Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2015, 07:52 AM   #1

Flooring Issue

Hello,
Have a 2014 2690s a year and 8 months ownership.

Earlier this year, started to have a bump in the floor, which is now getting worse.

One of the screws or bolts is backing out and pushing up on the Beauflor flooring, actually pulling up the flooring, now getting super taught, and will eventually tear up our flooring.

Running my hand along the area, I believe there is a seam of the sub-floor, actually may feel other screw heads in that line(not coming up yet).

Attached is a diagram of the location of the bolt coming up arrow & line where I think there is a joint.

Local repair RV shop, suggested cutting the floor in that area to see what is going on and then gluing the floor down there. They said pulling up the flooring and then re-using it, is not an option.

From the underside, the subfloor cannot be seen at all.

Bummed this may be a structure issue. Slide flexing the floor (although we are very consciences of only using slide when level)

I dropped a message to FR warranty, hoping to get some guidance, no information on that route.

Has anyone experience this? Or any experience on floor work through the Beauflor flooring.
Any info on the subfloors in the Sunseeker’s?

Name:   Sunseeker 2690s Flooring issue.jpg
Views: 1560
Size:  30.7 KB

Thanks,
Mark
Markiemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:02 PM   #2
Class C Representative

Our floor is one piece so there wouldn't be any seams along there. Have you physically pushed down on the area your speaking of? Pictures of the issue would help as well.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Cavitt View Post
Our floor is one piece so there wouldn't be any seams along there. Have you physically pushed down on the area your speaking of? Pictures of the issue would help as well.
Yes, I have physically pushed on it, stepped on it and it does not move.

Now that it has gotten worse, we keep our little dogs bed over it, so humans do not step on it when slide is out. Keeping weight off that area.

Originally a small bulge, now pushing up where it is pulling up the flooring, and getting tighter.

It is about 5-6 inches out from slide WHEN SLIDE is out, when slide is in, it is under the slide, not visible. When running the slide in and out, it is not rubbing or touching slide.

Picture wise, this weekend I will have it out will get a couple pictures, where I store it, cannot open slide.

Not sure a picture will show much, other than the flooring being pushed up, and now that it is pretty tight, sure feels like a bolt head.

Also running you hand parallel to the slide when out, almost feels like there is a other bolts or screw heads, in that line?

Any follow-up with manufacturing, techs, etc... on what is under there, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Josh for checking into this.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 10-28-2015, 08:18 AM   #4
Class C Representative

It is probably one of the carriage bolts that holds the floor to the cross member. Fortunately there are about 12 others width wise of the coach so don't worry about your floor going anywhere. Without being able to see it sounds like the nut came loose on the bottom side and is allowing the bolt to move up. You should be able to see the nut from the bottom side and tighten it down.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Old 10-28-2015, 08:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markiemark View Post
Hello,

Local repair RV shop, suggested cutting the floor in that area to see what is going on and then gluing the floor down there. They said pulling up the flooring and then re-using it, is not an option.
I have seen flooring guys who can cut a section out of a vinyl floor, make a repair to the subfloor below, and replace the piece they cut out and you need a magnifying glass to see it. If you didn't know it was there you would be hard pressed to find it. Its an art and the more detail in the pattern the easier it is to do. The trick would be to find the right guy.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:56 AM   #6

Couple pics of area, lighting of the tile, hard to see it in pics.

Looking underneath for carriage bolts - first main portion under rig around frame rails, I see white backside, support braces, but no visible carriage bolts. Even around the frame rails, see support rail, no bolts.

Would these carriage bolts be up above the storage bin? Last two pic, I do see some bolts up above storage bin, and measurement wise the location of something coming up would be toward the back of this storage bin.

Thanks,
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	93165   Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor Meas.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	93166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor Underneath II.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	93167   Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor underneath.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	93168   Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor Storage.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	93169  

Name:	Floor St.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	93170  
Old 10-29-2015, 08:07 AM   #7
Class C Representative

It will be somewhere along the cross members. The threaded end will be pointing towards the ground with the nut on the bottom. Depending on where that bolt is it may be covered up by a storage compartment or generator.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:58 PM   #8

Had the same thing happen. Bolt uplifted flooring. Husband put a very small slit screwed it back down and haven't had a problem since. Happened this spring and still tight and floor is fine.
schnauzer mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnauzer mom View Post
Had the same thing happen. Bolt uplifted flooring. Husband put a very small slit screwed it back down and haven't had a problem since. Happened this spring and still tight and floor is fine.
What did you use for gluing down the flooring?

Thanks,

Markiemark
Old 11-01-2015, 06:26 PM   #10

He only made the slit large enough to turn screw. He pressed flooring back down and it hasn't come back up. We didn't need to use any glue. Also helps we have a rug runner we put down when the slide is out which covers the slit. We check it periodically and still no further issue.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:13 AM   #11

As they say at the doctor's office, "we'll have to lance it." You will be happier when it's fixed. Good luck!
Old 11-02-2015, 09:15 AM   #12
Class C Representative

Quote:
What did you use for gluing down the flooring?

Thanks,

Markiemark

The problem is the bolt coming up not the flooring coming unglued. We use beaufloor, a floating floor, so it's not glued down in every spot of the coach. It allows it to be flexible in the changing climate temperatures.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Cavitt View Post
The problem is the bolt coming up not the flooring coming unglued. We use beaufloor, a floating floor, so it's not glued down in every spot of the coach. It allows it to be flexible in the changing climate temperatures.
Josh,
I definitely realize that.
I’m assuming that cutting the floor in a high traffic area, may require some adhesive?

I really would like “Not cut the flooring”.
Still wondering how a lag bolt will go up, if a bolt came off bottom side, where it tightens pulling down.
To get this area, requires removing the storage compartment.

Had two owner’s, come back with having to cut floor (I assume tighten from above and replace part of the flooring).
I had the same issue in almost the same place. It was just out of warranty. The dealer called forest river and covered it under warranty. They had to tighten down the bolt and replace the flooring in that section. Hope it works out for you.”

Had the same thing happen. Bolt uplifted flooring. Husband put a very small slit screwed it back down and haven't had a problem since. Happened this spring and still tight and floor is fine. He only made the slit large enough to turn screw. He pressed flooring back down and it hasn't come back up. We didn't need to use any glue. Also helps we have a rug runner we put down when the slide is out which covers the slit. We check it periodically and still no further issue.”

Are there screws along with the LAG bolts?

Still trying to find the best solution and appreciate the information.

Mark
Old 11-02-2015, 09:44 AM   #14

No it was the lag bolt he screwed down. Still tight.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:25 AM   #15

Lag bolt doesn't have a nut on bottom
Old 11-02-2015, 03:37 PM   #16

We never saw a nut just screwed it down tight to floor.
Old 12-13-2015, 03:56 PM   #17

Ended up having flooring pulled up, instead of cutting, since it is in a main walking area, decided on keeping floor in tact.

Here is the screw........not a lag bolt.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sunseeker Floor.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	96127   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunseeker Floor II.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	96128   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunseeker Floor III.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	96129  
Old 12-13-2015, 04:00 PM   #18

Wow, that base was not ready for the floor to be installed! I hope that's not your blood there.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 03-29-2016, 01:08 PM   #19

Flooring Issue

Well my going the route of having a RV service center, to pull the slide and pull up the flooring up, to get to the above pictured screw back down, was short LIVED, the screw is backing out again.......................................... 3 Trips - after getting it fixed, the screw is backing out again.

Fortunately - The service Center is reputable and they are willing to give it a go again for us (although we want to find a proper fix). Scheduled for a return service here in next couple weeks. **Was tricky to pull up flooring without tearing it, first time, to access it, not sure how second time will go**

Joshua - is there any factory support on this issue? on understanding or getting to the true root cause of this??

Why would a screw in the floor keep backing out (I assume flexing of the flooring is causing this).

Is there a contact where my local service center can check with Forest River on fixing properly?

Appreciate any insight or support,

Mark

Quote:
Ended up having flooring pulled up, instead of cutting, since it is in a main walking area, decided on keeping floor in tact.

Here is the screw........not a lag bolt.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:11 AM   #20

FR woud know for sure but the pic looks like as self tap metal screw and neither a lag or carriage bolt. If you can get the part # and manufacture they may have a remedy for incorrect installation. My bet is that if it is a self tap it was not place in perpendicular to the surface, backed out and reinstalled, or over torqued. Each condition can negate or degrade the fastener. If you pull the fastener your good old Machinery's Handbook will ID it for you....

For my liking if there is nut needed (carriage) use red permenant locktite, if not JBweld and reinstall.... visit a good flooring installer, most can make the floor fix invisible...

A good outcome is not far away.....
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flooring