Old 05-13-2015, 07:42 PM   #1
gassing up the RV

We have a Sunseeker 2500TS. We got it in 2014 and EVERY time that I have filled the gas tank, it takes forever because the angle of the gas-fill pipe is of a different configuration than that of the gas-pump nozzle, i.e. they don't play well together. The upstart to all of this is that it is extremely frustrating, time-consuming and maddening to try to put any gas in at all, much less as big a tank as this puppy has. I have tried every angle, position and orientation, as would the most ardent swain, but I have yet to come up with a repeatable method of fuel delivery. I cannot be the only one experiencing this madness. Is there any technique or device that can be used to help? If not, I fear I might win a four-year scholarship to Babbling Brook Sanitarium, with possibly a little graduate work.

Julie.Stox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:41 PM   #2
I've had the same problem with my 2008 3120DS for more than 7 years. Gassing goes good for a while then the auto shutoff cuts the flow off when you know the tank will take another 10 or 12 gallons. Sometimes you get a completely normal flow and other times you end up sending 5 minutes putting fuel in a pint at a time. I find it difficult to believe that that many stations have extra sensitive cutoffs. I decided that it isn't the pump but the level of the vehicle that's the culprit. If the drivers side is lower than the passenger side the fuel in the tank could reach the base of the filler pipe at which point you are effectively filling the filler pipe with gas and waiting for it to seek its natural level with the rest of the tank. Ground might not be level or the ground could be level and the coach could be listing slightly. Can't prove any of this but I can say that the station I normally use around home has a definite slight slope for drainage toward the passenger side and the tanks fills every time to within a gallon that I can top off.

milvet33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 12:15 PM   #3
Maybe take it to a dealer and have them look to see if maybe the fill neck is kinked or routed poorly.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 01:27 PM   #4
I have this problem at some stations also. Usually pulling the nozzle slightly out of the filler helps. Reducing flow from the "full on" position also helps, but this usually means standing there and holding the nozzle on manually. When at home, I have found some stations that consistently work and some that cause problems, so I think it also has to do with how their equipment is adjusted. Those that cause the most problems are the stations that no longer get my business. I don't believe it is a problem with the filler pipe, except that it is very short and filling at high volume causes the auto shut-off to trip.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
RvBill3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:45 PM   #5
I vaguely remember crawling under coach 5 years ago and finding a zip tie or something to tight pinching the filler and vent hose to the tank. Cut it off, no more problems in 5 years.
2011 Sunseeker 3170DS - 30,000 miles explored
funfinder5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:37 PM   #6
Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

jalvin is offline   Reply With Quote