Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2017, 12:54 PM   #1

First two must haves for new coach - EMS & BMS?

Just bought my first RV, at the Hershey show. 2018 Sunseeker 2400R. Pick it up at the NY dealer in late Oct. Planning 4 months on the road this winter so I need to get it debugged and outfitted quickly.
As I understand it, the first two “must-haves” are an Electrical Monitoring System (EMS)/surge protector and a Battery Monitoring System (BMS).
EMS-wise, I’m leaning towards the Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C. If it’s hard wired, I’ll never forget it or lose it to sticky hands, and it’s always ON. I’d also like to get the remote Digital Switch & Display unit (EMS-RDS), but don’t know where to mount it (neatly).
The BMS of choice seems to be the Trimetric TM-2030-A/-RV. I really like the built-in look of the 2030-A version, but mounting/installation could be tough. Location is also an issue – it ought to be easily accessible and viewable.
I’m confident I could do the installs myself, but I plan to let the dealer do it, provides he gives me confidence and has some experience on these items in this model RV.
I hope to add rooftop solar at a later date, with bigger batteries than what the Sunseeker comes with.
I’d like your help or advice from those that have similar, actual installs; pictures would be really great.
TIA,
Old 09-27-2017, 01:02 PM   #2

Quote:
I’m confident I could do the installs myself, but I plan to let the dealer do it, provides he gives me confidence and has some experience on these items in this model RV.
Do it yourself and get it done right the first time. Dealers have little interest in doing this type of work and then testing the install before you come get it... you then decide it does not work right, take it back, then wait weeks to get it fixed... maybe.

When you do get your MH, either park overnight in their lot or go to a nearby CG and try everything. Have an agreement with them to get you back in expedited to FIX what you find wrong, as inevitably there will be something not right.

Good luck

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:04 PM   #3
Always Learning

I opted for the Victron BMV-702 and added the Bluetooth connector for it. I love having a glance of my battery state from my phone. I literally may not install the display for the BMV as I almost never look at it.

I don’t know if the Trimetric offers that.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:51 PM   #4
Wait till next year...

I'd go for Progressive Industries EMS as a must have but you may want to consider a Tire pressure monitor as your second must have. I have the TST 507. I also have the Trimetric and no I dont believe it has a remote bluetooth option
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:57 PM   #5

Congrats on your new rig!!!!!

As suggested above, go somewhere close and see what you find wrong so you can get it fixed.
On your PDI, MAKE THEM turn on every single system in the coach to show you it works. If something doesn't work, you don't drive it off the lot till they fix it. On a rig that size, your PDI should take a couple of hours at the least.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:04 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum from Chagrin Falls, Ohio. Congrats on your new rig.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 01:32 PM   #7
Sunseeker 2400MBW

First two must haves for new coach - EMS & BMS?

I would stay overnight. Maybe 2. Our air conditioner came on enough that we thought it ran. On using it it doesn't actually "work".

There were 7-8 things had to fixed, there was a BIG star shaped crack underneath the slide, the bezel around the radio was cracked, the gasket around the driver side door was pretty jacked up, fresh water door didn't close, black and gray valve handles switched, etc, that if we had seen and made them fix prior to paying, we would have gotten it back from the shop much sooner. And maybe got a better price. Lots cosmetic sure, but aggravating in a brand new rig.

My husband still fixed some things over and above these.

Also, I wish we brought a hose from home and tilted MH at several angles and rained like Hades on it. Might have found big leak at the time instead of on a trip. That's NOT cosmetic.

My husband is pretty mechanically inclined but not electrically. We took it to Car Toys for new Car Play radio, "always on see behind you camera", more USB ports up front, and to have tire-temp-pressure-monitoring display permanently installed. And it works so well. They had it for one day. At a RV dealer, who knows. It's a different business, I know, but their record is dismal so far.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:08 PM   #8
Just as confused as you

If you get the PI EMS-HW30C, it will have the remote digital switch & display unit included. Just be sure you have it connected before you plug in to the pedestal and turn on the power.

My control panel is right above the converter/breaker panel, the EMS-HW30C is mounted behind the converter, and I ran the cable up the wall and installed the switch/display next to the control panel. The control panel is in the hallway across from the door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0944.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	475.5 KB
ID:	152746   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0945.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	429.3 KB
ID:	152747  
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:27 PM   #9

for starters make sure you have enough batteries. Mine came with one! on a 32 foot Sunseeker so I had the dealer install a second one as we do a lot of boondocking. Pay close attention and record if you can the PDI. We had a great customer service rep but there was still a lot of things not covered. One in particular is playing a cd thru the radio that is transmitted to the TV and the surround sound system. They never touched that or the GPS system. They never told us about the air bags also so expect some issues.
Then we had the dealer install artic pacs only to find that they did not work when cold weather came! So beware.

wogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:06 AM   #10

Make sure the airbags are aired up before you leave the dealer !!!
60 to 70 psi seems to be good !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:07 AM   #11

I installed a Trimetric 2030 A, flush mounted on the bulkhead by the entry door. I did this for a lot of reasons but their companion solar charge controller is a major advantage. You can locate the charge controller anywhere you want and the Trimetric will act as a common display for both units. One distinct advantage is that the Trimetric will tell the charge controller what the actual voltage at the battery bank is and eliminate any feed losses from a long wiring path to the batteries. Together they are an unbeatable combination for all things 12 volt!

You don't need any electrical box, just cut an opening in the bulkhead and flush mount the Trimetric....

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:00 PM   #12

X2 on n-e-d. Remember rule 1 everything in the coach needs a specific home, rule 2 put it back when you are done. Rule 3 a blender sooths all wounds...
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote