Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2015, 04:54 PM   #1

Generator controller and hybrid inverter?

I wonder if this can be done in a Sunseeker 2290s:

1: Replace the converter with a Magnum Energy MSH3012-M inverter, and move all house power circuits to it. This guarantees that all power coming in is at 120 volts. If there is a brownout at a campground, the inverter will sense it and draw from the batteries to make up for the lost voltage.

2: Add a generator controller. This is used so that if the batteries fall below 60% charge, the generator will fire up and run until they are at 90% charge.

3: Add a Progressive Industries 30 amp EMS (HW-30C model) hardwired in, as protection against miswires, and 240 volt dryer outlets.

Magnum Energy seems to have the best system, with a control panel, generator controller, battery monitor and temperature sensor, and the inverter. However, the inverter by itself coupled with an Onan Energy Command EC-30W would do almost as well.

The advantage of this setup is threefold. The batteries will not be drained dry (assuming no quiet hours and the genset has fuel), one can use electrical appliances without worry about turning on and off the generator, and there isn't a worry about over or under voltage destroying appliances. Finally, the EMS keeps the dryer outlets from destroying the vehicle's electrical system.

Has anyone done this as a mod?
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:13 PM   #2
Commercial Member

sounds expensive.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:32 PM   #3

It is not cheap, around $3000. However, I'm looking at doing this setup because part of what I may be buying is some rural land with an off-grid cabin on it. In the summer, there is a 7500 or so BTU A/C, which is easily powered by a 15 amp connection. I can just plug that into the motorhome. When the batteries hit their low water mark, the genset comes on, and when the A/C is not needed for the night, the genset charges the batteries and shuts off automatically.

I might do a subset of this. At the minimum, an Onan EC-30W controller which is about $524 from PPL. This way, I have protection from the batteries getting drawn too low, as well as the ability to store the rig and have the generator exercise itself every so often.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 03:43 PM   #4

My only comment is their is energy loss for each step and its not the most efficient.

120 volt AC -> 12 v DC-> battery bank absorption-> 12 volt DC -> 120 volt AC appliances.

For off the grid, go solar and try to keep everything DC.

Tags
controller, generator, hybrid, inverter