Old 04-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #31
GM

Just an FYI, we are the only Class C manufacturer that installs 3M diamond Shield on painted units as a standard feature (at least we were last time I checked). We had too many dealers skimping on it...so we just add it now on everything.

This plastic shield covers the nose of the cap, wing walls and the nose of the chassis.

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #32

Good to know, wish the Forester had it on the lower wings, it really needs it. I'd still like to see a different door (maybe a slam baggage door) that didn't have the large exposed continuous hinge that chips every time it's opened - not being critical just offering an owners perspective.

Cheers.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebber78 View Post
Good to know, wish the Forester had it on the lower wings, it really needs it. I'd still like to see a different door (maybe a slam baggage door) that didn't have the large exposed continuous hinge that chips every time it's opened - not being critical just offering an owners perspective.

Cheers.
I noticed the hinge on my compartments chipped the paint as well the first time I opened one. I got some clear packaging tape and placed it at critical places where the hinge rubs to prevent the chipping.
As Brian indicated the Sunseeker full paint option includes protective film on all the leading surfaces including the front of the rear wheel flares.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #34
Tinkerer and Putterer

I was very pleased to see the 3M shield on our 3011. We got the paint option by default since the unit we liked on the lot happened to have it. I did not notice over spray or missed clear coat. However I do see orange peel. Nothing a few hundred hours of wet sanding with 1000 grit and maybe another coat of clear won't take care of but that's why the option is 5K and not 15K. The dealer pointed out that if we lose any of the covers or damage a door paint matching could be a bear and I agree. That is a major downfall of painted models. I would not have opted for the paint had it not already been there. If you want to protect your decals and make your rig shine pay a good shop 2 -3K to clean clear and sand your rig for you. Opt for at least three coats with sanding in between for good results. Then if you lose a panel etc all you'll have to do is get the replacement clear coated and you're done. Trust me. MUCH cheaper than attempting to match paint and harder to detect a replacement panel.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #35

We just got back from the dealer. Our visit was delayed a few days due to foot surgery I had last week, and during that delay they actually SOLD the unit on the lot! So we have to order one...

As it turns out, we went with the standard exterior and did not opt for the full body paint. Looking at the unit in person, the standard exterior is VERY nice. So we saved about $5200 on that, lol. In the meantime, we changed to the 4-door refer, added the 3M shield to the front of the unit, and are going to add Bilstein shocks. We also had some little odds-n-ends added like magic vents, another hand rail at the door and that sort of stuff. We also opted for the seat sliders that seem to be growing in popularity--although they are pretty low to the floor, it still beats losing all that space up front. We also got the Arctic and the Safe & Sound packages, as those had been included in the base price of the unit they had on the lot (but now has sold).

Overall though, I was very impressed with the look and feel of the unit. We thought about going with one of the other units (the 3170) they have on the lot--but both of us really preferred the 3010DS, all other things considered. So 6-8 weeks from now, we should be in a new RV. It felt good to get back behind the wheel of a Class C unit again--it's a pretty big difference to the Class A with a 400hp Cummins Diesel coach!

TB
Old 04-23-2013, 10:49 PM   #36

I'll be interested to hear your comparison between the two rigs, we love our 3010 but there is always the temptation to go bigger.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:55 PM   #37

Don't!

It's just like boating--very easy to get "two-footitis" with RVs. We've been there, done that...and are now going back. Things are MUCH less complicated with a 30ish-foot Class C, than with a 40ish-foot Class A Diesel pusher. No comparison. Sure we'll have 8 fewer feet to live in (we are moving from a ~40-foot Winnebago Ultimate Freedom), however we simply weren't using the coach like we should have been. We were paying lots of money to maintain the thing (and store it) when we really didn't have to be.

I'm very happy to be going back to a Class C. The unit we had 10 years ago was great, and we had many great times in it. While our lives have certainly changed since then, it feels very good to be going back down in size.

If you've got a good thing going with a Class C unit, I'd stick with it.

TB
Old 04-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #38

Thanks appreciate the advice!
Old 04-24-2013, 09:19 PM   #39
Plain Old Member

We moved from the 36' class A to the forester. As mentioned, lots less complicated. Sometimes miss the open space of 4 slides on rainy days, but we like the price and comfort of the C. I find myself looking at the A's at RV shows and on lots, but then I have to remind myself of why we switched to begin with.

2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote