Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #1

Gen auto transfer switch

Question 2... How does the gen auto transfer switch work? Leaving the shore power connected (hot) is ok when you exercise the genset?
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
Denver, CO

On auto the gen won't get much exercise unless you unplug the AC cord.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Auto switch will default to shore power first .

TURBS
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglou View Post
Question 2... How does the gen auto transfer switch work? Leaving the shore power connected (hot) is ok when you exercise the genset?
Yes thats fine, the auto swith priority is shore power is 1st available supply, gen set will energize but will not accept load untill the shore power is removed (electrically, unplugging is not necessary). The switch coil inside the xfer switch is energize by shore power, therefore whenever its available it will be the supply. Defaults to Gen set on loss of shorepower.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post

Yes thats fine, the auto swith priority is shore power is 1st available supply, gen set will energize but will not accept load untill the shore power is removed (electrically, unplugging is not necessary). The switch coil inside the xfer switch is energize by shore power, therefore whenever its available it will be the supply. Defaults to Gen set on loss of shorepower.
When exercising the generator, it should be run with at least a 50% load on it. Therefore, you need to disconnect shore power so that the generator takes the load. Run something that puts load on it. I have the AC with heat pump, so I run the heat to exercise the generator.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #6

thanks to all..

Good info.. Keep teaching.. Don't want to destroy the coach, would rather wear it out.. Any major "don't do that" messages?
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglou View Post
Good info.. Keep teaching.. Don't want to destroy the coach, would rather wear it out.. Any major "don't do that" messages?
Don't forget to plug your coach back in after exercising the generator. My personal favorite is Don't forget you're exercising the generator. Forgot mine once and left it running for about 5 hours., I was painting a room, finished, cleaned up, started watching TV, fell asleep and hours later when my Daughter came home she asked if I knew the generator was running on the motorhome?

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #8

I have a Lexington 255 and a generator problem, the generator runs find but does not provide power to the coach. I just replaced both batteries as they were bad, since replacing them I haven't had any power to the coach from the generator. I have power to the coach with shore power. Any help would be most appreciated.
flyboy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
Plain Old Member

flyboy90, sounds like a definite transfer switch problem. Pretty easy to replace one.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #10

Gen auto transfer switch

Could you possible tell me where that switch might be located on an Onan generator. Also could the switch be purchased locally or do I need to order a replacement from Onan? I have never had any trouble with anything like this in all my years of RVing, sort of feel like a newby right now. I sure appreciate your fast come back and info just need more. If possible I sure would appreciate any further help you could provide. Thanks again, John
Old 03-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #11
Director, FROG

There should be a circuit breaker on the generator, probably located on top near the "local" start switch. Check to see if that's been tripped. Bad batteries might have created a situation that tripped it. If so, the genset will run but won't provide AC power to the coach. Try turning the breaker off and back on.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #12

I have found only one circuit breaker on this Onan and I have reset it. This generator won't start if this one trips so their may well be another one that I didn't see. I'll check and see if by chance there is a second one or perhaps an inline fuse of some sort. Sure appreciate your come back and hopefully a simple solution is the one that solves this problem. I can use all the help I can get when it comes to this little deal, I have found over a lot of years that I never seem to know enough when these problems occur. Again I thank you for the come back.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #13
Plain Old Member

I forgot about that breaker. Not exactly easy to see on the 4k model. But, if you've checked that and it's reset, you've narrowed it down a little. It still is possible to have a bad breaker though. Unlikely but possible. I'm not where I can look at mine, but you could narrow it down by checking the AC voltage coming out of the generator with breaker on, genset running. If none, then it's possible for the breaker to be bad or maybe something else. If 120V +/-, then it's probably in the transfer box. If you're not comfortable doing that and know a fair electrician, they could help you out. Could check it near the genset or at the transfer box input. As for the transfer box, on mine it's located under the bed, which is next to the back of the main breaker panel. Very easy to following the wiring and see the shore power input, generator input and output to the panel. Most motorhome dealers stock one. A 30 amp model is usually less than $100. I'm not sure of the brand that FR uses, but there are several brands out there. Hopefully yours turns out to be a simple problem. There's only so many things that can go wrong with them.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy90 View Post
Could you possible tell me where that switch might be located on an Onan generator. Also could the switch be purchased locally or do I need to order a replacement from Onan? I have never had any trouble with anything like this in all my years of RVing, sort of feel like a newby right now. I sure appreciate your fast come back and info just need more. If possible I sure would appreciate any further help you could provide. Thanks again, John
Have you had this RV for awhile? I assume your positive you had power from the generator before you replaced the batteries? Just trying to gather some info, i know this thread is about an auto transfer but I don't see where you stated if yours was. Does it switch automatically or do you have to plug your shore power cord into a outlet on the camper to get power from your genny?
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #15
Plain Old Member

Forgot about that one Motocross. Think I overthought that reply above without enough info. Very seldom I see them without the auto switch, but I did see a new Mirada like that last year. In that case there would be no switch. Just the recepticle in a bay.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #16

When I run the generator it powers up the electrical through out the coach automatically. The generator was working fine until I had to replace the batteries and then nothing except for the fact that I still have shore power throughout the coach. I also have power to the fuses and circuit breakers inside the coach with the generator but it doesn't go any further than that, seems that it simple dies when it reaches the fuse/circuit breaker box. It may well be that transfer box everyone is talking about. Since I don't know what it looks like I am kind of at a loss to check it, like one of the posts I have a lot of stuff under the bed in my coach including some of the electrical, the box may be there. I'll have to check to see if there is anything there. I sure appreciate all the information that I am receiving from many members, many thanks to all of you.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:00 AM   #17
Plain Old Member

I'm a little confused. I'm assuming your unplugged from shore power when checking? If plugged in, I'd get off of the shore power and check the panel with the generator running. Both power sources go through the transfer box first before going into the breaker panel. If you do in fact have a transfer box, you'll find it. Should be a 10/2 w/ground romex (usually orange) coming from the back of the breaker panel for 30 amp supply. Not sure what they used on yours, but either way it should be the largest of wires going to that panel. That should lead to the box. Your shore power cord will also lead to it. I'll be coming home from offshore today and maybe I can take a picture of my set up and what the box looks like.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #18
Plain Old Member

flyboy90, not sure if you have resolved your problem yet, but I attached a few pictures of what our set up looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	General Layout.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	25662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Auto Transfer Box.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	25663  
Old 03-16-2013, 08:03 AM   #19

Thanks for the pictures. I haven't been able to solve it as yet but that will sure help. That will be under my bed as that's where my converter is. It is in one of those hard to get at area's as it probably is behind my water filter but at least I have a good idea of what to look for. I sure do appreciate all that have responded to my problem. I have been at the hospital for tests the last couple of days and if I have missed responding to some threads I apologize as I do appreciate any and all the help I have received. Again Thanks to all.