Old 02-27-2018, 12:11 PM   #1

"Forever Warranty" kvetch... no claim, but annual inspection!

My MBS 2400WS Sunseeker is less than a year old, used on about three outings of about two weeks total, and has about 3000 miles on it. I called my dealer today (Stoltzfus RV in West Chester PA, good people IMHO) about a cost estimate for an annual inspection as required by the warranty. It's $125 for the chassis and $125 for the "house" !!! ....YIKES!!!, NO thank you. I'll bank the $250 for a rainy day, save the 120 mile, 2 hour round trip, save ~8 to 10 gallons of diesel, plus about $40 in tolls (I'm in central NJ), and self insure. I'm inclined to repair most things myself, so once the Forest River/Berkshire warranties lapse, I'll just deal with it. Besides, I have decent roadside coverage from Progressive Insurance for most on road issues. May look into other extended coverages if this forum has suggestions.

I thought it ("Forever") sounded to be too good to be true. It sure seems like it is not so good at all.

BluStreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:33 PM   #2

Did you ask what the inspection included on your RV?
We have it on our travel trailer and the annual cost is $200 for the inspection but there is a list of things that are done to the trailer (we just had ours done)
Reseal roof
Lubricate axels
Clean furnace
Flush holding tanks

I don’t think it’s a bad price for what they do and to keep everything covered under warranty.

2019 Ford F-250 Super Cab 6.2L Lariat
2016 ML23FB
MT Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:42 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

A lot of times the 'fine print' is what gets most in trouble with extended warranties.
You should have been made aware of what the annual inspection cost (and what it included) BEFORE you ever purchased it. You likely would have made the same decision you are making now and wouldn't be out the cost of the 'forever warranty.'

With that said, if (BIG IF) you trust your dealer and you are not mechanically inclined and know in advance what they might perform during the inspection, it may be worth it to have them do it. If it involves resealing the roof, flushing the water heater, checking brakes & axles, servicing the furnace, checking the propane system and a general good once over, then you'd likely pay someone that amount anyway to have those items looked at and/or serviced.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=36
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Biker View Post
Did you ask what the inspection included on your RV?
We have it on our travel trailer and the annual cost is $200 for the inspection but there is a list of things that are done to the trailer (we just had ours done)
Reseal roof
Lubricate axels
Clean furnace
Flush holding tanks

I donít think itís a bad price for what they do and to keep everything covered under warranty.
Seems high to me..... fine print?? $200 for $50 of work.......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
How much is an AC unit worth, a refrigerator, furnace, microwave, cook top, range...all covered under warranty.
Seems worth it to me and that is all that matters.

2019 Ford F-250 Super Cab 6.2L Lariat
2016 ML23FB
MT Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:01 PM   #6

Thanks MT and 5Picker...

The inspection is just "inspect"... I can always have that done elsewhere, and after some real use. The chassis is a Mercedes Sprinter 3500, and covered by M-B USA, of course. Will take it to a M-B dealer locally for that. They (Princeton Mercedes Benz) handle Sprinter based RV's (I asked).

The "Forever Warranty" was "free". So it was not a factor in decision making or price. Fine print, yes, there were notable exclusions, and the salesperson did mention the need to reinspect annually to keep the warranty in force. So I'm not totally surprised. Just taken aback at the costs. Sticker shock for work at dealership? Perhaps.

I also priced out a rear SumoSprings installation for $260 (part not included) for what should be under an hour of work. Nope, will do myself... can afford it, not a cheapskate, but price, associated costs, the inconvenience, and my usual skepticism about the quality of service work (everywhere, not just the dealer) makes my decision easy.

Yeah, I have a boat (Grady White) so I know... $$$
Old 02-27-2018, 01:08 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluStreek View Post
Thanks MT and 5Picker...

The inspection is just "inspect"... I can always have that done elsewhere, and after some real use. The chassis is a Mercedes Sprinter 3500, and covered by M-B USA, of course. Will take it to a M-B dealer locally for that. They (Princeton Mercedes Benz) handle Sprinter based RV's (I asked).

The "Forever Warranty" was "free". So it was not a factor in decision making or price. Fine print, yes, there were notable exclusions, and the salesperson did mention the need to reinspect annually to keep the warranty in force. So I'm not totally surprised. Just taken aback at the costs. Sticker shock for work at dealership? Perhaps.

I also priced out a rear SumoSprings installation for $260 (part not included) for what should be under an hour of work. Nope, will do myself... can afford it, not a cheapskate, but price, associated costs, the inconvenience, and my usual skepticism about the quality of service work (everywhere, not just the dealer) makes my decision easy.

Yeah, I have a boat (Grady White) so I know... $$$
Nothing is 'free.' You paid for it somewhere.
Many of the extended warranties are refundable. (most on pro-rated basis)
Since it will be void if you don't have the annual inspection, I'd look into whether anything is refundable upon cancellation.
Contact the underwriter of the warranty, NOT the dealer.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=36
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Nothing is 'free.' You paid for it somewhere.
Many of the extended warranties are refundable. (most on pro-rated basis)
Since it will be void if you don't have the annual inspection, I'd look into whether anything is refundable upon cancellation.
Contact the underwriter of the warranty, NOT the dealer.
The "Warranty Forever" product is provided to consumers for free in the sense that it's a no-charge add-on at the time of sale. The catch is that in order for this warranty to remain active you have to not only have the annual inspection done but you also have to have all maintenance on covered parts done by a "professional." You cannot perform your own maintenance. That's how consumers end up paying for this warranty.

You can read a bit about it at Home - National Automotive Experts
Old 02-27-2018, 01:33 PM   #9

Home - National Automotive Experts

Hi All, just checked... no cost to purchaser and hence no refund of any residual cost. AND since nothing is truly "free", my guess is that the dealer bundles it in, and then anticipates some annual cash flow.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Plus 120 miles and gas and $40 tolls = $$$$

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty