Old 11-16-2015, 05:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Youroo, your the last person I would ask. At my house I couldn't put a drink on the table and take my hand off of it in your TT...
I was going to add that the (VA C/G) in Clarksville,VA. must have been built on a( Old Nuclear Waste Dump),the ground would Glow and was Very warm! Also I think the Little Neighbor Boy was letting Air out of our Tires on 1 side! If you had let him ride that New Scooter things might have been better? Youroo!!

Old 11-16-2015, 05:35 PM   #22

🚔🚔🚙🚙🚔🚔

Old 11-18-2015, 09:41 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by goots View Post
It's not good to have the front wheel off the ground not safe read your booklet that came with the RV about your Big Foot System you need to reset your Jacks on a level parking lot.

X2- no table with spindle legs is as stable as one with heavy legs and large solid bases. People have bent their frames with legs over extended and carrying all the weight. Stabilizing jacks are really just that, not 100% load bearing jacks. It's Easier relocate the rig than change levelers and frame parts.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 11-20-2015, 12:50 AM   #24

A lot of talk has been done about using a leveling system (like Bigfoot) and lifting tires off the ground. The rear tires should not clear the ground for 2 major reasons, parking brake is on the back wheels and the air bags are pushing in both directions. For the rear tire not to be on the ground the air bag is stretched out pushing the rear tire down till the suspension will not allow any more movement. Might not be recommended for the air bag suspension unit to be stretched out that far.

I still believe it does no harm to have front tire or tires off the ground. And for this reason; as soon as the level jack touches the ground and raises the vehicle even 1 inch it is starting lift all the sprung weight. That would include everything except tire, springs, shocks, brake, and axle. All the weight of the motorhome, which includes the total mass of everything (frame, engine, cab, motorhome, and all cargo) above the suspension, is already being lifted as soon as any correction is made in leveling.

It just looks scary with a front tire off the ground. Once the sprung weight is lifted correctly and held by the jacks it hardly makes any difference the height. But it would sure make sense to use good sturdy blocks under a leveling jack so it would not have to extend farther then necessary. So if that level lot has all ready been taken, it is time for the leveling jacks to live up to their name.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:49 AM   #25

If your front wheels are coming off the ground you should block them, so it will take the weight off the system. Then use the system to stabilize the front end. Your jacks should be able to support 7000 lbs each. That's the weight a LCI level-up is rated at. I would think that the big foot system would also be in that area. You coach would be alot more stable in front. Pick the unit up then measure the distance at level raise it a little higher put the blocks under the wheels and let it back down on them.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:34 AM   #26

Now camping with front wheels off the ground. No worries.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:06 PM   #27

If you want to carry wood blocks and those cheap made plastic why have the jacks it makes no sense to me if people have made up there minds that the tires shouldn't be off the ground then so be it but for one I just let it all hang
Old 11-21-2015, 12:19 PM   #28

I pull all the stones out of the threads of the tires when mine are up in the air, wife thinks I am doing something important sitting there drinking a beer spinning the tires
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 12:51 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boso View Post
If you want to carry wood blocks and those cheap made plastic why have the jacks it makes no sense to me if people have made up there minds that the tires shouldn't be off the ground then so be it but for one I just let it all hang
Tell me that when they start to sink and twist your frame at 1 AM.....
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 03:13 PM   #30

I started this thread because there was no consensus as to whether the front wheels could be off the ground. This thread has shown there is still no consensus. It seems that some say I am ok to jack it to the sky and some say it isn't ok, my coach will buckle in half.

I need to go to storage and dig out my manuals and see what they say. Does anyone have the Forest River and the Bigfoot manuals handy? What do they say about the subject?

Ok, I found some info online about Forest River and Bigfoot and there is no mention either way about the wheels coming off the ground. So no definitive answer there. Does the manuals that come with the camper say anything about it?

Tags
wheel