Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2014, 04:24 PM   #1

Field repairs (air bag line)

While finishing up the pre Xmas camping crawl back home with the grand boys I fire up the compressor and check pressures before we start the last 200 mile leg. Got zero on the RR firestone air bag, go to air it up and hear a hiss. The good news here is that the air leak is somewhere above the frame and not from the bag. So here it is Sunday and "TenThumbs" (my indian name) has to make it work.

The good new is after I pulled the air line out of the water bay and got the dang hidden zip ties loose (safety glasses were a blessing) the leak was about 24 inches fron the valve stem from a 1/8 diameter hole (somebody missed something rubbing during assembly).

Clipped the two ends square and took value end line to town. Here's what Sunday produced; found some clear tubing where the ID allowed the black air line OD to fit snugly. Ice maker line was also an option but the shortest length was 8 ft (only used 4 inches). The tough part was finding 1/4 hose clamps (think lawm mower fuel line) and the best I could find was 1/4 - 5/8, they worked but I will swap them out later for smaller ones. Slide the two pieces of line into the 4" clear tube (required lube to get in) and used three clamps (left, center, and right).

So I guess there are some new items to go into the field kit.
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:24 AM   #2

Hoglou sounds like a good field fix. when you get home I would suggest going to a truck repair shop or dealer and ask for push lock union for plastic air brake line and some 1/4 inch line to put in your field kit , simple to use just push the line into the union till it locks then you have a permanent fix with the correct parts.
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:09 AM   #3
Mod free 5er

You could of also got short lengths of different size tubing to put over the initial tubing to build up the dia to fit the hose clamp.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:15 PM   #4

Back at the ranch now and found the firestone (part No. 3079) 1/4 inch air line push connectors on the web. Got them for under $4 each with free shipping. PM me for the storefront if you want some.

Now thinking of a spring project to move both of the feed lines to the right rear bumper (thats also where I ran the hot and cold drain lines) so I dont have to clear the water bay of the grill and heater I keep there just to air the bags up. Thinking about using the holes in the bays where the air nipples are at for small white LED lights (feeding the wire from the outside through the holes) as I have no light in either of those bays.

Still would like to find some small screw clamps just because... No.4 (1/4 - 5/8) are smallest I could find. I would have bet there were smaller ones out there...
Old 12-15-2014, 06:26 PM   #5

I added air bags to my 3170 and ran the air lines to the rear bumper and also installed a 12 volt power port so I can run an air compressor . Makes it very easy to add or remove air from bags.
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:03 PM   #6

Some of the larger truck stops will also carry the connectors and tubing as well. If you are ever in a jamb it is worth trying
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:43 PM   #7

now you tell me..

Dang.. you are on the money, I never thought about a truck stop. I was thinking too much on the home side instead of the motor part of the word....
Old 12-16-2014, 06:50 PM   #8

Anyone know what brand air bags are in the sunseeker (2013)? The black 1/4 air line is from airlift company but I thought I have heard ride right which is a Firestone product.

thanks,
Old 12-16-2014, 08:35 PM   #9

Hoglou I believe they are Firestone , I don't think the colour of the hose makes a difference.
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:14 AM   #10

Final fix

Ordering the firestone 2012 repair kit and moving the values to the bumper this spring. Wondered about using a tee but I guess I'll fill them individually.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:39 AM   #11

A Tee would be a good idea I think. When I air them up I always go to the same pressure on both anyway, the only problem I see is a failure on one is a failure on the other.

Is this the repair kit Hoglou? I'd like to add that to my kit as well.
Mike968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:07 PM   #12

Yes. That is it.

Tags
repair, repairs