Old 08-31-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
Generator problem

Generac generator has less than 3 hours of running time and died recently while operating. Unit will not start. I've determined the 12V lead to the fuel shut-off is only energized for a couple of seconds which is not letting the fuel through the carburetor. The oil level is full. The dealer repaired this generator right after purchase when it wouldn't carry a load. And now this!

RichardMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:34 PM   #2
Welocome to the forums

The way I read your post, sounds like you already answered your own question. If the fuel shut off is not letting fuel to the carb then that sounds like the problem to me.

"I can fix it, and if I can't fix it, I can fix it so no one can fix it!"
Ed & Wendy
2009 Georgetown 378TS | 1998 Jeep Wrangler | 1998 Skeeter ZX202C
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:44 AM   #3
Happy to Be Camping
Location: We live in Rhode Island, but our hearts are in New Hampshire
Happened to my generator after 6 hours...turned out to be the control unit (solid state). It would start when cranking, but shut down when you let go of button. It was a warranty repair. Now it runs great. Hope this helps.
Shawomet3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
I had a problem with my Onan 4.0 generator installed on my 2010 Sunseeker 3120. After maybe 6 hrs, it would start and work with a load but when the load was removed, it stopped. I got stuck a long way from home, dry camping. I had it fixed twice! Second time, Onan replaced the circuit board. No further problems since.
funseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou
My Yamaha started acting up while dry camping in FL.

Since I kept the thing in the bed of my truck, I finally figured out why it would run sometimes and crank/start/shutdown at others.

It turned out that where I parked the truck determined the outcome.
Reading the manual about oil level was the final piece to the puzzle. Checking the oil, it was only slightly low. Not anything I would even worry about as I have run my lawn mower with almost no oil in it without trouble.
However, in this case, not being level made my problem worse since how I parked the truck changed the level of the oil in the sump just enough to screw with the oil pressure sensor. The level stick was WRONG since the unit was not level side to side (the location of the stick) and lots lower than I thought.
Parking the other direction allowed the level to rise enough to provide good oil to the pump.
Finding a level area and filling the sump to the top line solved my problem.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:55 AM   #6

Read about Generacket they are called the shake apart generater .I learned the hard way as some others also learned I have a 4000 rattler,shaker,noisey,pile of junk still and it will not put out a volt.two years old used just a few times and broke down motor runs but gen.dead. The way I went is honda! yep the last one I will ever need to buy 3000is heavy to haul yep, hard to steal yep, lol runs quiet as a mouse yep and yep better on gas.Oh yes runs the air yet the people are saying hello, not turn that damn thing off and it does not rattle like a bucket of rocks.Honda 6 years old now oil change every year on syn.oil same plug and the same honda battery little wee thing My wish is a remote start for night use some day the price will come down I hope
Bushman512003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:25 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou
Shameless Plug for US Carburation

My Yamaha EF30iSEb, as modified by Us Carburetion in WV to run on propane, LNG, and gasoline as well as added a remote start feature, was found DOA when I was preparing it for our trip south for the winter. I had let the battery go dead and it would not take a charge. The generator would start on a single pull as always, but would not charge the battery over 7 volts. Removed the battery and it would not charge on my charger either. Since the unit was out of warranty, I was off to the local motorcycle dealer and bought a replacement.

Not watching what I was doing, (battery not well marked) I hooked up the terminals backwards and there was a sharp "pop" when I hooked up the ground lug. Realizing my error (too late of course), I hooked it up correctly, but nada. Would not start on the pull starter either.

Sadly I was forced to call US Carb with my problem. Shawn, from Tech support, was awesome. He told me how to find the fuse located in the guts of the generator that protects it from dummies like me. So, after changing the fuse, the generator started right up using the starter. However, the remote wireless starter receiver was fried. Shawn decided that even out of warranty, the receiver "should have been protected better" and covered a swap out under warranty.

This unit was expensive, yes, but the support after the sale has exceeded my expectations EVERY time I have called them. Big Kudos!

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

sunseeker le