Old 04-26-2013, 09:41 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Man I am sorry !
What a bummer !

Please keep us informed on what you find !

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou
Check your generator's oil level. Even a little bit low will prevent operation.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #13
Originally Posted by 4Gcampers View Post
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. It does appear it may be a parts issue, not just my user error. I did go straight to the gas station since I was at half a tank, but no help. I figured maybe the fuel pick up tube was placed to high.

Disappointed, we just pulled out from our camp spot to come home. We need power to run my daughters medical equipment, the whole reason we bought the class c. I just got it back from the dealer fixing all the other bugs. We've owned it for a month now, and not able to use being a the dealer. Not looking forward to leaving it again. That's the price we pay to have toys I guess.
That Sir is a bummer! Sorry to hear it. Just one more thing comes to mind. There is an altitude adjustment on the side of the carb. Its shown in the book. If its set improperly it will lean out or over rich the fuel mix. Based on your location, you can check the lever/scale adjustment and see if its close to where you are (elevation)
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:43 AM   #14
The "dealer" kept trying to start mine with the shore power hooked up. He couldn't figure out why it wouldn't run more than a second or two...finally figured out it has to be unhooked so there's another possibility for something wrong with the switching as I believe someone else mentioned above. Sorry to hear you have issues with your new rig.

I'm at BIR in Brainered this morning (we - CRA are evaluating the newly paved surface) running mine as I type.

Good luck!
EXTremist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:51 AM   #15
Check for fuel pump operation I would be willing to bet that is your problem
mshell56118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #16
Thanks Gents for your ideas. I will check that altitude adjustment. We live in Fl. Well, I do think the fuel pump is suspicious. When I hit the stop/prime switch on the gen, I hear a click, the light comes on then silence. My dealer said I should hear a "whirring" sound after prime which is the fuel pump. I don't hear anything. Our FR dealer doesn't service generators so I'm going to take it to the cummins Onan service center next week. Hope it's covered under warranty through them.
4Gcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:17 PM   #17
I hope you get it figured out. Please keep us up to date.

This happened to us twice. That is when I decided to install the inverter and add 3 outlets through out the RV so at least we had some power without our generator. We tow a trailer so I now haul a champion 4000 watt generator. I can buy 5 of them for what my last repair bill on the Onan was.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #18
Yikes. I can imagine repair bills on that could be $$$. With all the issues we've had since we bought our new class c, I've been having some remorse for getting rid of my TT. All the bells, whistles and conveniences are nice, til the break down. I'd rather have a simple Honda generator that I could go out and pull the cord on, and work every time. With only 2.6 hrs on mine I would have a stroke if they ask me to pay a dime to get it fixed.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #19
Don't get too worried yet. Your Onan generator is warranted for 2 years or 2000 hours parts and labor plus a third year for major components.

If you don't have a warranty sheet with your coach's documents, download it from the Cummins Onan web site at:
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #20
Good to know thanks! I'll download it for sure. Our dealer doesn't deal with the repairs on generators so they knew very little about getting it repaired/ warranty.