Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
Sunseeker 2500TS owner

First long trip in new Sunseeker 2500TS.

We just got back from 7 days camping in our new Sunseeker 2500TS. Trip was about 4 hours driving each way, some interstate and some two lane. The Ford 450 did well, pretty easy driving, plenty of power, not like driving a car but better than I thought it would be. We are new to motor homes, wife has never camped and I have done rough camping with scouts and hunting. Fit and finish in the 2500 was very good, no major problems. Few minor things, drawer latch not working, 1/3 led in control panel out, but all else was good. We bought a mattress topper from Costco for bed, helped a lot with the split bed.
It was hot and AC ran near steady but kept camper nice.
We need to figure out solution for ice. Frig was full, so kept drinks and spare food in coolers but we needed to buy ice everyday to keep up. We even went to local Walmarts looking for a portable ice maker but they don’t carry them in store. I guess we need better coolers or find an ice maker, any suggestions on what others do would be appreciated.
There were four of us, wife, daughter, grand daughter and me. We had plenty of room, swivel seats in cab helped for sitting space. Most future trips will be just wife and me so we feel the 2500TS was a good choice for us, right size, lots of storage, and easy driving.
Our next big decision is if we should buy a small car to tow along as a dinghy.
Emory in MD
ejkkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #2

Glad to hear your first trip went well!

Lucky for us the fridge and freezer holds everything we need so coolers are not needed. We just restock the beverages before we go to bed at night. I think if I had to use coolers and ice I would definitely buy an ice maker. The last thing I would want to do while camping is run into town every day.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:29 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Congrats on the first trip. Glad to hear it went well.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #4

Dometic Portable Freezer/Refrigerator

Dometic makes a lot of different sized portable freezer/refrigerators. I got tired of icing down a cooler daily. Over loading an RV refrigerator with room temperature drinks can be a problem. The interior needs room to circulate the air and using a battery operated fan helps. This year I decided to go ahead and purchase a dual voltage Dometic unit. It is now loaded with drinks and set at 33 degrees. I keep it inside a back compartment and plugged directly into the 20 amp outlet on the sites electrical post.

Products - Dometic

2013 Forester #3051SF
2009 Toyoda Tacoma (toad)
2010 Newmar Dutchstar (Sold)
2011 Fleetwood Bounder (Sold)
trwmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
Mega Member

Cooler

I have done two things. First, I bought an ice maker on Amazon for less than 100.00 and I use that for ice for drinks---it works very well. In fact, I keep 2 liter sodas in the pantry (not cooled) and they get cool with the ice in the cups provided by the ice maker.

Additionally, I bought a dorm-style fridge that I keep in the rig's basement and plug it directly in the 110/115 at the camp site. This helps in other ways, as folk get their beverages from here during the day saving the cool air loss in the coach fridge from having the doors opened constantly.
rgarner is offline   Reply With Quote