Old 07-09-2015, 04:27 PM   #1

Forest River no longer using Chevy Chassis

Just wondering if anyone has any information on this? I went to order a 2016 Sunseeker 2300 on a Chevy Chassis and was told by a rep at Forest River that the Chevy Chassis were no longer available. If anyone has any insight on this it would be greatly appreciated. The Ford option is out of the question for us as the passenger side leg room was cramped and uncomfortable.

Old 07-09-2015, 04:36 PM   #2

Maybe a rep will chime in. I was at the dealer a week ago and they told me GM is focusing efforts on the new Colorado line. Not sure how that affects the 4500 chassis production or even if it's true.

We have a 2014, 2300 with the Chevy chassis and love it. I sat in the Ford and felt (at least for me) the Chevy was more comfortable. Plus we get 10.5 - 11.5 mpg with the V8.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:02 PM   #3

Thanks DocsDad. That's exactly what I was told. Glad to hear you love your 2014. We will now be looking in that direction if it is confirmed there will not be any Chevy Chassis available on the 2016s.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:10 PM   #4
GM

We really don't know.

That same plant supposedly builds the Colorado. So our orders were cut (by them, not us) dramatically. Chevy "says" they will still build them...but we're out and are not even receiving the few that they actually let us order. We had no choice but to pull them off the price sheets until the time we see them show up again.

There might be some out there in Cali, but the only one I know of for sure is sitting in Liberty Lake, WA
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:59 PM   #5

Thanks for the information bclemens. This is bad news for us as we had our hearts set on the Chevy. If only there was a way to tell when they would be available again this year. I would hate to move on and purchase a different rig if the Chevy chassis is going to come back sometime this year.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:27 PM   #6

Not sure if this is the reason they are stopping production, I just read in the August issue of Motorhome magazine that Chevy is coming out with the Workhorse chassis again.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:17 PM   #7
GM

Workhorse is the Class A and its not Chevy. It was Chevy, then that got bought, it was with navistar for a while and then they shut it down, now it is coming back again. But under an LLC
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
Old 07-10-2015, 03:22 PM   #8
GM

And yes...we would like to know when we might see more chassis as well. You'd think we would get a little more info ourselves.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:29 PM   #9

I don't care who is making the workhorse chassis, I just want to see it made and couple it with a Vortec engine and Allison tranny.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamin View Post
Just wondering if anyone has any information on this? I went to order a 2016 Sunseeker 2300 on a Chevy Chassis and was told by a rep at Forest River that the Chevy Chassis were no longer available. If anyone has any insight on this it would be greatly appreciated. The Ford option is out of the question for us as the passenger side leg room was cramped and uncomfortable.

I have a 2300 with the Ford chassis. I found both seats too low. I'm 5'10" and Wife 5'4". I took 2" x2" x 16" of 1/8 wall steel tubing and used 10mm bolts to fasten it down. At the same time I offset the holes for the passenger seat to move it back about an inch. Great difference. Better visibility.Since we had been using a thick cushion i accept there could be some uncertainty re airbags but it would be the same if I were 2" taller.

Tags
forest river