Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2013, 08:52 PM   #1

Ford vs Chevy for Sunseeker MH

What is the difference between the ford chassis vs the chevy. I am interested in driver and passenger comfort plus v10 vs v8. Most interested in leg room.
Thanks for your feed back
rekwiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:42 PM   #2

According to Forest River brochure the Chevy V-8 6.0L is 324HP with 373 torque and the Ford V-10 6.8L is 305HP with 420 torque.
I have the Ford 450 and I have been very impressed with torque (and pickup). I did have a Chevy 2500 with the 6.0 that I towed a 12,000lbs trailer with and I find the V-10 is a better workhorse than the Chevy 6.0.
I find the creature comforts of the cab are better in the Ford (van chassis).
I am just over 6' and I am very comfortable in the Ford. I checked out the Chevy 350 chassis on a similar floor plan and I felt a little less legroom. It may be the same space wise between the two I just felt less squished in the Ford.

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:47 PM   #3

before you make a decision, put your but in each of them. Both are a good vehicle, but everyone has different likings on the interior
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:35 PM   #4

I would agree the Ford in my opinion has a much roomier interior and better design than the Chevy. I sell all 3 of the American made trucks. 4 out of every 5 trucks our dealership sells is Ford. Having sold several V10's for TT towing purposes I have received many favorable responses. Just my thoughts. As the previous thread mentioned go try both for yourself. Best of luck!
fun4kidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:08 AM   #5

I've always been a GM guy. Had numerous blazers and suurbans over the years. Two years ago I went looking for a solid 3/4T tow vehicle. Really wanted a Chevy, but ended up in a 05 F250 cc V10. Compared to my work truck, a 04 2500cc 6.0l v8, it is a beast. Much better towing comfort and, at least seemingly to me, more available power when needed. My Ford doesn't downshift nearly as often as the Chevy. Now, the newer trucks with 6 speeds may be different. Also, the back seat has lots more room.
That said, if I decided to look at used diesel trucks, I'd be looking for a duramax!

Sent by me
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:53 AM   #6

We looked at both the Ford and Chevy 2300 when purchasing. We chose the Chevy chassis. The interior space of the Chevy was much better. You can get up from the seats and get to the back much easier. The passenger has much more room to put both feet on the floor.

As for power train, this is a 4500 with 6.0 v-8 and 6 speed transmission. Ignore comments that aren't talking about this combination. I have a Chevy Avalanche with 5.3 and 4 speed tranny. No comparison. I have driven 12,000 miles and never felt like it didn't have enough power or pickup. The towing capacity of the Ford is a little better on paper. I don't (yet) tow anything. This may be a concern to you, especially if you are looking at something much bigger than a 2300. The gas mileage is slightly better on the Chevy (based on forum comments). I get 10.5 at 59 mph running about 1700-1800 rpm on flat interstate.

From these forums I read that many have had some initial handling problems with the Ford (corrected with an alignment). I have done nothing to the Chevy except change the oil. It handles so well, I can't tell the difference between it and my Avalanche except in the most extreme cross winds. I have often driven 550+ miles in a day.

I'm not knocking the Ford. Other than taking each for a short test drive, I have no way to compare. Just telling you I am completely happy with my 2300 on the Chevy 4500 chassis.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvBill3 View Post
Ignore comments that aren't talking about this combination.

I'm sorry if anyone took offense at my comment. None was intended. What I meant (and obviously didn't say well) was that comparing 5.3l Chevys,etc., did not answer the OPs question. The Chevy chassis comes with a 6.0l and 6 speed transmission. Comparing it to other power trains, then comparing to Fords did not answer the OP. I did NOT intend to imply that other posts should be ignored-just that information about the power trains (both Ford and Chevy) that FR builds on were relevant to the original question. I appreciate all the comments on these forums. Again, I'm sorry if I offended.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:07 PM   #8

Ok, I appreciate all of the inputs and I like both ford and chevy my reason for the question is to better understand creature comforts in the cab. The wife is disabled and I am just trying to get feed back on front leg room and ease of getting into the coach without getting out and going to the coach entrance. We will be going to the dealers in the next few days to crawl around the models but need to see a break in the Wisconsin weather.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:56 PM   #9

Some of the replies are about pickups. Since this is the Sunseeker forum I'm assuming you are asking about Sunseekers. I don't find a big difference in the leg room for the driver. The passenger's leg room is much better on the Chevy.
Snowman9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:58 PM   #10

Your are correct. Interested in MH so just looking for real life MH info on the chassis. Hopefully will be able to get the dealers to pul the units out of the snow for us to check.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:25 AM   #11

original thread post kind of misleading. I know it said "chassis", but lots of people might not of known what you were asking about.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:40 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Having driven both and sold both for 12 years....ignore everything on paper. The Chevy says it has more Horsepower than the Ford but they ran the engine RPM's way up to get that. I don't mean to over simplify it, but of course I will

Either one works just fine. In my opinion the difference is too slight to feel strongly either way.

To explain...

The Chevy is 6" longer than the Ford and is a V8 versus Ford V10. So there is less dog house coming into the cab area, which makes it appear that there is more leg room in the Chevy. People complain about the passenger leg room in the Ford because the dog house is offset to that side so it looks tight. But frankly I'm 5'11" and have sat in the passenger side for long stretches. I've never had an issue. My wife is about 5'3" and her feet don't even make it far enough for the dog house to be an issue. The Chevy "center console" does not protrude into the cab area as far as the Ford...but the Ford is removable.

There are only two times that I would recommend one over the other.

Towing: If you do a lot of towing and intent to tow more than 5,000lbs. Go Ford.

2250: I would typically go Chevy. On this floor plan we use the big Chevy (14,200 lbs) and the E350 Ford (12,500 lbs). We still use the V10 but you don't get the 7,500 lbs hitch.

I think the Chevy rides a bit better straight from the factory (softer) but the Ford rides better when loaded (probably because of the higher torque).

So there you have it. Clear as mud. Pick either and you're absolutely right.

(The mercedes Sprinter actually has the best cabin comfort...but you're limited to 24')

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:52 AM   #13

Thanks Bclemens, you gave me the info that I needed. Like I said in my previous post, my DW is disabled and if I can get her from the passenger seat to the coach without entering from the coach door it make life a little easier. Another question for you. Would FR add assists bars inside the coach with a special order out? I know there are assists bars upon entry could they be added for the exit side of the coach door way, and also in the potty on the 3010ds or 2860?

Thanks
Old 01-02-2014, 10:59 AM   #14

Allegiance to one brand over the other does not always come down to specifications. Each brand tends to have its supporters and loyalists. You sort of have to make the decision for yourself what works for you.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:02 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekwiat View Post
Thanks Bclemens, you gave me the info that I needed. Like I said in my previous post, my DW is disabled and if I can get her from the passenger seat to the coach without entering from the coach door it make life a little easier. Another question for you. Would FR add assists bars inside the coach with a special order out? I know there are assists bars upon entry could they be added for the exit side of the coach door way, and also in the potty on the 3010ds or 2860?

Thanks
We don't really offer any custom options like that at this time. We don't stock the parts needed for things like that.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:10 AM   #16
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
original thread post kind of misleading. I know it said "chassis", but lots of people might not of known what you were asking about.
I changed the title of the thread - hopefully it clarifies things.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekwiat View Post

Thanks
I think Bclemens mentioned this in passing... You can remove the big "console" thing from the doghouse on the Ford. That will make it easier to get around inside. There are smaller consoles out there as replacements. Factory Ford ones, I think.
Snowman9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:18 PM   #18

Not sure what floor plan you are considering but with a Ford the 2860 dinette restricts the rear ward movement of the passenger seat. There is a cutout in the dinette seat back which helps allow the seat to recline a little. My wife is 5'6" and it was deal breaker for her. Don't know if the Chevy is better in this area. If you are looking at a floor plan with the entry door there then it would be a non issue.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman9000 View Post
I think Bclemens mentioned this in passing... You can remove the big "console" thing from the doghouse on the Ford. That will make it easier to get around inside. There are smaller consoles out there as replacements. Factory Ford ones, I think.
I replaced the original console with another Ford one that is smaller. It helps but the area really opens up if you just remove it but then you have no cup holders.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:27 PM   #20

On our trips nobody rides shotgun. I get the entire cab to myself. At first I was shocked no one wanted shotgun in there new coach but it's pretty cool to have everyone lounging in the coach.
The Ford console does come apart but I like the full console.
On the Chevy, the part I found squished was the room around the steering wheel. If the driver seat adjusted up/down it would be better (the Ford doesn't have this option either). I like the Ford dash a tad better than the Chevy.

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote