Old 05-03-2018, 07:09 AM   #1

First time de-winterizing the rig - thoughts

So yesterday was the first time I dewinterized my rig. I was a little anxious to get the process going as my past campers were all Jayco products.

Some thoughts:

A. I like that the fresh water tank has a seperate hose connection/run from the outside in. My Greyhawk had a bunch of valves that you had to turn in particular combinations in order to get the water to go from city supply to city fill. This was, well, easier. Straight forward.

B. I like that the tank drain is next to the water filter. I like that the water filter is not taking up space in a bathroom cabinet. I like that they anti-freeze siphon is next to the water filter and the water pump. I'm sure I WON'T like that there is no way to turn the pump on from that compartment - making antifreeze time a 2 man job.

C. I'm still on the fence with having the fresh water connection in the same compartment as my sewer connection. I know Class A's do it this way too, but on my Jayco the fresh water was always far away from the dirty business.

D. Low point drains - just a twist of a cap on one of the hoses hanging off the bottom rear. Simple, I like that.

E. Water heater bypass - I wish the panel wasn't screwed in. I can see these screws getting loose over time going into all that particle board.

F. I just realized the bathroom faucet is plastic. Nice job w/ the finish - they fooled both DW and I.

G. Looking inside the cabinet where this faux metal fixture resides, I was pleased w/ how orderly the pipes were run, strapped, etc. Even the electrical was very tidy under there. This was never the case w/ any Jayco product I owned. *Yes, I was looking in the cabinet to see how hard it would be to replace said fixture*

That's about it - our shakedown trip is this weekend so here's hoping everything works as it should !!

Old 05-03-2018, 07:23 AM   #2
Prime Member

You might want to consider sanitizing your plumbing. You can add 1/4 cup of bleach for every 15 gallons of water in your FW tank. Use your water pump to circulate this solution through out the camper and let it sit for 24 hours then flush with fresh water.

Personally, I don't like using bleach, it leaves a bleach taste in the water that I don't care for. It's a bit pricier than bleach but I like this stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40207-T...ater+sanitizer

There is no aftertaste once you flush it out. I can sanitize twice with 1 bottle.

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 310BHDS
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Husky weight distribution hitch with sway control
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:25 AM   #3

On our 2250 SS , to flip the HW valves, I remove a drawer- nice.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:29 AM   #4

Sorry, I should have mentioned I also santized. All my lines smell like bleach, and I have a full treated tank sitting on the driveway right now. I'll drain it when I get home, and put some fresh water (~10 gallons) in it for utility use when I'm underway throughout the summer.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:00 AM   #5

Good luck on first outing.
My thoughts are: Use everything to ensure it works correctly. If it is a dual fuel, try both.
Sanitize per FR recommendations such as: Do not pour bleach directly into your FW tank. Dilute it first. Then after you sanitize, flush the system well. Faucets and sinks (metal) will corrode if you leave sodium hypoclorite on/in them. Note: I do not open the water heater bypass until after I sanitze and flush.
If this is your first time dumping holding tanks, you may get construction debris out of them.
Enjoy
Old 05-03-2018, 08:03 AM   #6

My hot water tank was already put in 'use' mode. The dealer switched it back after I had antirfreeze in my lines. So - my hot water heater is full of bleach water now too.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:17 AM   #7
Prime Member

I always sanitize the water heater too.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:18 AM   #8

Oh well. You may have to flush it (and the rest of the system) with baking sida to get the smell out. 1/2 cup diluted in a gallon of water. BTW: Itís a cold water heater.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:22 AM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Oh well. You may have to flush it (and the rest of the system) with baking sida to get the smell out. 1/2 cup diluted in a gallon of water. BTW: Itís a cold water heater.
But once it's hot... is it a hot water maintainer?
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=32
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:22 AM   #10
Prime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Oh well. You may have to flush it (and the rest of the system) with baking sida to get the smell out. 1/2 cup diluted in a gallon of water. BTW: It’s a cold water heater.
One the water is already heated, it becomes a hot water retainer.

Tags
first time, winter