Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2014, 08:14 AM   #1
Sunseeker 2500TS owner

Flat tow for first time advice

I have searched the forums for flat towing advice and did not find much. Taking our 2500TS and Honda Fit today to get flat towing hardware installed. Any advice or hints would be appreciated. I have never flat towed anything so any advice would be helpful. Thank you
Emory in MD
ejkkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:25 AM   #2

I wouldn't stress too much about flat towing. You probably won't know your Fit is even back there. One big thing to remember is that you won't be able to back up without disconnecting your toad, so make sure you can pull forward when stopping(gas etc.). Search Motorhome magazine and their dinghy towing guide for some helpful info.
Owned 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS previously
raoulwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:24 PM   #3

Iys the same as pulling a trailer, other than you can't back up
tmhyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:28 PM   #4

Hopefully a dumb question but have you verified your Fit is towable 4 down? I believe newer models (after 2011) are not. The 2014 Motorhome Dingy Towing guide lists only Honda CRVs as towable. However your owners manual should say if it's okay unless the factory changed their mind like happened with Saturns a few years back.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:29 PM   #5
Sunseeker 2500TS owner

My 2013 Fit is ok to flat tow, its in the owners manual, both auto and manual transmission. Not sure about the 2014 Fit but believe its same as the 2013. The 2015 Fit is a re-design so don't know about it.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:11 PM   #6

Assumming it is good to tow, there is not much to it. I tow a Jeep Liberty behind a 3070DS and i do not feel it at all. Be methodical in hook-ups and disconnects. Follow a standard procedure and do not vary. Several trips will build confidence
Scooter81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:55 PM   #7

Just be extra careful around fuel islands, other than that, enjoy!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:14 PM   #8

Just went through this myself. Towed our Nissan Versa for the first time this weekend behind our new 3170ds. I installed everything on the tow vehicle myself and thoroughly read all manuals as I went. Make sure to check and re-check all connections and safety cables. You probably don't need a supplemental brake system with the weight of your Fit (check laws in your state and states you will travel through) , but it is much safer and will give you peace of mind knowing you will have help stopping when you need to. Plan ahead when you are filling up as you will need to maneuver without backing up. Going down the road you really will not notice the car behind you until a big rig blows by at 80 mph, then just make sure not to over correct when you start feeling the sway.
[emoji1]
rsscully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:45 PM   #9
Sunseeker 2500TS owner

As a follow-up, went on 4 day trip towing the Fit, all went well. I had towing gear installed by Camping World, they did great job. For the most part did not notice Fit back there, needed a little more RPMs on big hills on interstate but kept up with traffic just fine. We did back roads and interstates, back roads were easy, I did notice it a little on the interstates at 65 mph but not much more than without the Fit. I did not get brakes and RV had no problem on hills with braking. First time disconnecting and then connecting back up was a little challenge but not too difficult. Thanks to all for help and advice.
Emory in MD
Old 08-14-2014, 07:15 PM   #10

Here is a trick... Have your DW stand beside the coach and toad and slowly pull forward and turn. Stop when she measures about 18" between the two bumpers. Take a dry erase marker (not permenant) and mark your rear biew camera screen. Repeat for the other side. This wil help you know when you are turned too tight (aka fuel stops) as you get comfortable. I marked mine with a sticker. Check pilot and flying J on line to see where th RV gas lanes are installed.
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time