Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2014, 02:20 PM   #1

Furnace and FAN don't work on DC ? 2014 Sunseeker 3010DS

It seems I need to have AC (Alternating Current) to make the Furnace and FAN work ?
Is that the way it is suppose to be ?

I know this should be the case for AC (Air Conditioning), but I would have thought the
FAN (and Furnace) should not require it be plugged in ?

Could this just be some 12 Volt fuse somewhere ?

Thanks,

Robert
Old 06-24-2014, 02:26 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Is your battery dead?

Seems to me the only way your furnace runs is with shower power.

The shore power runs the converter which in turn charges your battery for use not on shore power.
So when you unhooked the shore power and furnace doesn't work then a couple of things could be wrong.

Battery is dead.
Battery shut off is in off position. "If you have one"
A current limiting circuit breaker is bad or needs reset.

Does anything 12v work when not on shore power?

Lights?
Water pump?

Just a few ideas.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Is your battery dead?

Does anything 12v work when not on shore power?

Lights?
Water pump?

Just a few ideas.
Yes, lights, water pump ...

It was always my thought that the Air Conditioning should NOT work, except when
on shore or generator ? The AC, Furnace, FAN, HeatPump are all switched from the same little black switch in the bedroom, which is why I was wondering if indeed, nothing on that switch works unless on Shore power ?
Old 06-24-2014, 07:56 PM   #4

The furnace and fan should work with only 12v battery power. Check for a blown fuse as it has separate 15 amp fuse.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVer View Post
The furnace and fan should work with only 12v battery power. Check for a blown fuse as it has separate 15 amp fuse.
However I think a blown fuse would cause it not to work even on shore power. Maybe a wiring error and connected to the inverter output instead of the battery buss.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:15 PM   #6
2012 Solera

Are you talking about the furnace fan or the air con fan? On our Solera the FAN setting on the thermostat controls the air con fan only - and that fan is 120 volt (won't work on battery power). The furnace fan comes on with the furnace when the thermostat is set to "heat" or "furnace" (can't remember what the terminology is). The Fantastic Fan runs on 12 volt and works with battery power.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhroll24 View Post
It seems I need to have AC (Alternating Current) to make the Furnace and FAN work ?
Is that the way it is suppose to be ?

I know this should be the case for AC (Air Conditioning), but I would have thought the
FAN (and Furnace) should not require it be plugged in ?

Could this just be some 12 Volt fuse somewhere ?

Thanks,

Robert
Try to set thermostat on "heat" and fan on "auto". The heater should work by itself. The Fan is really a HVAC fan for circulating both A/C air as well as circulate heater air. It only works on 120VAC. The furnace and its internal fan operate on 12VDC
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:32 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

There are 1 or 2 (depending on model/type of RV) current limiter/fuses that can prevent the furnace from running on DC only; but run fine on shore power.

Basically these current limiters prevent damage to the battery from a short or over draw of DC amperage from the battery.

Depending on model, there may be one very close to the battery to protect IT from everything else. It can be located behind or very near the battery or under the belly cover attached to the frame.

There may be another (again, depending on type of RV) very close to (and inline with the converter feed to the battery) the metal umbilical cord connection. This limiter prevents a severed/shorted umbilical from starting a fire in the battery. (not in a MH - something similar in the Battery Control Center to isolate the starting battery)

They look like this and have a small reset button on one of the short sides:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	360426586.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	56300   Click image for larger version

Name:	NO POWER to 12 VDC.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	56304   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Photos 003.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	56306   Click image for larger version

Name:	camper 002.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	351.9 KB
ID:	56307  
Attached Images

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Try to set thermostat on "heat" and fan on "auto". The heater should work by itself. The Fan is really a HVAC fan for circulating both A/C air as well as circulate heater air. It only works on 120VAC. The furnace and its internal fan operate on 12VDC
I haven't really had a chance to try this yet. Although, I think there might be something to this. Right now, the temp here is 90+ so testing a furnace is kind of difficult. I'm looking into the issue right now because I'm considering some trips up into high country where I know early morning temps will be cool. The campsites up there are mostly primitive with NO hookups. I know the generator would work, but I also don't want to run the generator early in the morning to not disturb others.

When I had used the furnace, AC or heat pump earlier, I had always noticed that the "FAN" came on. This FAN is the one that blows air out the overhead vents. So, I assumed this is the only fan (besides the fantastic one). I didn't that maybe the furnace might have its own ? The overhead vents did still blow when the furnace was on, but I think I never actually had the FAN control set to Auto, only Low..

I do notice a couple of vents down low. I'm not sure if these are furnace vents or simply return air vents ? Anyone know ?
Old 06-26-2014, 12:15 AM   #10
2012 Solera

Yes - the ceiling vents are for the 120 volt fan associated with the AC unit. It will blow on heat (in addition to on AC or Fan) if you have Fan on the thermostat set to anything besides "auto" (and you have 120 volts available). The floor vents are the heat vents from the furnace - the furnace fan is 12 volt.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:11 PM   #11

I had the same problem. For some reason the wires that go to the AC unit are not connected or an open in the lines is present. I had to install a separate thermostat to the fan control wires to get it to work. FR was not help and I had to troubleshoot it myself...Im an electrical engineer.
Sun Seekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:56 AM   #12

Here is an explanation that I posted several months ago:

On your thermostat, the setting marked fan determines whether the fan on the air conditioning unit will run all the time, or cycle on and off with the air conditioner. However, when you are running the furnace, the setting will determine if the fan (air conditioning fan) will run when the furnace is on.

Move the thermostat to the "fan" position and you will see Hi, Lo, or AU (for automatic). Use the + and - key to change settings. Then move thermostat to Air Conditioning or Furnace, as desired (or Heat Pump if you have that option.) Here's how the fan setting will work:

When the furnace is on, the fan setting of AU (auto) will keep the air conditioning fan off at all times. (That's the air circulating through the upper air vents (ceiling). Only the furnace fan will cycle on and off as needed (lower air vents that blow hot air). If the fan is set to Hi or Lo, then whenever the furnace and its fan come on, the air conditioning fan will also run on hi or low speed. Hot air will come from the lower vents directly out of the furnace. Cooler (room temperature) air will circulate from the upper vents.

When the air conditioning is on, it works a little differently. In the auto position, the fan will come on only when air conditioning is needed. It will switch from high to low as needed to meet the demands of the thermostat. With air conditioning selected and the fan on hi or low, the fan will run continuously at the selected speed and the air conditioning compressor will cycle on and off as needed to cool the MH. (A continuous running fan can be helpful in blocking out sounds of noisy neighbors).

If you have the optional heat pump, the fan control will work like it does for air conditioning. Heated, but not "hot" air will come out the upper vents.

Air conditioning (and its fan--upper air vents) require 120v power, so you must have shore power or generator running. Furnace requires propane and 12v power, so propane must be on and battery disconnect on. The furnace will use a lot of battery power if it runs much, so batteries will need to be charged often (every day or every other day).

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy

Tags
2014, fan, furnace, sunseeker