Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2015, 08:57 AM   #41

Yes, marketing and also the site is referencing trailers not motorhomes (MH). It is true Lippert recommends not using jacks to change a tire on a MH but not because of chassis torque (2 jacks always extend and retract in concert with each other) but for safety reasons and also a CYA situation. Now, I think the only official statement you might find is not what should be done rather what should not be done and as previously stated, do not lift all wheels off ground (printed in Lippert owners manual). Yes, it's easy for someone to say it isn't safe but without some official reference it's just an opinion and should state that fact. Suffice it to say, everyone has an opinion, including me and to each his/her own. Everyone will continue to do whatever one is comfortable with, be it required or not.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 03:24 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Yes, marketing and also the site is referencing trailers not motorhomes (MH). It is true Lippert recommends not using jacks to change a tire on a MH but not because of chassis torque (2 jacks always extend and retract in concert with each other) but for safety reasons and also a CYA situation. Now, I think the only official statement you might find is not what should be done rather what should not be done and as previously stated, do not lift all wheels off ground (printed in Lippert owners manual). Yes, it's easy for someone to say it isn't safe but without some official reference it's just an opinion and should state that fact. Suffice it to say, everyone has an opinion, including me and to each his/her own. Everyone will continue to do whatever one is comfortable with, be it required or not.
This is why I believe that Forest River should offer a definitive answer - they provide the coach along with the installed levelers, so they should know what is appropriate.
mbauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 03:37 PM   #43

Why don't you just call and ask them, true it's people opinions, but there opinions are based on there practice or experience. If the so call marketing say's it is not made to do that why would you? That's like saying my microwave say's do not plug it into 220v. But it's only marketing and so what it will work If one jack sinks do to the ground condition with that weight it will twist your frame period. It can twist your frame using one jack to change a tire. There has to be some common sense here. They are not going to print or tell you that, 1) for sales, 2) for liability. They use CYA and will not pay for a frame. I guess this thread is about 50/50, so make up your own mind.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 05:03 PM   #44

Front wheels off the ground. . .

Got to thinking (ouch!) and realized this probably isn't so much an FR question/concern as it is a chassis manufacturer question??? So, I dug out my E450 books and can't find a word about voiding any warranty or anything about having fronts airborne except for the warnings about changing tires and jacking/blocking etc. . . Soooo, it would seem that we won't ever get a definitive answer from a manufacturer, too much liability associated with it. If "they" said. . . Then "they" would/could be held responsible for any damage(s) incurred..
Old 11-24-2015, 10:40 PM   #45

The service manager at my dealer advised me not to allow the front wheels to be off the ground. I usually have to drive the front wheels onto blocks to level without front wheels being off the ground. I have the bigfoot system for a sunseeker 3050s.
Sunseeker 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:45 PM   #46

Nice info, be safe don't take a chance..
goots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:45 PM   #47

In riding around the campground today there are at least 10 probably more motorhomes with the front wheels off the ground just hanging there, Sorry it just doesn't look stable....... they are all on concrete pads though....

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 02:02 PM   #48

It's just not all that important to me to be bubble dead center
If the site is sloped I use manual to bring jacks (on leveler plastic blocks) to as close to level as possible with tires still touching
Let's think about it,
Level is good,Stable is great. Wheels up means the unit is teetering on two 5 in points (front or rear) instead of 4 points per end (actually 6 in back)
I don't want the unit rocking when we move around in there and 10 total anchors is my goal
You get into a bad storm with gusty wind and your front is jacked up on just the Big Feet and your gonna wish your tires were on terra firma
Like I said I'll live with it not perfectly level and no official recommendation is needed for me common sense is the guide I use
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 01:09 PM   #49

Seems like too much worrying going on. I push the button and whatever happens happens. Front tires are almost always off the ground and never feel unsafe. What's the worst that could happen? If a jack fails we will land on the tires. The reason I had Bigfoot Jacks put on was so I don't have to block and level. Seems a lot more dangerous trying to drive on blocks.
Pacostaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 02:19 PM   #50

X10 Pacostaco you are exactly right
Old 11-28-2015, 02:30 PM   #51

X11!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel