Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2018, 05:28 PM   #41
PhD, Common Sense

The idea of warranties and insurance is that you average paying more for the coverage than the coverage pays out. This is how the provider makes money for his service.

That difference is what you pay for peace of mind knowing that you are protected from a catastrophic loss.

This sounds like it may be a good fit for me. Where can I get more information. Thanks.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:04 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
Now, doesn’t the A/C have its own warranty? It should, so in what way does that relate to warranty forever? For the discussion to have meaning, only those things that warranty forever covered themselves should be in view.

And warranty forever doesn’t cover basic maintenance and inspections. If one is getting free inspections and such, that is dealer shop purview not WF.
The AC warranty expires after a year. The Forever Warranty doesn’t. It is not the same as those expensive extended warranties.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:48 PM   #43

As a business owner myself, the customer who gets something like warranty forever is not getting anything free. It may not be an add on, but the cost is buried in the price. There is nothing thrown in for free. It just sounds like it. Truth be told, no business pays any taxes either. The customer pays for everything thru the price they pay for the product or service.

At a minimum, offering “free” warranty forever is a loss leader in the hopes of raking it in thru the service dept later.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:14 PM   #44

"Forever Warranty" kvetch... no claim, but annual inspection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
Indeed. Warranty Forever is a cash cow for the dealer.

Indeed it is. After several inspections, nothing but roof leaks for an entire summer. So much for professional sealing. I suppose if a major component needs to be replaced it may be worth it, but in 6-7 years you paid for it anyhow. Out of 100 units sold, how many require a major component replacement? I have kept it in force so far but with much question marks.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:57 AM   #45

Hi Delco Bobby,

The Forest River "Berkshire" was a brain fart... I conflated it with the Sunseeker. Last year this time (at the Oaks Pa RV show) wife and I nearly bought one... The in early April, just before we were ready to sign, I took it out for a test drive at Dylan's RV (nice people)... nope! Drives and feels like a bus. So we scaled back to the "nimble" Sunseeker (that my wife also test drove and loved). Good move for our style of RV'ing, more drive time sightseeing than park and live in a "mobile home" that's not as nice as our home without wheels...

Hi All,

Insurance companies are out to make money, and with large numbers, their risk is zero. To me the risk of catastrophic "covered" failures of the appliances is near zero. A/C or furnace or fridge goes up... I'll replace it. It seems like the really big cost items (the RV "box" isn't covered from costly things like delamination or an out of warranty diesel turbo seizes up) are not covered by the "forever" thing anyway. I know my annual cost of ~$350 (dealer charge plus getting there/back, and taxes) are real actual losses to me every year. All "required" maintenance cost is over and above that. I'll get my piece of mind spending that money elsewhere, and I need to be into the gadgetry on the RV to get my own piece of mind by knowing that I can understand and maintain/triage/repair the RV's systems while on the road or in my driveway. The Mercedes Benz dealership will get the "automotive" side of maintenance business as that warranty and common sense require. That cost, I know, will cost big bucks but that is not extended warranty/insurance to me.

So I've made my decision not to opt into the "Forever Warranty". The odds in an actuarial sense, are on my side! (Cost of possible repairs x odds of needing them >> annual costs x years owned) The Forever Warranty people and dealers would profit from offering this thing or else they would not do so, just like car dealerships, utility company appliance and HVAC plans, et al that offer similar coverages). This is a personal choice, and while I think most of us that can afford an RV can probably absorb the occasional busted microwave or water heater, this is a thing for all of us to weigh individually.

By the way, I like the people at Stoltzfus RV and had a pretty good buying experience there. I would certainly recommend them or Mark over at Dylan's RV in Sewell, NJ.

Thanks to all participants on this thread for your thoughts and opinions!
BluStreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:01 AM   #46

I typed (Cost of possible repairs x odds of needing them >> annual costs x years owned).... the much greater than/less than sign is reversed! Should be "<<"... or else that piece of crap RV goes up on the auction block!

Smiles!
BluStreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:37 AM   #47
PhD, Common Sense

Companies, offering a product, out to make money!

Horrors!
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:19 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluStreek View Post
My MBS 2400WS Sunseeker is less than a year old, used on about three outings of about two weeks total, and has about 3000 miles on it. I called my dealer today (Stoltzfus RV in West Chester PA, good people IMHO) about a cost estimate for an annual inspection as required by the warranty. It's $125 for the chassis and $125 for the "house" !!! ....YIKES!!!, NO thank you. I'll bank the $250 for a rainy day, save the 120 mile, 2 hour round trip, save ~8 to 10 gallons of diesel, plus about $40 in tolls (I'm in central NJ), and self insure. I'm inclined to repair most things myself, so once the Forest River/Berkshire warranties lapse, I'll just deal with it. Besides, I have decent roadside coverage from Progressive Insurance for most on road issues. May look into other extended coverages if this forum has suggestions.

I thought it ("Forever") sounded to be too good to be true. It sure seems like it is not so good at all.
I too purchased my Forest River Lexington (Ford E450) at Stolfus in WC and agree they are nice people. Just had my annual PA state inspection. No issues, oil change, unit and generator , they insisted that I also get new wipers and air filter. (They did rock me on these service items) Total bill $821.00. (breath-taking) Its like when I go to the Mercedes Dealership up the road, will be looking for a new place to get my unit inspected.
windowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:19 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowman View Post
I too purchased my Forest River Lexington (Ford E450) at Stolfus in WC and agree they are nice people. Just had my annual PA state inspection. No issues, oil change, unit and generator , they insisted that I also get new wipers and air filter. (They did rock me on these service items) Total bill $821.00. (breath-taking) Its like when I go to the Mercedes Dealership up the road, will be looking for a new place to get my unit inspected.
Take your Lexington to Garnet Ford down the road a mile or two. They can do your state inspections and service your generator.

They have done my Sunseeker on a Chevy chassis and my Dynamax on a Dodge chassis.

Is that really all you had done at Stoltzfus? No other work on anything else?

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty