Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2014, 02:17 PM   #41
Commercial Member

Please do. I know of another brand having issues with their gen and the 15k Dometic. I haven't seen any issues with the 13.5...but makes me wonder.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:41 PM   #42

Dang hope they find something. Something has to be going on.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:13 PM   #43

It has to be something with the AC. If I ever get another day off I am going to bring it in to get checked out. They cancelled on me today. It has to be the starting capacitor or the head pressure on the unit is not bleeding off as it should (when shut off).

Guess we will have to wait to find out.
Jlklingejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:45 PM   #44

Have you tried it in heat pump mode? I don't know why that should matter but it does utilize a reversing valve to bleed off the head pressure so it sort of works backwards.

I'm still leaning towards a wiring fault though.
howzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:59 PM   #45

How would I even operate it in heat pump mode? On my control panel I just have fan, AC, heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-25-2014, 09:56 PM   #46
Commercial Member

You would not. The 13.5 does not have the heat pump. Only the 15k does.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:41 AM   #47

I have a 15k. I think........Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1409060400.789804.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	706.6 KB
ID:	61466Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1409060433.378147.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	825.4 KB
ID:	61467Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1409060449.523204.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	630.8 KB
ID:	61468

Old 08-26-2014, 08:55 AM   #48
Commercial Member

Well, that looks like a 15k btu. Which means you should have a heat pump mode. I wonder if having the wrong T-stat is an issue??? PM me your VIN and I'll pull the actual order to verify.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #49

I am scheduled to see a dometic certified service center soon. I have not gone on any RV trips for the past 2 weeks. I started the generator and started the AC 3 times during this time and everything worked perfectly. Every time I let the generator run with the AC on for 2 hours.

What the heck am I going to tell the technician. Should I have him instal a hard start capacitor? When I start the AC the generator bogs for 1/2 second, but doesn't die. This is normal though. It seems to be working perfectly now ever since I had a tech test my gen set with various loads.

I just know the next trip I go on it will fail when I truly need it. Or maybe not. I don't know. My warranty is good until March 2015 so maybe I will hold off a little longer.

Should I still take it in?

Thoughts?

Old 09-06-2014, 06:10 PM   #50
Average Joe

I would still take it in. If anything, it'll be a record of the problem.

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #51

Did you determine if you have a 13.5 or the 15k btu a/c? I thought there was some question about whether or not your rig had the correct t-stat on it since you lacked a heat pump mode.
howzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:25 PM   #52

I have a 15k with heat pump with the correct t-stat. I was wrong earlier. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1410125094.547221.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	803.0 KB
ID:	62319

Old 09-07-2014, 04:26 PM   #53

Just started it again today. No issues.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:37 PM   #54

I have only started my 5500 watt Onan once so while camping this weekend a storm came up and knocked the CG power off. I started the gen. and let it warm up for 10 min. then loaded it up with both A/C units TV's and coffe maker for 45 minutes and all went well no issues.
Hope yours is ok now and doesn't give you anymore issues.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
Old 09-12-2014, 06:53 PM   #55

I have had nothing but problems with my Onan 4K since the day I got it. Had the fuel pump changed by Cummins dealer and thought the issue was resolved, but have now narrowed it down to the AC unit load on it. I can get it to run fine, but as soon as the AC load is put on it starts to surge badly and will continue to do so until it dies.

I have brought every other load up on it in the rig and it ran fine. Shut them all off and turn on the AC and the surging starts (very hard on the AC unit) when it surges down and dies.

AC works fine on any CG or home plug including a 110 circuit if kept on low. I have the 15K with heat pump unit on a 2013 3011DS. Haven't brought it in since didn't need it much this cooler summer up here but pretty much the only time I do want to use it is to run the AC so its been no good for me to even have it.

I have done the seafoam treatment, and even the remove air filter and spray it directly into the intake to clean the carburetor. The generator has about 117 hours on it... much of it troubleshooting the surging.

Very frustrating and absolutely no lack of issues with these out there on the web to pursue. Most say replace the carburetor, but I'm not so sure. Very interested in what you are learning BClemens as to a common issue with the 15K unit with heat pump and Onan Gen.
EXTremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:26 PM   #56
Commercial Member

Therein lies the problem. We have lots of units with no issues, so it's difficult to pinpoint a specific issue. As I said the the private message I will forward to Dometic and get their take.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:16 AM   #57

Do you think your gen is under sized for your unit?
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
Old 09-13-2014, 07:50 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTremist View Post

AC works fine on any CG or home plug including a 110 circuit if kept on low. I have the 15K with heat pump unit on a 2013 3011DS. Haven't brought it in since didn't need it much this cooler summer up here but pretty much the only time I do want to use it is to run the AC so its been no good for me to even have it.
If the a/c is working on shore power then the Dometic unit is fine - but that can be verified with an amp meter.
A generator powering the a/c is at 50% capacity (a/c only, no converter/battery charger load or other 120 volt loads).
I suspect the generator is the problem. Do you know what voltage the generator is putting out both with load and without. The lower the output voltage the harder everything had to work (generator and air conditioner).
A generator sputtering under load is telling me a couple problems - fuel delivery/quality or intake air problems. Air intake would be the least culprit but still deserves checking.
A replaced fuel pump doesn't mean the problem doesn't happen with a new pump. Some owners have had multiple fuel pumps replaced.
The other problem would be fuel quality. There is no argument that these smaller engines hate ethanol. The higher the percentage of ethanol the worse the performance of the engine.
Ethanol is highly water absorbent so if the fuel is left to sit too long the percentage of water increases in the fuel.
Problem is, that water sort of separates and is hard to get it out of places like a carburetor bowl. It is things like running an engine at higher loads that stir up the water.

Another problem could be a fuel line restriction. Under normal loads there is sufficient fuel but under high loads the engine is starved. That was the symptom of the failed fuel pumps but it could be something as simple as a kink in the fuel line or even an obstruction inside the fuel line (a piece of rubber from the fuel hose).

Just a few things you can check

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, generator