You are the only one going up there but if you are still uncomfortable ask an owner of a million dollar Class A
If you can climb up and see what they have going on up top and things aren't going to look much different
Hell they might be worse cause most people that have that kind of scratch,pay people to do this kind of work and chances are, It's gonna be a little sloppy
Mine is a '14 that sat on the lot for 8 months (I looked at it the day it came in Nov '13 and then bought it Jul'14)
So I've had it over a year and the caulk on mine is still in great shape with no leaks
You can bet Ill be up there with my gun before winter though. ;-)
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:58 AM   #17

Regarding the roof material,that no slip texture is a must.
I've camped under one of those trees that dropped purple berries and Im here to tell you when I got home that roof had full body paint!!Only problem? The coach ain't purple
It cleaned up Bright White with soap and water with the help of my handy long handle brush (hose attach to the end of pole)
After seeing that and other times when it's down right grimy and gray (almost black) going back to a nice cool bright white?
It's rather beautiful ;-)
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by widogmom View Post
"I WANTED the slaesman and the dude" "to tell me the whole story" ~~~not going to happen & they may not know the whole story.

Best to educate yourself as best as possible, relying on sales-people will get you in trouble many times.

Your non-painted bathroom looking roof is actually one of the selling points of why I purchasd a Sunseeker.

A high % of RV's actually have a rubber roof glued down, in my opinion not as durable. Have seen several rubber roofs coming up, catching wind, ballooning up, tearing, bubbles under rubber memebrane, etc...

Now, with that in mind, Sunseeker Roofs still need maintenance (keeping clean and maintaining all those seals). Inspecting for roof cracks --few reports of this (should be few).

Get to know your RIG, inside & out, use it a lot th first year, to work out bugs and utilize the warranty period.

This forum is good place to gain knowledge.

Good luck and get out there making lasting adventures!

Markiemark
Markiemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:16 PM   #19

I totally agree with Markiemark. the fiberglass roof of the Sunseeker is more durable than a rubber roof in my estimation. I've had both. Much easier to keep clean also. The only negative I see so far is that it's probably a tad more noisy during a rain.
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass