Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #1

FR Sunseeker vs Coachmen Leprechaun

I'm narrowing down my choices of a Class C for purchase hopefully by the end of the year. Am wondering if anyone who owns a Sunseeker checked out the Coachmen (also part of FR) prior to purchase. I'm looking at the Sunseeker 3170DS vs. Coachmen Leprechaun 32BH (both bunk models). It's a difficult decision because there are some items I like better on each of these models.

Has anyone on this forum heard good or bad things about the Leprechaun? Pricing on the models seems to be about the same and there are dealers for both within 30 to 50 miles of where I live. So confused.......

Thanks,
Leah
leahabtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #2

I posed the same question earlier and the consensus seemed that the Sunseeker was chosen over the Coachmen and Jayco because it has a fiberglass roof. There are other smaller considerations too. BCLEMENS did a comparison of Sunseeker and Jayco on an earlier thread. Do a search.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:20 PM   #3

Thank you, I will definitely look for this comparison as it will hopefully provide me with some questions to ask the Coachmen sales person.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
Commercial Member

You do know that Coachmen is now owned by Forest River, right?

A whole lot of the same unit, with the Leprechaun being a cheaper version.....
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #5

Yes, thank you, I am aware Coachmen is now part of FR. There are many similarities between the 3170 Sunseeker and Coachmen Leprechaun 32BH and I like some on each. When I started looking the two units were similar in pricing but it seems now that that the Leprechaun is quite a bit less, at least at the dealer I am considering (they do not carry the Sunseeker - salesman said wish they could but there is a dealer within 50 miles that carries the new Sunseeker model so they cannot).

Unfortunately a new 3170 may now been out of my price range....
Old 10-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #6

Where you at? RVWorld/Terrytown in Michigan has factory fresh or as-ordered Foresters or Subseekers at 30-35% off build sheet list prices.... I ordered mine and flew out to pick it up, I paid several thousand less for a loaded Forester then a local dealer who was peddling a stripped model.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:39 PM   #7

I am located in North Texas but would not have a problem ordering from or flying to another state for pickup if the price is right! My next step is to drive both the Sunseeker and Leprechaun to make sure I feel comfortable driving a 32' unit, although I don't expect that to be a problem.

Thanks for the tip - I will definitely request a quote from RVWorld/Terrytown in Michigan when I am ready to purchase, but first think I will need to work with Forest River to make sure there is a dealer or someone they can recommend near here for warranty work.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #8

Any FR dealer can work the coach with approval. If you buy from RVWorld and Terrytown they can authorize repairs or send you parts depending on the issue. I've had parts drop shipped to me. Good people, both at factory and dealer.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #9

Thanks again mwebber78! I've read comments on this site that say that some FB dealers are not good about doing warranty work if you do not buy the motorhome from them. Just trying to be cautious!