Old 02-09-2016, 11:34 AM   #1

Fix for poor layout in sewer compartment?

If your dump valves don't leak a drop, this won't apply to you.

2014 Sunseeker 2300:
About half the time, our black valve weeps an ounce or so of brown water, which collects behind the cap. Open the cap, the stuff is on the floor of the compartment.

The through-floor access hole is not under the drip. The floor is not sloped to the hole. So the brown stuff runs here and there. On prior RVs I used a separate twist on valve to stop the seepage. It worked great. On this one, I'm not sure I have the room to work with it and still get the hose connected. Maybe.

I was thinking of making up some sort of hard fitting that would end with the cap facing straight down, above the access hole. I feel this is how it should have been done from the factory. To do it now would take some work.

Another option would be to make a short hose and leave it connected and capped. Maybe about 12 inches long. Then it would just drop through the hole before I take off the cap.

Has anyone done anything about this?

Old 02-09-2016, 12:01 PM   #2

Why not repair the Valve so it will NOT leak? Your fix still lets sewage Dump below the RV while hooking up the sewer hose that goes to the sewer! Youroo!!

Old 02-09-2016, 12:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Why not repair the Valve so it will NOT leak? Your fix still lets sewage Dump below the RV while hooking up the sewer hose that goes to the sewer! Youroo!!
X2. There's a gasket kit for the gate valve or replace the complete valve assembly. Inexpensive and easy to do.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:00 PM   #4

We used a valterra add on valve on our previous 5th wheel BECAUSE the dark valve had a pinched remote cable. So easy to install and worked wonderfully .
Old 02-09-2016, 05:28 PM   #5

Even with new seals, once out in the field, they sometimes weep. You'd almost have to clean it after every dumping.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:43 PM   #6

Clean very well and repair, that is the easiest way to take care of it
Old 02-09-2016, 05:55 PM   #7

We've used our Sunseeker that was built in August, 2010, for over 450 nights camping. Neither the black or grey valve has leaked. I have sometimes bumped the handle while removing something from the compartment and had stuff come out when I removed the cap.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:16 PM   #8

We often travel to California, where they go nuts over any liquids hitting the ground. Have not had any leak from our 2013, 3170ds, however we added a Valterra valve at the end of drain pipe just to be extra safe. This way you can attach your drain hose before you open either drain and not fear anything leaking out. You just twist the valve on to install, cheap and simple.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:41 PM   #9

Several folks have suggested the Valterra valve. This would be great except that the 2300 doesn't have room for one. Although I don't have any leaks, I would like to use a clear piece where the hose connects, but the way things are configured, you can't add anything and still have the slinky exit through the access hole. Not the best design and not easy to reconfigure. I agree that the OP's best bet is to install a new replacement valve.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:43 PM   #10

Today's dump occurred with no leaks. I'm telling you, you can have a new valve, but once you use it, if any little thing gets trapped, on the next cycle, you'll get a drip. I've had 4 RVs and this is the nature of the beast.

You can't clean the valve after every dump. At least not when you are traveling for weeks and weeks. The twist on Valterra valve solves the problem but as mentioned, it probably won't fit on the 2300. I'd rather have it drip on the ground. I can easily use the dump station hose to wash it back to the drain.