Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2018, 07:12 AM   #1

GFI outlets

I have 5 GFI outlets 1 bathroom 2 kitchen 2in bedroom. Only bathroom has reset switch. Bathroom one works other 4 do not. I am assuming they are on same circuit since only one has reset switch. No breakers are tripped no fuses are marked i.e. bedroom outlet, kitchen outlets etc so before I start pulling fuses any suggestions.

Thanks
Frankie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:31 AM   #2
geezer with gadgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Z View Post
I have 5 GFI outlets 1 bathroom 2 kitchen 2in bedroom. Only bathroom has reset switch. Bathroom one works other 4 do not. I am assuming they are on same circuit since only one has reset switch. No breakers are tripped no fuses are marked i.e. bedroom outlet, kitchen outlets etc so before I start pulling fuses any suggestions.

Thanks
Have you tried pushing the test button then the reset button on the gfi in bathroom? Also, this is all on the 120v circuitry. I don't believe that there are any fuses to deal with only circuit breakers.

Hopefully those with much greater knowledge will chime in with other suggestions.

Good luck!

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 30
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:44 AM   #3

I did try resetting the button no luck I want to add this is a brand new coach so maybe there something wrong with the wiring
Old 04-23-2018, 12:10 PM   #4
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:
I did try resetting the button no luck I want to add this is a brand new coach so maybe there something wrong with the wiring

Im not familiar with your coach but how do you know all the others are GFI? Is your breaker in the panel a GFI breaker? I assume you have a tester and are testing the power at the outlets and the breaker box. I’m sorry but my SIL isn’t here and he is my electrician and I’ve gone up to and possibly surpassed my realm of knowledge. [emoji6]

Alan
Old 04-23-2018, 12:17 PM   #5

Check for a GFI outlet on the outside of your rig. My TT had stickers on some of the interior outlets saying they were controlled by a GFI outlet. They were not GFI outlets themselves.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:14 PM   #6
Certified Curmudgeon

Frankie Z,
Assuming your GFCI has power and the downstream outlets do not. That is an indication that you have a connection issue on the back side of the GFCI outlet. Easy check; Disconnect shore power/turn genset off. Turn off any inverter you may have. Remove the GFCI outlet and check the output connection.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awilson View Post
Im not familiar with your coach but how do you know all the others are GFI? Is your breaker in the panel a GFI breaker? I assume you have a tester and are testing the power at the outlets and the breaker box. I’m sorry but my SIL isn’t here and he is my electrician and I’ve gone up to and possibly surpassed my realm of knowledge. [emoji6]

Alan

They have stickers stating they are gfi protected
Old 04-23-2018, 02:58 PM   #8
Site Team

Check for a second GFCI maybe outside.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:01 PM   #9

Go to your electric panel. Check all the 15 amp breakers. Turn each one off and back on. Since you stated you have a GFI in the bath I'm gonna guess you have no GFI breakers. You stated you have one it the bath. Does that one work? It will not reset if it is not tripped. test both buttons. 2 in the bedroom should not be on it but we are talking about RV wiring The bath GFI should also cover the kitchen counters and outside outlets.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:39 PM   #10

I had a plug-in that was not working. It turns out that it was downstream from another plug-in that had a poor connection on the rear of the plug-in. The plug-in had some type of push on spade system that slice the wire when it’s pushed into the slot. A poor connection meant that all the rest of the plugs were dead. It was not GFI so I am not sure if this type of plug-in uses those spade system.
sask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:54 PM   #11

Thanks to all who replied. I appreciate the time everyone took responding. Today I discovered it was a loose connection on the back of the GFI outlet that shut down the other outlets.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:56 PM   #12

good to know, and good that you found it

let's us all know what to look for when we have the same problem, and we probably eventually will : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:56 PM   #13
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thanks to all who replied. I appreciate the time everyone took responding. Today I discovered it was a loose connection on the back of the GFI outlet that shut down the other outlets.
Glad you found it.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:04 PM   #14
Site Team

If there is room in the box it is always best to replace the outlets with traditional outlets with screw type connections. The punch down outlets are quick to use, but as you found out not very reliable.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote