Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2015, 10:15 PM   #1

Fresh Water Tank

Just drained last years fresh water tank and now refilling it. It takes forever at a slow drip and just keeps backing up. Any suggestions on how I can get more water in at a lot faster time.
Bednarski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:03 AM   #2

Our fresh tank has 2 vents one exits under the unit and the other is at the fill port. When I fill the fresh I leave the under vent open and when it starts to drain I close it and slowly fill the tank up to capacity until it accept no more water. I can get about another 10 gals in that way. But, before I figured this out I removed the rather large loop in the fill hose behind the fill station. With the lower vent open it can put water in as fast as it comes out of the fill hose. Cost the lower vent and it takes forever

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:16 AM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Might check to make sure vent is not plugged. Why was the water left in from last year. Boy you may have other issues now with smell. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:50 PM   #4

The fill tube has a sag in it,
rekwiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:40 PM   #5

How can I fix it?
Bednarski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:54 PM   #6

I had the same problem with the sag in my vent causing an "air lock''. I inserted a small diameter plastic rod in the vent tube the same length as the tube which straightened it out. The external end of the vent tube has to be higher than where it enters the tank or you will start a siphon.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bednarski1 View Post
How can I fix it?

What model sunseeker do you have. I have the 3010 and the fill tube runs under the bedroom slide which is where the fresh water tank is. You need to find your water tank and get access to it and follow you fill tube from the inlet to the tank. Hope this helps
rekwiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:19 PM   #8

Water is in the low area of the vent tube and blocking it from working properly. You will need to blow the water out of the vent tube, back into the tank to clean it out.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
Our fresh tank has 2 vents one exits under the unit and the other is at the fill port. When I fill the fresh I leave the under vent open and when it starts to drain I close it and slowly fill the tank up to capacity until it accept no more water. I can get about another 10 gals in that way. But, before I figured this out I removed the rather large loop in the fill hose behind the fill station. With the lower vent open it can put water in as fast as it comes out of the fill hose. Cost the lower vent and it takes forever

Two vents? Is this under vent the drain? If not, if you fill the tank too full, you can bulge the tank out and cause it to bust open from the pressure (I think), and cause problems with the support not being able to hold the weight. Check into this a little more (imo).

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Two vents? Is this under vent the drain? If not, if you fill the tank too full, you can bulge the tank out and cause it to bust open from the pressure (I think), and cause problems with the support not being able to hold the weight. Check into this a little more (imo).
No It is a second vent just like I said, the drain is next to it. Also I don't close it until it starts to drain and then I fill slowly the rest. And like in My post I have another vent as in 2. BTW I have had my entire underbelly off when I replaced my brake wiring and to do some other stuff so I am positive on what it is

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:07 AM   #11

Here is a little helper for filling the fresh water tanks that I use to help avoid the "trickle fill or gushing back out"
.....these problems are usually cause by the sharp bends or kinks in the fill and vent hoses, and yes sometimes blockages.

I use a clear 1/2" hose about 2 feet long with no end to feed down the fill opening attached to the fill hose. A shut off attachment at the coupler to help regulate the pressure and then to shut it off when it's full.

If I just stick the garden hose in the top of the opening it will back up and gush out.....so sticking the fill hose further down the fill pipe works well for me . When it is full it will dribble out the vent hole/screen beside the fill access. I have only 1 vent (at the top and 1 drain at the bottom).

Side note: I prefer to travel light so dragging along full tanks of anything only means less mpg's, unless you have no alterative and you have to haul full.

Hope this helps

Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:35 AM   #12

Make sure the little screen that covers the exit of the overflow pipe is not clogged. I had the same issue last year where the fresh water tank started to be a huge pain to fill. I found there was gunk caught on the inside of that little screen. Once I cleaned it, tank fills fine again.
The Real Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank