Old 05-03-2015, 03:33 PM   #1
Navicula

Fresh water tank mystery solved!

We have a new 2015 3010DS and recently had our first shakedown cruise weekend. When we tried to fill the fresh water tank the filler hose immediately backed up and the tank wouldn't receive any water. I suspected a kinked or obstructed filler hose, so today we took a deep breath and made believe we were RV technicians.

The tank is below the bed. We stood the mattress up on end, lifted the hinged bed platform and bungeed it so no one would get beheaded working under it. I hoped to find exposed plumbing, but found a piece of 1/4 inch plywood screwed down instead. Removed that (not nearly as easy as you would think) and found the mother lode! The fill hose was secured to a piece of framing with a wire tie ABOVE the level of the fill opening on the outside of the coach. This is a gravity feed tank! Here on the East Coast, water doesn't run uphill. I freed the hose and pushed it lower, and abracadabra- we could fill the tank. I love physics!

Hopefully, future technical issues will be as easily corrected (but I'm Irish, and we're professional pessimists, so I doubt it).

Old 05-03-2015, 03:36 PM   #2

Look something like this?
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1430681757938.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	257.6 KB
ID:	76026

Old 05-03-2015, 03:47 PM   #3

What ever happened to zero tolerance in Quality Workmanship. Even the Amish workers are affected!!!!!
Old 05-03-2015, 03:48 PM   #4

Ha! The structure next to the water tank is the outside storage. Half of the screws that hold the paneling on never even hit the wooden studs.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:14 AM   #5
Navicula

Close, but not exactly- there is much less exposed under the panel we took off. We would have to remove a shallow storage area to get this much access. Thank goodness we didn't have to go that far!
Old 05-04-2015, 01:43 PM   #6

Forrester too

What a crying shame that Forest River designers and technicians screw up so badly with this filler hose to the fresh water tank. I had to spend many hours tweaking on the route of my Forester filler hose to get the water to flow into the FW tank. I used an adapter (the kind you buy at the RV supply store) on my drinking water hose that had a ball valve to turn on the water flow that just wash't long enough to reach into the filler hose to keep the water from flowing back out the filler fitting on the side of the motor home. Even after I got the slope of the filler hose to the FW tank as uniform as possible. Ended up making my on FW tank filler fitting from another drinking water hose with a long enough spout to fit in and turn the first curve.

Forest River designers and techs. need to simply put the filler connection on the outside of the motor home higher to have enough head to have the water flow to the FW tank even with slight dips in the filler hose. It is a no brainer.

Glad you could get your filler hose routed better than the install techs.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:07 PM   #7

Wow, interesting timing on this thread.

We just got our 2700DS out of storage and finally figured out why the rear storage compartment often has water in it when we first arrive at a destination.

After filling the fresh water tank on the weekend, we noticed water dripping down from the compartment above. Our bed is in a slide over the fresh water tank so I don't know how difficult it's going to be to access below the bed.

Looks like another DIY RV technician adventure...
Old 05-06-2015, 09:40 PM   #8
GM

If you take off the mattress, as I recall, the foot of the bed stays fixed (the wood platform) and just rests on the part that slides in and out...so if you lift that board from the end closest to the head of the bed, the whole thing lifts up.

Been a while though...my memory is not what is used to be.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzIrby View Post
What a crying shame that Forest River designers and technicians screw up so badly with this filler hose to the fresh water tank. I had to spend many hours tweaking on the route of my Forester filler hose to get the water to flow into the FW tank. I used an adapter (the kind you buy at the RV supply store) on my drinking water hose that had a ball valve to turn on the water flow that just wash't long enough to reach into the filler hose to keep the water from flowing back out the filler fitting on the side of the motor home. Even after I got the slope of the filler hose to the FW tank as uniform as possible. Ended up making my on FW tank filler fitting from another drinking water hose with a long enough spout to fit in and turn the first curve.

Forest River designers and techs. need to simply put the filler connection on the outside of the motor home higher to have enough head to have the water flow to the FW tank even with slight dips in the filler hose. It is a no brainer.

Glad you could get your filler hose routed better than the install techs.

Sometimes you can't just raise the filler connection because it would then be in a movable slide wall. I installed a fill line and valve between the tank drain line upstream of the drain valve and the main cold water header. I just connect the water supply to the city water connection then open the valve to fill the tank. No mess no fuss.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:01 AM   #10

Does Forest River Engineering get and/or read these post? Seems like it would be a good idea.

2014 Sebastian Charleston,SC to Finger Lakes, Lake Erie, Lake Cowanesque,PA and home
2015 Sebastian to PA,NY,WI,MN,return to NY and home
2016 GA,SC,NC,TN,KY,OH,PA,NY,to Sebastian,FL
WSY DD693 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank