Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2014, 11:36 AM   #1

Furnace Operation

I am still learning how to operate my RV. I have used the furnace in the past but I was not connected to shore power. Everything was fine and the furnace was nice an quite.

I was just testing everything out today and I noticed that when I turn on the furnace, the A/C comes on (I am assuming in heat pump mode). Is this normal. I do not want this because the A/C unit is rather loud. Is there a way to make sure the A/C does not come on when in furnace mode?

Here is a pic of my Thermostat.Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	408.2 KB
ID:	62291

Thanks,

Jeff
Jlklingejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:40 AM   #2

Change the fan operation to auto.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:36 PM   #3

Furnace Operation

To elaborate. Press On-Off until it is set to "Fan". Use +or- key until display shows AU instead of LO or HI. Use On-Off to return to Furnace.

When fan is set to AU (Auto) it comes on with the Air Conditioning or Heat Pump and cycles on and off as needed. When set to Hi or Lo, it will run continuously whenever Air Conditioning or Heat Pump is selected. When Furnace is selected, the overhead (AC) fan will come on whenever the furnace is running (the condition you were experiencing). Of course, the Air Conditioning, Heat Pump, and its fan need 120v to run so this will only happen when on shore power or generator. The furnace (and its fan) only need 12v to run.

Note that the heat pump is not involved in this situation, only the fan. It you want heat pump, you need to set the thermostat to heat pump.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 09-08-2014, 05:42 AM   #4

I just figured this out on the weekend myself. Couldn't figure out why the A/C fan would never shut off. Then it was running when the furnace was on so I thought it must be a FAN setting.

I was impressed how quiet the furnace is in these things.
jst3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:33 AM   #5

Operation of the digital thermostat has been confusing for several of us, myself included, but once you understand it you shouldn't have any problems.

Use the On/Off Mode button to select FAN. Then use the +/- button to select either Hi, Lo or Auto.
When using the AC and the fan is in the Hi or Lo setting it will run continuously while the compressor will cycle on and off.
In the Auto mode the fan will cycle on and off as well.

If the fan is set on Hi or Lo while using the furnace the AC fan will run continuously, so be sure to set the fan on Auto when using the furnace.
You can, however, leave the AC fan running while using the furnace to help with condensation problems.

After setting the fan, Use the On/Off Mode button to select COOL for AC use.
Use the +/- button to select the thermostat temperature setting.
Use the same procedures for the Furnace.

When using the AC, in the Auto mode the fan will run on high when the room temperature is 5º or higher than the thermostat setting.
When the room temperature drops to within 4º or less than the thermostat setting, the fan will stop for a few seconds then start again in the Lo mode.

Hope this helps.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:00 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Is there some way to key word this, or sticky it or something. I think this question gets asked on a weekly basis. Oh, wait...maybe a sticker by the T-stat. I'll see if I can get dometic to cover that.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Is there some way to key word this, or sticky it or something. I think this question gets asked on a weekly basis. Oh, wait...maybe a sticker by the T-stat. I'll see if I can get dometic to cover that.
What about a hangtag that gets hung on the thermostat? That lets the user see it and remove it easily. If you wanted to get real fancy- the hang tag could have a sticker on it if the owner wanted to apply it to the wall.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:09 PM   #8
Average Joe

Perhaps a small neon sign that's motion activated?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:18 PM   #9

This is the stuff the dealer is supposed to go over with you
And you take notes with a pad and paper or you make a verbal into your smart phone
I was given this tidbit in a book I read on buying an RV
Don't get me wrong they didn't cover everything but most of the basics
I'll be starting a thread later trying to figure out what in the heck a little white remote does?????
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:45 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I think a proper dealer pdi would have prevented this! [emoji106] [emoji102]

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:33 PM   #11

Sorry for the common question. Thanks for the replies guys.

Jlklingejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlklingejr View Post
Sorry for the common question. Thanks for the replies guys.

Not a problem. If ya don't know....ya gotta ask.....right?

There is quite a bit to these campers. Nothing hard, but alot to learn especially if you're new at it.

I had been camping for many years and when I first seen the Dometic digital thermostat, well it took me a little bit to get it down. Really threw me for a loop the first few times I heard it shut down for a few seconds while changing from Hi fan to Lo fan using the AC in the Auto mode.

I also remember once thinking the gas side to my hot water wasn't working. It was our first trip of the season and I had turned the electric side on while setting up and decided to check the gas side the next morning. Well nothing happen. I thought it was messed up until it was pointed out to me that the electric had already heated the water and there was no need for the gas to kick on since the water was already hot.

Anyways, if you don't know...ask. Might be something simple or it might not, but ya gotta ask to find out.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:20 PM   #13

There are no stupid question and I will continue to ask them myself
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:27 PM   #14

Heat Pump?

I'm also a newbie to all this and although you get a book full of manuals when you collect your camper, the one you want never seems to be there!
We have a relatively new crusader 295rst and living in Florida have never had to use the furnace until last night, when the temperature got down to the low 40's.
I too had the same issue that the a/c fan was running at the same time so was thankful to read the various posts that said I needed to put the fan on Auto - (never got a manual for the thermostat and it was set on HI from the factory!!!)
Mine only has three options fan, cool, furnace, so I figure my rig does not have the advantage of a heat pump?
My question therefore is even though I'm connected to a 50 amp supply right now the only way I can get heat (other than keeping the electric fireplace heater going all night) is by using up my propane gas?
Does anybody out there have any info on how much gas you would use if you kept the thermostat set at say 60F, all night with an outside temp of around 40F.
Would that be a practical thing to do or would you just buy more blankets??
Also another dumb newbie question, what happens when the gas bottle is empty - does everything shut down and do you get any kind of error/warning message???
Richbam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace