Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2019, 09:00 PM   #1
Senior Gold Member

Forest River motorhome air bags

I have never owned a motorhome before and one with air bags in particular. Is there advice, instructions and/or videos on the proper use of air bags on class c units. Do’s and don’t, care and maintenance?
Old 04-06-2019, 09:46 PM   #2

Don't run with them under 5 lbs and don't exceed 100 lbs.
Old 04-07-2019, 04:46 PM   #3

My Firestone Ride-Rite manual has in bold letters “....MAINTAIN A MINIMUM OF 20psi IN THE AIR HELPER SPRINGS AT ALL TIMES”
Except when raising the vehicle by the frame, then deflate both completely.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:26 PM   #4

I installed the same bags on my pickup and the directions said not to go under 5 lbs.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:06 PM   #5

I have the airbags on my Sunseeker and Set at 100 lbs to raise the rear so it won't scrap going out of the driveway. For traveling will set lower but one is leaking so back to the dealer to have checked.
SQROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubelle View Post
My Firestone Ride-Rite manual has in bold letters “....MAINTAIN A MINIMUM OF 20psi IN THE AIR HELPER SPRINGS AT ALL TIMES”
Except when raising the vehicle by the frame, then deflate both completely.
On a pickup truck, the minimum air pressure is 5 lbs. Twenty lbs minimum would give a more firm ride if the truck is empty. The reason for minimum air pressure is to prevent damage to the air bags. But with a MH, you always have the weight.

With our Sunseeker 2500TS (27 ft overall), the dealer recommended 80 lbs. The MH length was not mentioned by the OP, so it would be suggested to stay at a minimum of 80 lbs not to exceed 100 lbs. The air valves are in each storage bay directly behind the rear tires and high on the wall. Provided the air bags are kept inflated and the area of the bags/airlines/fill valve is not damaged, there should be no need for maintenance. Rarely will a bag lose pressure, but it is wise to keep tabs on them. We have had Firestone Ride-Rites on 3 pickups and the Sunseeker. Never have we had a problem.

Air bags help take the weight off the rear springs and help level the unit front-to-back. Some individuals have put differing air pressures on each side to level the MH side-to-side, but we tried to balance weight rather than have unequal air pressure.

One other note, it takes very little air to bring a bag up to pressure. It is a balancing act of quick spurts of air, check with a pressure gauge, add/ deflate until the desired pressure is in the bags. Once you get the knack of it, it is pretty easy.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air bags, forest river, motorhome, saunseeker, sunseeker