Old 12-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
Love My Sunseeker

Ok, I have a stupid question. If you are plugged into shore power, how can you run the A/C on the generator? Do you have to unplug from shore power? I don't want to have to do that, then I have to reset my clocks! (I'm one of those people that has to have their clocks on Universal Coordinate Time....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geri View Post
I use the generator/roof a/c primarily for the jonrjen reason; the generator needs to be run under load to stay healthy; particularly with e enhanced fuels. But for convenience, mostly use the motor driven unit. There is probably a quart of fuel that lies dormant in the generator fuel hose and carburetor that, unlike the fuel in the tank, never gets refreshed unless you run the generator. Plus short runs (to microwave a hotdog on the run for example) doesn't give the generator a chance to warm up and drive the voitiles from the oil.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post
Ok, I have a stupid question. If you are plugged into shore power, how can you run the A/C on the generator? Do you have to unplug from shore power? I don't want to have to do that, then I have to reset my clocks! (I'm one of those people that has to have their clocks on Universal Coordinate Time....)

No question is stupid except the one not asked. Sunseekers have an automatic transfer switch to switch from shore power to generator. It favors the generator. So if you are running on shore power and start up the generator, as soon as it gets up to speed, the transfer switch will pull power from the generator instead of shore. When you stop the generator the transfer switch will detect that and switch back to shore power (assuming you are still plugged in).

Old 12-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #13
Love My Sunseeker

Thank you! I read about people running A/C on gen and I could not figure out how! without disconnecting shore power.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #14

When we got our unit walk through I am fairly certain the tech said to not start the generator while plugged in. Not 100% for sure but I think I recall that. He definitely knew it had a transfer switch as I remember him talking about that for sure. Just wanted to chime in with that to see what others think.
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #15
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
When we got our unit walk through I am fairly certain the tech said to not start the generator while plugged in. Not 100% for sure but I think I recall that. He definitely knew it had a transfer switch as I remember him talking about that for sure. Just wanted to chime in with that to see what others think.
Uh oh. I've done that twice this month. But only for five minutes.

Ok, now we have two opposing opinions. BC CLEMENS, WE NEED YOU TO CHIME IN HERE!!!!!!

Old 12-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #16

Thanks for all the inputs

Folks - Thanks for all your inputs and there were several things said that I will think about. Sorry I haven't responded sooner, but work got in the way. Seems to have a habit of doing that. Gets in the way of my hobbies.

On the inverter issue. The new transfer switches have an electronic sensing circuit that senses the input. Once it is determined which input is active it will activate a relay for that input (shore power or generator ). The generator takes priority between the two.

Everyone have a blessed Christmas and a Happy New Year.

BC & JC

FR 2860 DS
65ac.cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #17

My WFCO manual on the automatic switch states that it switches (after a 20 - 30 second delay) when it detects voltage on the generator side. It doesn't cover what, if any action the switch takes if unplugging and re-plugging into shore power.
http://www.wfcoelectronics.com/Image...rDocs/20-3.pdf

Bobby
Old 12-28-2013, 10:18 PM   #18

Good Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65ac.cobra View Post
Folks - Thanks for all your inputs and there were several things said that I will think about. Sorry I haven't responded sooner, but work got in the way. Seems to have a habit of doing that. Gets in the way of my hobbies.

On the inverter issue. The new transfer switches have an electronic sensing circuit that senses the input. Once it is determined which input is active it will activate a relay for that input (shore power or generator ). The generator takes priority between the two.

Everyone have a blessed Christmas and a Happy New Year.

BC & JC
Thx for this info, I suspected this to be true, but had not tried it yet. I will do this the next time I switch from shore power to gen. Thx!

Travel Buddy: Brittany the cat
Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote