Old 06-22-2018, 02:28 PM   #1

Going look at 2007 3120 ds

Not new to motorhoming, but looking to buy my first rig. Solo widow so this is a big step for me. Would love some feedback on things to look for. Any known issues that should be inspected? They are asking 29k it has 11k miles. What is a fair price. Always indoor stored. New tires. Generator has 23 hrs. First titled In 2009. Is this going to be to much motor home for single woman? Thanks for help. Getting very excited.

Cathy

IlliniCathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:07 PM   #2

Welcome to the FRF and sorry for your loss.
Let me start with the simple stuff.
2008 was the first model year for the 3120DS. It came on a Ford V10 chassis or a Chevy V8 chassis. Depending on what you want to do with it, either one will work.
They are worth about $25,000 - $30,000 if in very good condition.

Now the hard part. It’s a 10+ year old unit. Everything is out dated. Other than chassis parts, if anything is needed it will be challenging. If you are up to the challenge and can do things yourself, it might be doable but if you have to pay someone to do everything you will be pouring money into the proverbial hole.

Next consideration is the lack of use this unit has had. That can be as bad as abuse. If it was not stored correctly, trouble looms. 23 hrs on the genset may be very bad.

So what do you know about this unit? What year and make is the chassis. The VIN will tell you that. What does the title read?

Still interested? or maybe alternatives?

Old 06-22-2018, 08:40 PM   #3

Hmm. Interestingly enough the lady said there was confusion over whether it was a 2007 or 8. It was first titled in 2009. It is on E450 superduty chassis. It has always been stored inside. Driven 1 x year on trip to warm weather and a few local trips after that. I will have to pay anyone to do repairs on any unit I get. But as Mother said, “poor people have poor ways” and y budget is 30k. I am hoping to get this for 25k and have 5k contingency repair fund. I guess I figured there were enough of these units on the road that repair parts would be readily available. You have given me more to think about. I appreciate it.

Cathy
IlliniCathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:33 AM   #4

Seems like you are interested in it so my suggestion is that you check service records to see if essential service was done. Even DIYers will keep records. Oil change every year. Anti- Freeze change around 2013-14. Brake fluid change (should ne every other year but with only 11,000 miles just once would not be bad. Trans fluid should be changed as well. Genset oil change. (Pfat chance that was done annually). There is more but I’m sure you get the idea. Lack of the above enhances your bargaining position. Also, everthing has to work. YMMV

Edit: Storing inside is good for the paint/exterior but does little for all of the systems.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniCathy View Post
Not new to motorhoming, but looking to buy my first rig. Solo widow so this is a big step for me. Would love some feedback on things to look for. Any known issues that should be inspected? They are asking 29k it has 11k miles. What is a fair price. Always indoor stored. New tires. Generator has 23 hrs. First titled In 2009. Is this going to be to much motor home for single woman? Thanks for help. Getting very excited.

Cathy

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:26 PM   #6

If you have not made the purchase and you lik this unit, have it inspected by a reputable dealer. May cost a couple hundred but IMHO it would be money well spent if major problem was found. May not be the end of sale, if the price is lowered to cover the cost of known repairs, all the better. Good luck.

Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote